MARSHMALLOW FRANKENSTEINS – HALLOWEEN TREATS
When we watched with my daughter on YouTube some videos for Halloween treats this year, we saw these cute mini marshmallow monsters and we right away fall in love with this Halloween treat.
Not only it’s super easy to be made by kids, it is also nut free, so kids can also bring it to school for their Halloween parties or as a snack around Halloween. You might say Frankenstein is so scary for kids, but don’t worry, this a little cuties with some nice spooky smile.
We are going to use only super yummy ingredients. And it is marshmallow, white and milk chocolate, heavy cream, few drops of green and black food coloring,pop sticks, piece of styrofoam or small pumpkin to hold the pop sticks, 2 small ceramic bowls (to melt the chocolate in), plastic Ziploc and toothpick.
I get all my stuff needed for this recipe on the table, before I start. I need to have everything on hand, so I don’t need to run to check for toothpick or Ziploc, while my chocolate is hardening in the ceramic bowl. But this is just me.
So get ready first my marshmallows. I place them on baking sheet covered by parchemin paper and I stick the pop stick right in the middle of the marshmallow. Then I first melt white chocolate (only 3/4 of quantity in the recipe written) with few teaspoons of heavy cream, once it’s melted I add green food coloring, few drops at a time, you add as much as you need to get your desired color. I did 3 drops to achieve light green color.
Once you get your desired color, you dip your marshmallow in this green (white) chocolate and poke it in the Styrofoam or in pumpkin. If you are using pumpkin, help yourself with a knife to pre-poke the holes, because pumpkins are hard and you won’t be able to poke it with just paper pop stick. No let these dry for about an hour. If you need to speed it up, place it in refrigerator,m in 15-20 minutes the chocolate should harden.
Now you have to melt the milk chocolate, same ways as the white one and add 1 drop of black food coloring. Place the chocolate in Ziploc and cover with circular motion, the head of the marshmallow (Frankenstein). Now take toothpick and smear some of that milk chocolate down to create chopped hair.
Let harden the milk chocolate and in the meanwhile reheat the resting white chocolate with few spoons of heavy cream. Place the white chocolate in ziploc, cut the corner and decorate eyes. Use the rest of the milk chocolate to finish decorating the eye balls and mouth. And there you have it. Keep refrigerated until you are ready to eat it.
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes⭐working time: 40-45 minutes⭐ servings: 10 portions
- 10 marshmellow
- 1 cup white chocolate
- 1 cup milk chocolate
- green food coloring
- black food coloring
- 1/2 cup white chocolate for decorating eyes
- 2 ziploc bags
- 2 1/2 Tbsp heavy cream
- Take a pop stick and push it into the marshmallow until it is more than halfway inserted.
- Place 1 cup of white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, add 1 Tbsp heavy cream and microwave it in 30-second intervals until melted and smooth. Add green food coloring and stir until well incorporated.
- Take a marshmallow and dip it completely in the melted green chocolate.
- Tap the stick vigorously against the side of the bowl so excess coating will drip back into the bowl.
- If you have a styrofoam block, insert the stick into the block so your marshmallow pop can dry upright. Otherwise, you can use small pumpkin with pre-poked holes to hold your pops.
- Repeat until all of your marshmallows are covered with green chocolate. Refrigerate them so the coating sets completely, for about 10 minutes.
- Melt the milk chocolate with 1 Tbsp of heavy cream in the microwave.
- Pour the melted chocolate in a ziploc bag and cut a small hole. With circular motion pipe the chocolate to cover the top of the marshmallow to make hair. With a toothpick create chopped hair, by pulling the chocolate down. Set it back in the styrofoam block or on the pumpkin.
- Melt now resting 1/2 cup of white chocolate with 1/2 Tbsp of heavy cream, once melted pour it into another ziploc bag, cut a small hole in the corner and pipe Frankenstein eyes on each pop.
- Now, use the rest of the milk chocolate in the ziploc bag to finish the rest of the Frankenstein features such as eyeballs and mouth.
- When all of the coating has set, your Frankenstein pops are ready to be enjoyed! Keep refrigerated until ready to use, you can store it until 2 weeks.