These little cakes, comes from the Austrian spa town of Bad Ischl. In the time, Emperor Franz Joseph and all of his court used to buy these little cakes from very famous confectioners in the region in big boxes, that’s how good they were! And they were called with the apt name Ischler Törtchen or Ischler little cakes.
There is many versions of Ischler little cakes. You may find them in chocolate or vanilla version. Filling is made of course with nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts or almonds), little bit of butter, few drops of rum for aroma and by adding layer of apricot jam, it will become a classic little cake. Then of course, cover in chocolate and on the top we will add little touch up decoration, half of white almond. Or if you want to be more creative as I was, you can make little flower decoration from white chocolate on top of milk chocolate.
And then we will have this famous Ischel cake ready to consume…ehm not this fast, we should let it rest a bit, at least overnight, so the aroma of rum and nuts will penetrate well through the baked dough. This is always very important, let rest your cookies for overnight in the refrigerator.
- 210 g all purpose flour
- 70 g fine sugar
- 1/2 pkg vanilla sugar (4 g)
- 1 tbs milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 125 g soft butter
- 150 g grounded nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds)
- 100 g icing sugar
- 3 tsp rum
- 80 -100 g apricot jam + extra jam for second layer
- 400 g chocolate for decoration
- white almonds for decoration
- In a medium bowl, with electric mixer, mix all ingredients until combined together.
- Shape the dough in a round ball, cover in plastic wrap and let sit for an hour in refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven on 160 C/ 320 F, middle rack.
- Take out the dough from refrigerator and place the dough on a clean dusted surface. Roll out 1/4 inch thick dough.
- Cut out round shapes and bake in preheated oven 160 C/ 320 F for about 5 -8 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges.
- Let cool down for about 10 minutes and meanwhile you can prepare the filling.
- For the filling, in a medium bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Spread the filling over the baked round (half of the batch), add layer of apricot jam and cover the the other half of rounds.
- Let chill in refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Now melt the chocolate, dip the top half of a cookie and decorate with half of an almond.
- Let chill overnight and then go and taste them, hm yummy 😋😉🎄