It is unbelievable how hot 🌡🌞 it is here in Eastern Canada, so I decide to post this refreshing recipe of homemade cream 🍧, which is amazingly easy to make. You don’t need any special tools for it, no ice cream machine and you don’t need to use any dairy products and even sugar can be substitute with natural sweeteners, like maple syrup or Stevia🌱.
This is a dairy-free ice cream, which is suitable for any diet: Paleo, vegan, refined sugar-free. The main ingredient is coconut milk and then you add your own flavor of your choice. I choose vanilla flavor, so will be using vanilla bean for this recipe. And just to give you an idea, you can mix in blueberries🍇, strawberries🍓, melted chocolate or chocolate in chunks…there is many varieties to choose from. Choose your own flavor and comment below, to let me know, which one is your favorite.
Coconut milk must be bought in can (not in the box) and it’s because coconut milk in can is processed the same way as in the can. You will need to leave the can in the refrigerator overnight or at least for 8 hours. And it is because; it needs to take it’s time to settle all the coconut fat on the bottom and push the coconut water on the top.
And now you are probably guessing right, yes it is the fatty portion of coconut milk, that we will use to create our ice cream. When you will be opening your can, do not shake or turn upside down the can, because the goal is to separate the water from fat. We will be using only the fatty part of coconut milk.
I would suggest, before you start making this ice cream, buy yourself one extra can, just to try out, if your milk will be able to separate the fat from water. Because, in my own experience, I have bought 2 different brands of coconut milk and even, if I treated it the same way, one turned out not to be able to separate the fat from water. So just make yourself sure, that the brand you are buying is the one which will work.
- 3 cans of coconut milk
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
- Chill (2) two cans overnight in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, you can prepare in advance; Empty the content of (1) one can of coconut milk in a saucepan.
- Add maple syrup; bring into boil and simmer gently for 30 minutes or until the milk becomes thick as condensed milk and reduce by half (approximately).
- Remove from heat and let cool completely. Put in refrigerator for 1 hour. You can prepare this a day before making your ice cream.
- Take the other 2 cans of chilled coconut milk. Open carefully, you can see that the mil fat (cream has risen to the top or bottom; simply it separated the fat and water).
- Scoop the cream into a mixing bowl. Discard the coconut water or drink it.
- With an electric beater and whipping fork, whip up the coconut cream on highest speed until it’s light and fluffy (5-10 minutes).
- Add the sweetened coconut milk, we prepared in advance and whip on high speed for another 5 minutes.
- Add your flavoring, mix again and transfer it to a container with lid and freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Once well frozen, scoop it in your favorite cone or on top of your favorite dessert.
Enjoy making this ice cream with your kids and let me know how it went and how did you like it. Have a great weekend everybody and keep in mind: messy kitchen is a sign of happiness 🙂