My mom used to make this jelly roll as the fastest dessert, when we had uninvited guests (which didn’t happen very often), but yet it always tasted so special and festive. I guess all the memories from childhood are so special to us and in the adulthood we are trying to understand why and for what reason certain situations and moments felt so special for us. So here we go, for me it tasted special, even thought it’s the easiest dessert ever (for me) 🙂
Of course, you can make the roll even more special with different fillings, like whipped cream, custard cream, butter cream or even ice cream. I think dark chocolate roll with white chocolate whipped cream would be a porn-food in this case…hm yes, next time the roll will be all chocolaty 🙂
So as I say, this is a fast jelly roll and here is the recipe:
- 13 & 1/2 tbsp flour (sifted)
- 5 extra large egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla sugar
- grated zest of 1 small lemon
- 3 extra large egg whites
- 6 tbsp granulated sugar
- confectioner sugar for dusting
- Preheat he oven to 200C/400F and line parchment paper on baking sheet
- Beat the egg yolks with vanilla sugar until creamy,
stir in lemon zest and half of the sifted flour.
- In another bowl, place the egg whites, granulated sugar,
pinch of salt and beat until it forms soft peaks. Add remaining
- Fold one-third of the egg-white mixture in the yolk mixture and
gently mixing them together. Then add this mixture to the remaining egg whites and fold together gently, not to lose any air
- Spread the batter on baking sheet, has to be 1 cm high.
- Bake for 12-15 min. or until golden light.
- Let cool for 5 min., then spread the jam evenly over the cake and
gently (with light pressure) roll it.
- Trim the ends, dust with ice sugar, cut in a pieces and serve.
PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT