POPPY SEED & CHOCOLATE BABKA
written by @juliarecipes
“This post may contain affiliate links. Please see disclosure page for more information.”
I am loving to work with puff pastry and I am using it very often in savory and sweet version. You can find more recipes with puff pastry here;
- THE BEST APPLE STRUDEL
- VALENTINE’S STRAWBERRY PUFF HEARTS
- PLUM GALETTE with almond filling
- Witches fingers – Halloween finger food
- PARMESAN STICKS -PUFF PASTRY
This time I have created this Poppy seed & chocolate babka and I have been serving it as Sunday afternoon treat with coffee and hot chocolate for the kids. I love Sunday baking and let me tell you, I love when it’s easy baking, because Sundays should be chilling day, where you don’t cook or bake much.
WHAT IS BABKA?
Babka is usually dense cake, made out of brioche dough or you might know it under sweet bread. It’s a sweet yeast dough filled with fudgy chocolate, cinnamon, jam, poppy seeds in layers and baked. You must have seen it already on Instagram as piece of cake/bread with hundreds of swirls of chocolate.
I am taking a little twist on this babka and I am using puff pastry and filling it with what my grandma used to fill it with poppy seeds filling with raisins and candied oranges, plus I added a bit of melted chocolate in the filling. I am using this filling Helio Masa Makowa Poppy Seed Filling Fried Fruits and Honey Poppy seed filling can be prepared at home, but you will need this special poppy seed grinder.
You can always just use Nutella as your filling or any kind of chocolate or fruity spread and it will give the right satisfaction, I can guarantee that.
HOW TO FILL AND ROLL BABKA
Usually babka is baked in loaf pan, but because we are using puff pastry, we will bake it on s simple baking sheet covered with parchment paper. How to fill the babka with poppy seed filling is easy. You roll out the puff pastry in rectangular shape and with spatula spread it all over the dough.
Roll it lengthwise into a tight roll. Now it’s the part where the long swirls will show up. The long cylinder of dough must be cut in almost half along the middle of the long roll (leave a little end uncutted, it will be easier to braid). Then, the two sides needs to be twisted like a braid. At the end you brush it off with egg wash and bake it for 35- 45 minutes. And that’s it. You enjoy sweet puff pastry slices with poppy seeds and chocolate.
POPPY SEED & CHOCOLATE BABKA
Preparation time: 15 minutes ⭐baking time: 35-45 minutes⭐ servings: 12 slices
- 1 pre-made puff pastry roll (15″ x 12″)
- 1 can poppy seed filling
- 1/2 cup melted milk or dark chocolate
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- Preheat oven to 350F / 177 C and cover baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the poppy seed mixture in a medium bowl, set aside.
- Melt milk chocolate in microwave and mix it with poppy seed mixture.
- Roll out the puff pastry on of 15″ x 12″ rectangular. If you are using already pre- rolled sheet, just unroll it and spread the poppy seed mixture, leaving a 1/2 inch border uncovered. (If your puff pastry is smaller, use less filling.)
- Tightly roll the dough into a log. Place the log on its seam. Using a sharp knife, cut the log in half lengthwise, but do not cut completely through. Then, the two sides needs to be twisted like a braid. Try to lightly twist and bring on the top the cut edge, so it creates beautiful swirls.
- At the end you brush it off with egg wash and bake it in the preheated oven for 45 -50 minutes.
- Let it cool down and cut slices 1 inch wide. Serve it at the breakfast or with a coffee as an afternoon snack.