Lemon tarts has been on my mind for such a long time and finally I got myself to write down the recipe. This mouth-melting little mini tarts are so delicious and very easy to make.
If you like sweet and little sour desserts, then this dessert is right for you and you won’t believe how easy it is to make. You will need already pre-made little pastry shells (16 pcs 2&1/2″ in diameter) from your grocery store. The bought ones will easy the process for you and will shorten the time of making the lemon tarts.
You may also make from this recipe one big lemon tart. Just buy the big pie shell You will need for the custard some eggs, brow sugar, heavy cream and a lot of… LEMONS 🍋🍋🍋.
When you will be mixing the wet ingredients: eggs, lemon juice and heavy cream…try first to whip the cream a bit and then add the eggs, lemon juice and sugar. Or better in one bowl whip the cream, but just a bit (until smooth peaks, not steady peaks), not as usually you would whip the cream. Then in another bowl mix egg yolks with sugar and lemon juice and add gently folding the whipped cream. I found that this method is better then the original I have in my recipe.
And why? If you mix all the ingredients together without pre-whipping the cream, the texture will be smooth and more like custard texture. But if you whip the cream, it will make it fluffy and bubbly texture, which I prefer more, the color will as well be more whitish because of whipped cream. It’s up to you which method you will choose.
As for meringue; when I was taking pictures for this recipe, the meringue didn’t came out very well for me and it was because I didn’t whip the egg white the properly. So once I took them out of the oven had nice form, but after 5 minutes it fall a bit down. Make sure you will beat your egg whites with sugar for good 10-15 minutes, so it makes thick white peaks.
Here is the recipe for the lemon filling (makes 16 pcs of small tarts 2&1/2 diameter)
- 5 medium eggs
- 150 g brown sugar
- 100 ml/ 1/2 cup lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
- 2 Tbsp zest
- 150 ml/ 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 egg whites
- 5 Tbs confectioner sugar
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon juice and zest for 1 minute. Whisk in the cream until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the mini tarts and bake for 30–35 minutes or until just set.
- Remove from the oven, pipe the meringue previously made (see the instructions below) and put back in the oven for 5-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave for 1 hour to cool completely, remove from the tin and serve.
Instructions for meringue
- Use an electric mixer to whisk egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, a tablespoon at a time, whisking well between each addition, until sugar dissolves.
Hope you will like my recipe, let me know how your lemon tart tasted. And if you have any questions or comments, don’t hesitate and let me know!😊
Have a wonderful day 🌝