Not much of a time for getting some sweet treats for Valentine’s Day? Or just loving simple and quick recipes for crunchy sweet bite of puff pastry and Nutella® hazelnut spread? Then this is exactly what you are looking for. We will be making the simplest and pretty delicious dessert in a matter of few minutes. Ready, set, go!!!
Ok, as I said simple is quick and convenient. No wonder as a busy full time working mom, I am always running last minute desserts. And if you follow me for a quiet while, I stock up on frozen puff pastry. Don’t get me wrong, homemade puff pastry is amazing and delicious, but this time frozen puff pastry from my local grocery store was on sale, so I grabbed few and yes now it’s the golden hour to use it.
As I said this recipe calls for few ingredients, usually already sitting at your pantry or freezer. Puff pastry approximately 500g (two packages of 250g in my local store), jar of Nutella (250 g) or you can open the bigger jar, spoon and licking is optional 🙂 1 large egg to get puff pastry to make it nice and golden and little of confectioner sugar for dusting.
Strawberries, as you see on the picture, are optional, but quite refreshing while alternating the bites in between Nutella® twists and strawberries. Oh, yes coffee is mandatory, not on the picture, but right after the photo shoot I dipped few pieces in my coffee 🙂
Here I am demonstrating rolled out dough, cut in squares, spreading Nutella® hazelnut spread and rolling and making the twists. So if you do not have rolled out puff pastry dough, do so and roll it on lightly floured work surface into very thin layer. Cut squares about 6″ long and wide. I make from one sheet 4 Nutella® Twists.
Spread generously (about 1/2 cup) of Nutella® Hazelnut spread on all 4 pastries squares, leaving 1/2″ border around all the edges. Roll all four pastries individually into a log and cut them in half lengthwise. Carefully twist together the two pieces to form a braid, pinching the ends together to hold the braid in place.
Repeat the filling with Nutella® hazelnut spread, rolling and braiding process with the second sheet of puff pastry, then arrange the twists on the baking sheet. In a small bowl, whisk the egg then brush it on the top of the twists.
Bake them for 20 to 25 minutes or until they’re golden brown and cooked through. Remove the twists from the oven and allow them to cool for at least 10 minutes on the baking sheet before serving. Dust with confectioner sugar and serve.
NUTELLA PUFF PASTRY TWISTS
- 1 package (500 g) frozen puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed but cold
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour, for dusting work surface
- 1 cup Nutella® hazelnut spread with cocoa
- 1 medium egg
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (ca. 177 °C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unfold one sheet of the puff pastry onto a lightly floured work surface. Cut the sheet into 4 equal squares (approximately 6″ long and wide).
- Spread 1/2 cup Nutella® hazelnut spread with cocoa on all 4 pastries, leaving a 1/2-inch border around all the edges.
- Tightly roll up the pastry into a small logs. Cut each the log in half lengthwise then carefully twist together the two pieces to form a braid, pinching the ends together to hold the braid in place.
- Repeat the filling with Nutella® hazelnut spread, rolling and braiding process with the second sheet of puff pastry, then arrange the twists on the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg then brush it on the top of the twists.
- Bake them for 20 to 25 minutes or until they’re golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove the twists from the oven and allow them to cool for at least 10 minutes on the baking sheet and dust it with confectioner sugar before serving.
Pin this recipe for later