MUSHROOM RISOTTO MEAL PREP
written by @juliarecipes
Are you looking for an easy and quick meal prep, then here is the restaurant-style mushroom risotto, made in minutes and you will need only one pan and few ingredients on the side, including a glass of wine 🙂
You are asking yourself, why do i call it meal prep? Because this risotto can be prepared in advance and frozen or stored up in the refrigerator, in airtight containers and taken out, right before the lunch or supper. You just add-on your favorite toppings, such as saute mushrooms, ham, grilled chicken breast or just add shaved Parmesan cheese.
This post is in collaboration with my friend and food blogger Nick from Blogtastic Food , and other amazing and very talented food bloggers, to create simple meal prep recipe. And we came up with 11 ideas of these amazing and delicious recipes. You can check all the amazing meal preps at the bottom of this post..so make sure to scroll all the way down.:-)
Mushroom risotto is our family and friends favorite, because it’s a meal I can prepare from a spot and take a glass of wine with it. At the same time, it is one of the meals, which are very simple to make and store. My kids love rice and when i comes to the creamy Parmesan rice, it is their best day ever.
Why am I calling it as meal prep recipe, because it is very simple to store, either in refrigerator or you can even freeze it. And later on, you can add the toppings, such as saute mushrooms, saute ham (that’s my kids favorite), leftover grilled chicken breast or even simple scrambled eggs, will make a descent add-on protein to your risotto. This recipe is tailored for mushroom risotto version, but as we will adding mushrooms as a topping at the end of the recipe, you can always opt for different add-on, as mentioned above.
WHAT IS RISOTTO
Risotto is an Italian rice dish made from a short-grained, starchy variety of rice called arborio rice. That is cooked in a broth and mixed with all kinds of meat, vegetables or cheeses at the end. The technique for making it is called the risotto method, which involves stirring small amounts of hot stock or broth into the rice a little at a time, allowing the liquid to be absorbed as you go.
IS RISOTTO SIDE OR A MEAL?
Risotto is considered as both, main meal or as a side and in some Italian regions, they consider risotto as an entry. I am always adding plenty of toppings; veggies or a protein, such as grilled chicken breast, shrimps, scallops or any kind of vegetables; mushrooms, green peas, carrots, anything what you like. So for me it becomes a main meal.
HOW TO MAKE A RISOTTO WITH CREAMY TEXTURE
It takes a lot’s of liquids and the right type of rice. As I mentioned before, for risotto you must have a special rice, which is called ARBORIO RICE. It is starchy variety of rice. Chicken, beef or vegetable broth will do all the creaminess. I am using a chicken broth and white wine to have this fancy risotto. For those of you, who doesn’t like wine flavor in meals, you can substitute the wine for splash of lemon juice or I have heard of verjus (mild tart grape juice),which can be used to add acidity to the risotto. The reason, why the wine is used in risotto, is that it brings little acidity to the dish. But you can just simply skip the white wine and add just extra broth.
The secret to the creaminess in risotto is of course lot’s of hot liquids, such a broth…reheat your broth before adding it to the rice. If you will be adding cold or room temperature broth to the rice, it will slow down the cooking and preventing the risotto rice from releasing its starches. Also frequent stirring helps release the starch from the rice to give risotto its creamy texture.
There is incredibly waste variety of add-ons or toppings for risotto. Most of the time, my kids screams just for cheese (Parmesan or even mozzarella) and ham. I either cut in small cubes ham and saute on a pan for few minutes until golden from all sides or I take my frozen bacon cut in stripes or cubes and saute as well, until crispy.
For me and my husband, we love mushrooms, so for us it is definitely saute mushrooms until golden brown; white or brown button mushrooms are our favorite. But you can use Portobello mushrooms, shiitake or oyster mushrooms. Simple vegetables, such as green peas, cubed carrots makes such a great version of this vegetarian dish as well, when added to the risotto. If you have meat leftovers (chicken bread, pulled pork, minced meat sauce, you simple add them on the top of your risotto or on the side.
- Hot liquids- make sure you reheat the broth, before adding it to the rice, so it doesn’t slow down the cooking and preventing the risotto rice from releasing it’s starches.
- White wine – is not a must, but it brings to risotto texture and acidic flavor. You can substitute for splash of lemon of grape juice called verjus.
- Stir frequently – frequent stirring helps release the starch from the rice to give risotto its creamy texture.
- Double the portion – you won’t regret it! Make sure you double the portion, so you can freeze the risotto for another time. This recipe should serve 6-8 portions as a main meal (served with mushrooms).
MUSHROOM RISOTTO MEAL PREP
Preparation time: 10 minutes ⭐cooking time: 30 minutes⭐ servings: 6-8 servings
- 4 cups chopped white or brown mushrooms
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 shallots (diced)
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2 cups ARBORIO rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- salt & pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add oil and saute chopped mushrooms until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper. Put aside.
- In the same skillet, over medium-high heat, melt 2 tbs of butter and saute diced shallots. Add the ARBORIO rice and stir frequently, toss the rice until it’s coated.
- Lower the heat on medium and add the wine and stir gently until wine reduces.(about 5 minutes).
- Add chicken broth, 2 cups at a time, stirring constantly and waiting until the broth is reduced and absorbed by the rice. Continue adding the chicken broth.
- Repeat the process, until all broth has been added and absorbed. At this point rice will become creamy.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and saute mushrooms and season if needed.
- Serve immediately with shaved Parmesan cheese and freshly chopped parsley or cilantro. Enjoy!
Pin this recipe for later!
If you like this risotto meal prep, then you have to check out these other 10 extra easy and delicious meal preps ideas from my other fellow bloggers:
Thai Green Chicken Curry by Nicolas from Blogtastic food
Red Lentil, Tamarind and Tomato Soup by Elizabeth from Cuisine D’eli
Vegan Meal Prep Chili by Kathy from Holistic Hormone Help
Pumpkin, Ricotta and Sage Pasta Shells by Alexandra from It’s Not Complicated Recipes
Instant Pot Ropa Vieja by Will From Hangry White Male
Easy Mexican Lasagna by Jen From Real Food Happy Home
Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers by Maggie from Meals with Maggie
Garlic Shrimp Skillet with Bulger by Laura from Healthy Laura
Make Ahead Mini Fritattas in Muffin Tins by Stephanie from 31Daily