When we say salad, we always imagine green lettuce with extra veggies, vinaigrette, maybe topped with some grilled chicken, etc. Nope, it doesn’t need to be always the same thing and doesn’t need to be always just green leaves or some weird sort of greenish unchewable vegetables. I am sure, that many of you, knows what quinoia is, but fro those, who doesn’t know… What quinoa actually is? It is a grain (or seed) packed up with protein, rich in lysine, iron, magnesium, potassium and fiber. It looks like a couscous, but it has much more nutrients then couscous or rice.
With quinoa you can prepare various recipes, like stuffed bell peppers or zucchinis, salads,cereal bars, cookies and more.
How do we prepare quinoa. Usually it’s prepared as a rice or couscous. You cook it as a rice, on the stove in ratio of 1 cup of grain and 2 cups of water. You might also follow simply instruction on the package you buy in your local food store.
On the market exists many variety of quinoa, you can get white quinoa ( most common kind), red quinoa (holds better it own shape after cooking), black quinoa ( more earthy and sweeter taste), quinoa flakes ( good as rolled oat for breakfast) or you can even buy quinoa flour ( for baking).
Let’s get the salad done and here is the recipe:
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 stick of celery
- 4 radishes
- 1/2 cup of canned corn
- 1/2 cup of canned beans
- 2 Tbsps of parsley
- 1 cup of parmesan
- 3 Tbsps of olive oil
- 1 Tbsp of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of grilled pine nuts
- In a saucepan bring to a boil water and quinoa, simmer for 15-20min. or until tender. Let it cool down.
- Cut all the vegetables on small tiny pieces except corn and beans 🙂
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together including the parmesan.
- In a small bowl mix all the liquid ingredients for the vinaigrette.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and mix well and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the pine nuts on the skillet over medium heat, until lightly brown.
- Serve your quinoa salad in a bowl or on a plate and top it with grilled pine nuts.
- Optional: you can serve with avocado or grilled chicken.
And there you have it, non boring, but healthy quinoa salad, full of protein, potassium, amino acids. You will feel good eating this salad, saying: well, I have done something good for my body! 🙂
Enjoy the meal or Bon Appetit!