This mini baked donuts with chocolate glaze are just fab. Fluffy, sweet and mini portions for perfect afternoon snack with fewer calories.
Why these donuts with chocolate glaze are so good ?
So when we say “donuts or doughnuts” we right away think of a greasy huge donut, which will oblige you to do a work out for a minimum of one hour in the gym. No worries, I got you, because these are baked donuts and mini size.
These donuts are less heavy, thus fewer calories. I personally love these donuts, because of the fact, that they are not fried, but baked…sort of healthier version of donuts. And plus they are a mini version of donuts, so no worries, your weight watcher app will love you!
What tools to use to cut out donuts
As I mentioned previously, these are baked donuts, but not the cakey version of baked donuts. We will be using classic yeast dough, so it will rise, and we will be cutting out the round shaped donuts. So tools are super simple, and you already have them in your kitchen.
- Large bowl, where we will mix all the ingredients and prove the dough.
- Wooden spoon or spatula, to help combine the ingredients and release the dough from the bowl.
- Large cookie cutter or Mason jar, to help cut out the shape of donut
- Rolling pin, to roll out the dough.
What dough to use for donuts
We will be using classic yeast dough for these donuts. Yeast, flour, butter, sugar, eggs….etc.
So if you feel like, baked version doesn’t satisfy your craving, you can simply fry these donuts in the vegetable oil. Or you can try bake half of the batch and fry the other half just to see the difference.
Ingredients for yeast donuts
- All-purpose flour, for fluffy donuts, don’t forget to sift the flour.
- Lukewarm milk, will help the yeast activate faster.
- Active yeast or fresh yeast, both yeast works well, with fresh yeast you will have to prove them first.
- Fine sugar, dissolves easier in the dough.
- Vanilla extract, can’t miss for the classic donuts.
- Egg yolks, makes the dough hold together and helps to rise the dough.
- Salt, brings better taste.
- Soften butter, makes these donuts irresistibly delicious!
What toppings to use on donuts
In this recipe for baked donuts, I used milk chocolate glaze and I topped the donuts with toasted coconut flakes. These donuts are not too sweet, so I wanted to add a little sweetness and chocolate was the best option.
I simply melted a chocolate chips and dipped the donuts in it. The chocolate glaze is very thin, but still enough chocolaty. If you would like to have a thicker layer of chocolate, then once your chocolate is melted, wait a few minutes, so it thickens and then dip the donuts in it. It will create a thicker layer of chocolate.
Coconut flakes are toasted. I already bought it this way in the store. But if you have coconut flakes at home, you can simply toast them in the oven at 325F/177C for 10-25 minutes, until desired crunchiness.
FAQ’s & Tips
Proving. Time is money, they say! Well, not this time. We need to take some time to let the gluten get together. To have fluffy dough, we need to let the dough prove for a certain time. Usually I let the dough rise for a full one hour, sometimes even longer in winter months.
The rule of the thumb is that our dough needs to double in size. So if it takes one hour, that’s perfect, but if you need to let it rise for an hour and half, then do it. You will not regret it.
Yeast. I am using instant yeast in this recipe, but you can also use fresh yeasts or dry yeast. If you need a help how to use fresh or dry yeast, refer here, I am explaining what is the difference in between fresh yest, dry yeast and instant yeast.
Store donuts in airtight container, in the refrigerator and consume within 5 days. You may also freeze these baked donuts with the chocolate glaze on top and coconut flakes for up to 3 months. To defrost these baked donuts, leave on the kitchen counter for 2 hours or defrost overnight in the refrigerator. Consume within 2 days.
These bake donuts are best enjoyed fresh first day of baking.
More recipes you might like
- OREO DONUTS BAKED
- PUMPKIN DONUTS
- BAKED DONUTS RECIPE
- VALENTINE’S CHOCOLATE CHIA SEED PUDDING
- HOW TO MAKE MINI LEMON TARTS
BAKED MINI-DONUTS WITH CHOCOLATE GLAZE & TOASTED COCONUT FLAKES
- 2 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 1 ½ Tablespoon active yeast or 30g of fresh yeast
- 2 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large egg yolks
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoon soften butter
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup coconut flakes toasted
- In a large bowl, combine active yeast with 1/4 cup lukewarm milk & 1/2 tsp of sugar. Mix well and let sit covered with plastic foil for 15-20 minutes, in a warm place.
- Once the yeast got active and doubled in size, add to the bowl with yeast, sifted flour, 3/4 lukewarm milk, 1 1/2 tbsp of sugar, vanilla extract, salt, egg yolks and butter. Mix until well combined. If you are using a stand mixer, use a kneed hook. Mix on low, until the dough doesn’t stick anymore. If the dough is still sticky, add a little bit more butter.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and spray inside the bowl with oil or brush with butter, return the dough inside the bowl. Cover with plastic foil and let rise in a warm place for at least 1 hour (if you have a time, let it rise up to 2 hours, donuts will be fluffier).
- On a floured surface, roll out your dough to ¼ of an inch thick. Using a cookie cutter (or jar) cut out round pieces of dough (in the diameter of your donuts mold), with a smaller cookie cutter, cut out the middle. Place the cut-out rounds into the donuts mold, cover the mold with a towel and leave it to prove again at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
- They are ready, once they almost double in their size. Bake at 375 F (190 C) for 15 – 20 minutes. Keep a close eye on them, so they don’t get too brown. Take the donuts mold out of the oven & let it cool down for 10 minutes. Once it's cooled down, remove donuts and place them on a cooling rack.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave (70% power 1 minute…repeat until chocolate is melted, stir in between each session) and dip donuts in the melted chocolate, place the donuts on the cooling rack and decorate them with toasted coconut flakes. Wait until the chocolate sets and enjoy it!
Pin it for later!