Last weekend I had a chance to do this very famous almond cake, which is well known in France. It is called Galette des Rois👑 or in English we would translate King’s cake.
In France this cake is made for special occasion and it is the celebration of Epiphany day or Three kings day on January 6th. This galette has not only a beautiful rustic looks, it even comes with little cute tradition, which especially your children will love!😍
This French tradition is very cute and amusing for children. In the galette, French people hide a little piece of feve or almond or little cartoon character toy (preferably for a child) and when they cut a cake, the person, who gets the piece of cake with this almond or little toy, that person is a King and obviously King has to has to be crowned. So don’t forget to provide your cake with a nice homemade crown for the King or in lady’s interpretation the Queen.
Your kids will love this. You can add a little game with coronation, who wouldn’t love to have it’s own coronation! I never actually got this little almond, so I have never been a Queen, so every year I am repeating this little tradition with King’s cake, so I have more chances to get the crown😜👑.
If you decide to hide in the cake little toy, make sure the children do not crack their teeth on it. Make them cut the cake in little pieces, before they eat it. I usually bake small almond inside, this will soften in baking process and everybody’s smile is saved for another year!😉
If you are deciding to go with homemade puff pastry, make sure you keep it in the fridge until you are ready to work with. I find that homemade puff pastry is more delicate and is sensitive on temperature. As well as prepare it a day before you decide making the King’s cake. On the other hand store bought puff pastry is capable or resisting almost anything!
First you need to prepare your almond filling, which will need to chill for about 30 minutes or so and in the meanwhile you could start to roll out your puff pastry. Then it goes fast, you fill it with almond filling, cover with the other part of puff pastry, brush it off with egg and baking is only 30 minutes, so really easy recipe to do, especially, if you have a store bought puff pastry.
I would recommend to prepare the cake the day you will be serving it, because puff pastry will become more chewy after one day. So if you want to have extra crispy cake, prepare it in the morning, like this you can already enjoy it with afternoon coffee ☕🎂
GALETTE DES ROI – KING’S CAKE RECIPE 👑
Preparation: 45 MIN Cooking: 30 MIN Servings: 6-8 persons
- 1 cup /100 g almond flour
- 1/2 cup /100 g sugar
- 3 1/2 ounces /100g unsalted butter, cubed, at room temperature
- zest of 2 tangerines
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- pinch salt
- 2 tsp rum
- 1 pound /450 g puff pastry, divided in two pieces
- one piece of almond
- In the food processor, combine the almond flour, sugar, salt,orange zest, butter, eggs, along with the rum and almond extract and mix until smooth texture.
- Cover with plastic foil and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF (180ºC.)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or if you have a pan for quiche use it and butter it lightly.
- On lightly floured surface, roll one piece of puff pastry into a circle about 9 inches round (use springform as your guide).
- Trim the dough into circle. Place the dough on the baking sheet or in quiche pan.
- Place the almond filling in the middle and spread uniformly, leaving 1 inch of borders exposed.
- Place an almond somewhere in the almond filling.
- Brush water around the exposed dough ( so the other part of dough would stick well together).
- Roll out the second piece of puff pastry into same circle and then place the other circle of dough on top of the cake and press down to seal the edges very well.
- Use your fingers to press on the edges to create petal leaf and use a paring knife to create a design on top.
- Stir together the egg yolk with the milk and brush it evenly over the top.
- Use a paring knife to poke 5 holes in the top, to allow steam escape while baking.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking rack.
- The cake will deflate and it might not be perfectly even as it cools off, but it will taste perfectly well, serve at room temperature.
Enjoy it and don’t forget to let me know, how it went!