CAULIFLOWER MINI FRITTERS
writen by @JuliaRecipes
“This post may contain affiliate links. Please see disclosure page for more information.”
Hi my lovely foodie lovers and dedicated fans! Let me first thank you so much from the bottom of my heart, you are my foodie world, that means a lot to me and thank you for sharing my recipes!❤
This post is about good food! Why do I call it good food? Because it’s good, crunchy, cheese, bacony, good and healthy as well! It’s like eating ice cream made from carrots 🥕, it tastes good, it’s creamy, but still healthy, because of the carrots factor, right? Now you might be smiling and saying, oh what is she up to? I am up to some good cauliflower mini fritters or you can call them cauliflower thick pancakes, however you wish to call them, they will still be good and cheesy!!🧀
I am, as any other mom out there, trying to make my kids to eat more vegetables. I could be writing a fairy tales about veggies vs kids! How many recipes I have tried, to get more veggies in my kids diet, since they were little. How many veggie fights we had and how many tricks I tried on my kids. Non of this helped, to get my kids to eat more veggies. So I started to hide the veggies inside the food, kinda cook the veggies inside other food, they liked. They always sort of figured it out anyways. So, I was making a lot of soups mainly to get their daily vegetable intake. But you can’t eat daily ,just a soup,right?😉
So I came out with this idea to cook whatever they loved the most and I added some cooked and mashed vegetables in it, so they would not be able to recognize the taste of vegetable. At this time it was cauliflower and potatoes, I mash it lightly, add some better stuff, like bacon or bits of ham, some fried onions (gives better taste), cheese, flour, eggs and I created this mushy dough, where I started to first shape it in big balls. Sort of like meat balls.
But then, when I was frying it, it started to came a part. I was not into adding more flour of breadcrumbs, so I just simple squished these balls with my palm of my hands and it came out as nice as little bite sized cauliflower patties. And I loved it, it was easy to fry, wasn’t falling apart, the smell of parmezan was going all around the house and since I was able to take out the first batch from the skillet, my kids were around me, asking me, what is it you are cooking? ☺Yes for the first time I got them on my side with veggie dish 😄😁 This recipe makes 22 pieces of bite size fritters approximately. You can serve it as a main dish aside with rice or mashed potatoes.
CAULIFLOWER MINI FRITTERS
Preparation time: 30 minutes⭐cooking time: 40 minutes⭐ servings: 22 pieces (4 persons)
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2-3 medium potatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1-2 cups of ham cut in small cubes
- 1 cup mozzarela cheese (shredded)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (shredded)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs + some extra for covering
- 1/2 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- canola oil for frying
- Cut cauliflower into smaller pieces, peel and cut potatoes and cook in boiling water until tender, about 10-20 minutes. Drain and mash the cauliflower with potatoes with potato masher. Let aside to cool down.
- In the meanwhile, reheat a bit of oil in a skillet. Peel, cut onion on small pieces and fry it on a medium heat for 5 minutes, then add the cubed ham and fry for another 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Add the fried onion and ham into the caulifower mixture and add cheeses, eggs, breadcrumbs, flour and seasoning.
- Combine all the ingredients with your hands and start to roll balls in a size of bigger ping-pong ball, then squish it in between your palm of your hands to create a mini patties. Cover in seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Heat skillet to medium/high heat and fry for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Healthier version would be baked, so if you want to bake your cauliflower fritters. You simply reheat your owen on 350F/177C, place the fritters on baking sheet protected with parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes or until crispy brown.
- Let stand for 2-3 minutes (it will be hot) and serve with favorite dipping sauce or you can try my curry sauce, so easy!
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt & pepper to season
- Mix all indgredients in small bowl with spoon, season and enjoy!