MATCHA GREEN TEA NO CHURN ICE CREAM
written by @juliarecipes
I SCREAM, YOU SCREAM, WE ALL SCREAM FOR ICE CREAM!! I AM CALLING ALL MATCHA GREEN TEA LOVERS! WE ARE MAKING MATCHA ICE CREAM!
Yes, my dear friends, I am sure you must be so excited, at least as much as I am for this matcha green tea no churn ice cream recipe. Yes no churn – meaning no need ice cream machine. What? Yes, no ice cream machine needed and you will need only 3 ingredients to create this flavorful green tea matcha ice cream recipe.
“This post may contain affiliate links. Please see disclosure page for more information.”
First things first, this post and recipe is a part of a wonderful collaboration initiated by my good friend and food blogger Nick from BLOGTASTIC FOOD,who challenged me and other few fellow food bloggers to create their favorite no churn ice cream recipe. I love green tea & matcha, so for me there was no other question, then making this matcha green tea ice cream recipe. You can check Nick’s recipe for Baileus & salted caramel swirl no churn ice cream. To see the rest of the fabulous recipes from this collaboration, scroll down above the recipe.
So I have said it before and I will repeat it. This ice cream method doesn’t require any expensive equipment. You simply need sweetened condensed milk, whipping cream and some favorite flavors, you are gonna add to your ice cream. I have chosen matcha powder, because this is one of my favorite flavors and this green colors screams of summer.
The flavors are endless, you literally can add whatever is closest to your hand, such as:
- Shot of espresso coffee
- Shredded coconut
- Whole or cut fruit ( strawberries, banana, blueberries)
- Cookie dough & chocolate chips
- Milk, dark & white melted chocolate
- Cookie & cream crushed cookies
- Salted caramel sauce
There is many options and varieties of this no churn ice cream, you can choose your favorite flavor and add it to this simple base of no churn ice cream recipe. You just use your imagination and add it in this ice cream 🙂 I would love to know, what flavor would you prepare or will prepare, let me know below in the comments.
Another great news is that this no churn ice cream recipe, can be made in vegan version. Yay absolutely, my dear vegan friends can enjoy this no churn ice cream too. You will simply exchange the regular sweet condensed milk for coconut condensed milk and instead of whipped cream, you will use the fat from coconut milk. How to prepare vegan no churn ice cream, check my recipe for VEGAN VANILLA COCONUT ICE CREAM here.
- Whipped cream needs to be mega cold, meaning keep your whipped cream in the refrigerator until you are really ready to use it. The whipped cream will be fluffier and will whip easily when extra cold. You can also make an extra step, by refrigeration the bowl and whisk attachment for 30 minutes, before whipping the whipping cream.
- Matcha powder is not easy to mix well with cold liquids. So I suggest to sift matcha powder first in a bit of condensed milk and then add it to the whipped ice cream. If you sift the matcha directly into the cold whipped cream, the matcha powder could create lumps inside the cream and we don’t want this.
- At the end, I have created these little dark matcha powder intense swirls, it is optional, but it looks so mesmerizing right? So I strongly suggest making these, especially if you like intense flavor of matcha. How to make it? Simply reserve 2 tsp of condensed milk & 1-2 tsp of matcha powder and at the last step (once the whipped cream is in the loaf pan container, you drizzle over the top the matcha condensed milk mixture. Then take a spoon and make these mesmerizing swirls.
WHAT KIND OF MATCHA POWDER TO USE
This is a great question to ask. When it comes to making ice cream, baking or making smoothie, you don’t need to use the highest grade of matcha powder. You can buy the cooking grade matcha powder. The highest grades of matcha powders or ceremonial matcha are very expensive and are used especially for drinking matcha tea, where you are using only the powder and the water to have the best experience of matcha tea. These ceremonial mixes are the highest grade of matcha powder and the difference is in taste and color. Ceremonial matcha powders are often less bitter and have very pronounces green color. I have used this matcha powder, to make this ice cream recipe.
I would say now you are ready to start this simple recipe for no churn matcha ice cream, don’t wait any longer, because ice cream needs to be frozen for good 5 hours to have a perfect consistency to scoop it onto your favorite waffle cones 🙂
MATCHA GREEN TEA NO CHURN ICE CREAM
Preparation time: 15-30 minutes ⭐freezing time: 3-4 hours⭐ servings: 6-8 popsicles
- 2 cups of mega cold heavy whipping cream 35 %
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tsp Matcha Green Tea powder sifted
- 1-2 tsp Matcha Green Tea powder sifted for the swirl
- Place loaf pan into the freezer to chill, before starting to whip the whipping cream.
- In a medium bowl, empty 3/4 of the sweetened condensed milk and set aside. (Optional: if you will be making matcha green tea swirls, remove from the 3/4 of the sweetened condensed milk another 1-2 tsp aside to mix it with 1-2 tsp of Matcha Green Tea powder sifted for the swirl set aside).
- The rest 1/4 of sweetened condensed milk pour into small glass and sift in slowly 4 tsps of Matcha Green Tea powder. Mix it with small whisk, until the matcha powder will dissolve in the condensed milk. Add this mixture into the rest of the condensed milk and mix it together, until it’s well combined.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream into a bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Start whipping on slow speed and gradually increase the speed until stiff peaks.
- Stop the mixer and add 1/4 of the whipped cream to the matcha condensed milk. Use a spatula to fold in the whipped cream to lighten up the mixture.
- Now add the mixture of whipped cream and condensed milk to the remaining of whipped cream and use a spatula to fold the mixture together until homogeneous.
- Remove the loaf pan from the freezer. Transfer the mixture into the loaf pan. Tap on the counter to release any trapped air bubbles.
- Optional: Use your previously reserved 1-2 tsp of condensed milk and matcha powder for the swirls. Drizzle this mixture over the whipped cream and use the end of the spoon, to swirl the matcha mix all over the loaf pan.
- Place into the freezer for at least 5 hours to harden.
- Now scoop the no churn matcha ice cream into your favorite waffle cone or bowl.
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!
MORE NO CHURN ICE CREAM RECIPE IDEAS YOU WILL LOVE