CHICKEN TEX MEX SALAD IN TORTILLA BOWL
written by @juliarecipe
We love making Mexican food in my house. Whenever there is an opportunity, we make quesadillas, tacos or burritos. My kids are loving tortillas so much, so the other day I shaped the tortilla in a bowl and I served chicken Tex Mex salad in it.
When the tortilla is shaped in a bowl, kids are more interested into eating salad from it, then having the salad on the side. And then, it is much more fun, when you can eat your salad bowl right 🙂 !
Chicken Tex Mex salad is always made in my house from the ingredients, that are left in my refrigerator & pantry. But then I am rarely missing on anything in my pantry, because it’s always full, hahaha ! I am filling it up every week, with products what’s on special. So I can definitely have Tex Mex salad every week 🙂
TEX MEX SALAD
Tex Mex salad contains lots of vibrant and colorful vegetables. So in moody winter days it will get a little sunshine on our table. Just looking at the picture of this salad, you can hear mariachi playing 🙂 Usual Tex Mex salad contains lot’s of vegetables and doesn’t contain meat, I am adding some chicken protein in this salad
- romaine lettuce
- cherry tomatoes
- black or white beans
- red or yellow bell peppers
These are the main vegetables I use in my Tex Mex salad, but the varieties are endless. If you’d like to add carrots or cucumbers, it’s perfectly fine. Whatever you find at home.
Chicken will assure you, that you have enough of protein in your salad, along with avocado and black beans. So I can guarantee you, that you will not be hungry after this Tex Mex salad. This salad will take you through the hard working day.
If you would be opting for vegetarian version of Tex Mex, without the chicken meat, you should add more of black beans or avocado, to satisfy your hunger. Because black beans and avocado do have 3 to 4 times less of protein then 1 portion of chicken breast.
HOW TO MAKE THAT TORTILLA BOWL
Very easy. You will need 4 large tortillas and round oven safe bowl large enough to fit the tortilla in. Preheat the oven on 375 F / 180 C, place the large tortilla in the oven safe bowl and bake for 15 minutes or until it starts to turn golden brown on the edges. Carefully remove from oven and let cool of on baked sheet or wire rack.
In the meanwhile prepare Tex Mex salad, by starting to cut chicken breast on stripes and cook it on the skillet with Tex Mex seasoning. Once the chicken stripes are cooked, set aside. Wash and cut romaine lettuce and mix it with all the other vegetables. Place the salad in the tortilla bowl and top with chicken stripes, avocado and sour cream. Splash of lime will bring real Tex Mex vibe into your kitchen!
CHICKEN TEX MEX SALAD IN TORTILLA BOWL
Preparation time: 35-40 minutes ⭐baking time+ cooking time: 20-30 minutes⭐servings: 4 tortilla bowls
- 4 10-inch flour tortillas
TEX MEX Chicken:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Tex Mex or Taco seasoning
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 small chicken breasts, cut on stripes
- salt and pepper if needed
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, shredded
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn
- 15 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- salt and pepper
- avocado, for topping
- sour cream for topping
- To make tortilla bowls, preheat oven to 356 F/ 180 C. Place tortillas in oven save bowls and bake it for 10-15 minutes. Once baked, let them cool down in the oven safe bowls.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in Tex Mex seasoning and garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Add chicken breast stripes and cook, for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Combine lettuce, beans, tomatoes, corn and 2 tablespoons cilantro in a large bowl. Toss with lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place tortilla bowls on serving plates. Divide salad in four bowls and top with chicken and sprinkle with cilantro. Garnish with avocado and sour cream. Enjoy!
PIN this recipe for LATER!