And we are almost in the finishing line…Christmas shopping is taking the last curve, gifts are being packed, kitchen and dinging room is clean (or not 😜); awaiting the rush of cooking, receiving people…yes it’s here…Can you feel it? Christmas is here 🎄
and now it’s the time to take the last little break, before all the invite will be at your place…it is a time to put on mellow Christmas music and take out that bottle of eggnog🍸, sit down; take a first sip, second….and you are completely melting aww, finally!!
What is eggnog; Eggnog, egg nog or egg-nog, historically also known as milk punch or egg milk punch, is a rich, chilled, sweetened, creamy dairy-based beverage traditionally made with milk, cream, sugar, whipped egg yolks, nutmeg and of course rum 😜. My version is extremely easy and extremely fast.
So I won’t be taking way to long, explaining what eggnog is, everybody knows what it is. Maybe just a little explanation; how do they call eggnog in Czech? “Vajecny konak” which literally means “Egg cognac”, very similar to the English name, but what about in French? In French they call it “lait de poule” which means “chicken’s milk”; probably the name refers to the version of eggnog without alcohol. Alright enough of talking, let’s do some good Christmas eggnog with rum of course👍🍸.Cheers!!
- 2 cans of condensed milk (sweetened)
- 1 vanilla sugar 9g
- 125 ml heavy cream 35%
- pinch of nutmeg
- 8 egg yolks well whisked
- 500 ml dark rum
- In a glass large bowl ( ideally glass bowl for water bath), whisk condensed milk, vanilla sugar, heavy cream and nutmeg.
- In a medium saucepan, heat a water and at simmer point add over the saucepan, the glass bowl with the mixture you prepared.
- Heat the mixture in water bath, until it starts to simmer, stir continuously.
- Once the mixture simmers, add the egg yolks and whisk vigorously (you may use electric mixer at this point).
- Once the mixture starts to be foamy and thickens, it means it’s done.
- Let chill for 30 minutes and add rum; whisk to combine.
- Pour the eggnog into sealable glass bottles.
- Let chill overnight and it’s ready to be served!🎄🍸
Enjoy your eggnog with your closed once! Don’t forget to share this very typical holiday drink. You can even share with kids, if you make the version without rum of course! If you like it less sweet, use then condensed milk unsweetened or use instead evaporated milk. Condensed milk is very thick, so even if you don’t like thick consistency, then 1 can of condensed milk and one can of evaporated milk, should be perfectly fine.
Have a Happy Holidays friends!!🎄😍✌