APPLE SMOKED PORK RIBS
written by @JuliaRecipes
“This post may contain affiliate links. Please see disclosure page for more information.”
We have a Father’s day around the corner and so I thought I would share with you this new recipe I tried the other day. My family loves it and I can say they even went crazy over this beautifully baked, grilled and smoked piece of pork ribs. My son had told me, that I am his favorite chef, aww what a cutie right ! Believe me you are going to love it and as you know me I like easy recipes to do, so trust me, this one is really easy to do.
This recipe is very easy to make, you will need just few ingredients and little bit of your time and then it will be baking itself in the oven for about 2 hours (depending on the size of your ribs) and then little bit of grill action. Seasoning ! I use every time different seasoning for ribs, once I go for BBQ seasoning, once I just grab some spices what I have laying around the kitchen. This time I went really easy and with simple spices, salt, pepper, smoked paprika and liquid smoke.
If you want your ribs to have nice smoky flavor, use liquid smoke. If you don’t have at home liquid smoke, you can find it in every grocery store. My favorites are Hickory smoked liquid or Mesquite smoked liquid. I do not find a big difference in between those two liquid smokes, but the Mesquite might have lighter flavor and more natural smoky flavor, then the famous Hickory. You will need for the recipe some few sheets of aluminum paper, because we will be wrapping the ribs in and baking it in the oven. So all the flavors stays nicely locked inside the ribs. You need as well big baking sheet.
APPLE SMOKED RIBS
Preparation time: 15 minutes⭐ cooking time: 2 -2.5 hours⭐ servings: 4 persons
For the ribs:
- 1 full rack of pork ribs (1kg – 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoons paprika
- 5 cloves of garlic ( minced)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbs hickory liquid smoke
- juice from 2 limes
- 2 large apples (cored and cut in slices)
For the BBQ sauce:
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp hickory liquid smoke
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 Tbs of mustard
- First clean and wash the ribs.
- Preheat oven on 350 F / 180 C.
- Place aluminium sheets (big enough to cover the ribs from bottom, top and sides) on baking sheet. Place the ribs on the aluminium sheets.
- Season the ribs with salt, pepper, smoked red paprika and rub minced garlic in the ribs.
- Squeeze the lemon in small bowl and add liquid smoke. Pour it all over the seasoned ribs.
- Place the cut and cored apples all around the ribs.
- Cover now the ribs with aluminium paper well from all sides, that no steam can escape.
- Place the baking sheet with ribs in the oven (middle rack) and bake it for 2 hours to 2,5 hours.
- After the baking time, remove the aluminium paper, remove and save the baked apples for later.
- Set your BBQ on high and place the ribs on BBQ rack for 5 minutes from each side.
- Once the ribs will get nice color from the fire, remove it from BBQ and place it on the serving plate and brush it with BBQ sauce.
- Top the pork ribs with served baked apples.
- You can serve it with baked or mashed potatoes or even rice or bread.
- Accompany those delicious apple smoked ribs with good beer 🍺🍺 or chilled white wine.