BLACK FOREST CUPCAKES
written by @juliarecipes
My husband’s favorite cake is Black Forest. Why ? Because full of real chocolate, filled with delicious cherries, topped with layers of whipped cream and chocolate shaves. Oh yes, he knows what a good cake is 🙂
I can’t blame my hubby, that he loves this kind of a cake so much. All the ingredients make me drool just looking at the pictures. Who wouldn’t like it, right? This year, I haven’t had much of a time to prepare big cake for him, so I have decided to try Black forest cupcakes, instead of the whole cake and it was the best decision ever.
It was whipped in a minute and not much of a mess in the kitchen, except the chocolate 🙂 but I didn’t mind hi hi! Easy assembling and he loved the individual portions of cupcakes.
When I make chocolate cupcakes, I always use dark chocolate and good quality of cocoa powder. This assures me, that the cupcakes will have good chocolaty taste. As it comes to the cream, I go with simple whipped cream with confectioner (icing) sugar and vanilla sugar. Don’t use liquid vanilla in whipped cream, because it will be very liquid.
Cherries are always best used fresh, but this time I haven’t had much time to prepare the cherry pie filling, so I used store bought. For the decoration, I used fresh cherries, it looks more natural and it taste really great.
Make sure, to have everything ready on hand, because this batter i done in seconds. First start preparing the dry ingredients and then wet ingredients. Butter has to always be at room temperature, if not, slowly heat in microwave, always cut butter on same sized cubes and microwave on 20 seconds. Your butter shouldn’t be runny.
You will need to start first to melt the chocolate, go easy! When melting chocolate in microwave, always use power 70% and 1 minute. Stir the chocolate, if not melted, place again in the microwave and again power 70% and 1 minute. Right now your chocolate should be melted. You will set it aside, because we need the chocolate to cool a bit.
In the meanwhile you start to mix butter with brown sugar, until fluffy. Add one egg only and wait until it’s well incorporated. If you egg is too cold it will create crumbly texture, but don’t panic it’s not the end of the world, because once you will start to add in dry ingredients, the butter and the egg will get combined together. But remember always to have all ingredients in room temperature, when baking. It will assures you of easy process of baking 🙂
All the dry ingredients should be sifted, especially the cocoa powder. If you won’t sift the cocoa powder, it will create little cocoa balls in your cupcake and it won’t well incorporated. If you are using self-raised flour, add only half of the baking powder, then the recipe calls for. I always use organic all purpose flour and this flour doesn’t contain baking powder of any additive for self-raising, that is why my recipe calls for more baking powder.
Once all is sifted, add it spoon by spoon the dry ingredients in the wet batter. Have your muffin tin ready with cupcake paper in it. With a help of ice cream scoop, scoop 1 and a half of a scoop into each tin. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes if using convectional oven. If you use conventional, keep it 5 minutes longer.
Once it’s baked, take it out and let cool on baking rack. Little trick, for making the holes in the cupcakes. I let the cupcakes cool down over night, it’s easier to cup out the holes. I am using large tip from Wilton no. 1A to drill the hole. Once the holes are drilled, you will fill it with the cherry pie filling and decorate with whipped cream and shaved chocolate. Whipped cream is best to be whipped, when very cold. Add the sugar into whipped cream when it’s in a half way of mixing it. You will notice, that it suddenly starts to thickens, this is the time to add sugar. Mix until it creates peaks.
Using a plastic pastry bag, either with Wilton tip no. 1A or just simply cut out the desired size of piping (1/2 inch) on the pastry bag, decorate the cupcakes, sprinkle with shaved chocolate and top with fresh cherry. And now bite into it 🙂 and Enjoy!
BLACK FOREST CUPCAKES
Preparation time: 30-40 minutes ⭐cooking time: 20-25 minutes⭐ servings: 12 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup all purpose organic flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup sifted cocoa
Frosting % filling:
- 1 1/4 cups cherry pie filling
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- chocolate shaves, for garnish
- Prepare cupcake tin for 12 cupcakes with cupcake papers cups. Preheat the oven to 180°C/375 F.
- Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl in the microwave on power 70% for 1 minute. Remove from the microwave, stir and set aside.
- In a large bowl of electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together on high until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract then the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sifted cocoa and fold into the mixture using a on low speed of electric mixer. Fold in the melted chocolate.
- Divide the mixture equally into the cupcake tin ( 1 & 1/2 ice cream scoop) and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes until well risen and a skewer inserted into a cake in the center of the tray comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to stand in the tin on a cooling rack for 10 minutes, then carefully remove and allow to cool completely. (I let it cool overnight).
- Core each cake with the Cupcake Corer or use Wilton tip no. 1A and fill each hole with a teaspoon or two of cherry pie filling.
- Whip the whipping cream until lightly thick, and add the confectioner sugar and vanilla sugar, continue whipping until peaks are created.
- Decorate each cupcake with a whipped cream, sprinkle with chocolate shaves and top with fresh cherry.
- You can keep your cupcakes in the airtight container up to 3 days , in the refrigerator.
Pin this recipe for later!