Hi there, hope you are enjoying your preparation for Easter. Me I am extremely busy, as I am preparing many traditional Czech meals and one of them is a rabbit with creamy tomato sauce 🍅 and as an easy twist I will be serving it with pitta.
Best way is to cook your rabbit a day before you plan to serving it. As the meat will get the time to absorb all the flavors and will be more tender.Rabbit’s meet is actually very delicate meat, so you won’t be cooking it for a long time, about 40-50min. Should be fine, of course depending on the size of a rabbit.
Rabbits are easy to get during the Easter time, so you should not have a problem finding one in your local store. My rabbit was around 2,5kg or about 5lb, which is plenty enough for 4 – 6 persons.
Recipe contains crush tomatoes in can, fresh rosemary and thyme, some spices and of course cream. You can use 10% up to 35%, depending on how rich you want your sauce to be. Sometimes I get the 35% and dilute it with milk or water, like this you use less cream and from the rest of the cream you prepare dessert, such as whipped cream with strawberries or white chocolate mousse 😋
- 1 rabbit
- 2 Tbsp of flour
- olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 4 fresh sprigs of rosemary
- 1/2 bottle of dry white wine
- 1 cup of cream
- 1 pkg of pitta
- Prepare the rabbit, separate the front and back legs, cut the spine in two parts.
- Season the flour with salt and freshly ground pepper and wrap each portions of rabbit in it.
- In a cast iron pot reheat olive oil and grill the meat on all sides until golden brown.
- As soon as the rabbit roast, add garlic slices, crushed tomatoes, herbs and pour the wine.
- Close the lid and let braise for about 40 minutes .
- Add 1 cup of cream and stir.
- The meat will be soft and juicy with rich creamy sauce.
- Before serving remove the sprigs of herbs.
- Serve with Pitta bread.
Well now when it’s done, you can serve right away or you can let it rest over night for even better flavor! And the opened bottle of the wine ? Yes my dear you deserve a to have a glass, after all this cooking 😉
Enjoy your meal or Bon Appétit!