These black forest cupcakes are full of chocolate flavours, heavenly light whipped cream and cherry pie filling surprise inside. Perfect dessert for any occasion.
My husband’s favourite cake is Black Forest. Why ? Because full of real chocolate, filled with delicious cherry pie filling, topped with heavenly soft whipped cream and chocolate pieces/shaves on top. Oh yes, he knows what a good cake is
I can’t blame my hubby, that he loves this kind of cake so much. All the ingredients make me drool just looking at the pictures. Who wouldn’t like it, right? This year, I haven’t had much of a time to prepare big cake for him, so I have decided to try Black forest cupcakes, instead of the whole cake and it was the best decision ever.
It was done in no time and not much of a mess in the kitchen. Except the chocolate shaves!! Easy assembling, and we so loved the individual portions of cupcakes. So if you have people over, these are very easy to serve.
What ingredients are needed for Black Forest cupcakes
Black Forest cupcakes
- all-purpose flour
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- baking powder
- baking soda
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- milk or buttermilk
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
Frosting & filling:
- cherry pie filling
- heavy cream 35%
- powdered sugar
- small tablet of milk chocolate
- fresh cherries
Tips how to make the best chocolate cupcakes
When I make chocolate cupcakes, I always use semi-sweet chocolate chips and good quality of cocoa powder for the batter. This assures me, that the cupcakes will have rich chocolate taste. For the filling, I am using store bought cherry pie filling. Here in Canada, I always choose brand A.D. Smith. It’s a trusted brand, which I like.
When it comes to the whipped cream topping, use heavy whipping cream, which has minimum 35% content of fat. Confectioner/icing/powder sugar is working better than regular white granulated sugar. If you would like to add more flavour to your whipped cream frosting and stay on the safe side, add a drop of vanilla paste. Do not use vanilla extract in liquid, this might dilute the whipped cream.
To decorate the Black forest cupcakes, fresh cherries looks the best. If you happen to make the cupcakes out of the cherry season, you can use maraschino cherries.
How to make Black Forest cupcakes with whipped frosting
Always start by preparing/ measuring your ingredients. Make sure the eggs are at room temperature. Prepare a muffin tin for 12 cupcakes and line them with liners. Preheat the oven to 180 °C/375 F. Combine all dry ingredients (Flour, sugar, salt, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda), in one large bowl, give it a quick stir and set aside.
In another large bowl, whisk the eggs with sugar for 2 minutes, or until white and double in volume. Add vanilla extract, slowly add milk, melted butter and melted chocolate chips. Pour in dry ingredients at once and fold it into the wet batter with a wooden spatula. Pour exactly 1 & 1/2 ice cream scoop (1 ice cream scoop has 60ml or 1/4 cup) of the batter into each liner.
Bake at 180 °C/375 F for 24 minutes, or until a skewer/toothpick, inserted, comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool for 10 minutes, in the tin. Then carefully remove and allow cooling completely. Core each cake with the cupcake corer or use Wilton tip no. 1A and fill each hole with a teaspoon or two of cherry pie filling.
How to make holes in cupcakes
Little trick, for making the holes in the cupcakes. I let the cupcakes cool down overnight, it’s easier to cup out the holes. I am using large tip from Wilton no. 1A to drill the hole.
Whipped cream frosting
Pour the heavy whipping cream and sugar into a cold bowl and whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form. With electric mixer, it will take approximately 1 minutes.
Using a pastry bag, cut out enough to fit in Wilton tip no. 1A and with circular motion decorate the cupcakes. You can also omit the Wilton tip and pipe directly with the cut-out piping bag. I usually cut out 1/2 inch or 1 cm. Sprinkle with shaved chocolate and top with fresh cherry.
Storing of cupcakes with whipped cream
Best is to eat all cupcakes in one seating. But you can always store leftovers in the airtight container, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The whipped cream might become slightly sluggish and lightly runny the second day, but the taste is still amazing and delicious.
I do not recommend freezing cupcakes with the whipped cream frosting. However, you could prepare the cupcakes and freeze them prior to decorating them. In this case, they would stay in the freezer for up to 3 months, but make sure you individually wrap them in plastic food wrap and place them in an airtight container.
“THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE DISCLOSURE PAGE FOR MORE INFORMATION.”
Note: I used classic white liners for baking the cupcakes and then for the photoshoot I popped the cupcakes in nicer golden liners. See link above to Amazon shop.
- CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES FOR VALENTINES DAY
- OREO CHEESECAKE CUPCAKES
- HALLOWEN VANILLA CUPCAKES
- MINI BROWNIE CUPCAKES
- FRENCH MACARONS RECIPE
BLACK FOREST CUPCAKES
- 12 muffin tin
- 1 cup (120 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (40 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup (220 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) butter melted
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) of milk or buttermilk
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips melted
Frosting & filling:
- 1 1/4 cups (340 g) cherry pie filling
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) heavy cream
- 1/4 cup (55 g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 small tablet (50 g) chocolate for garnish
- 12 fresh cherries
- Prepare muffin tin for 12 cupcakes and line with liners. Preheat the oven to 180 °C/375 F.
- Combine all dry ingredients (Flour, sugar, salt, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda),in one large bowl, give it a quick stir and set aside.
- In another large bowl whisk the eggs with sugar for 2 minutes or until white and double in volume. Add vanilla extract, slowly add milk, melted butter and melted chocolate chips.
- Pour in dry ingredients at once and fold it into the wet batter with a wooden spatula. Pour exactly 1 & 1/2 ice cream scoop (1 ice cream scoop has 60ml or 1/4 cup) of the batter into each liner.
- Bake at 180 °C/375 F for 24 minutes, or until a skewer/toothpick, inserted, comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool for 10 minutes, in the tin. Then carefully remove and allow cooling completely. Core each cake with the cupcake corer or use Wilton tip no. 1A and fill each hole with a teaspoon or two of cherry pie filling.
Whipped cream frosting
- Pour heavy whipping cream and sugar into a cold bowl and whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form. With electric mixer, it will take approximately 1 minutes.
- Decorate each cupcake with a whipped cream, sprinkle with chocolate shaves and top with fresh cherry. You can keep your cupcakes in the airtight container up to 3 days, in the refrigerator.
Pin this recipe for later!
Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.”
Wow! These cupcakes look so gorgeous!
Thanks for sharing wonderful tips in this post.
Brilliant idea to make it into cupcakes!!
Thank you Nick, it is also much faster then making a cake 🙂
Thank you Priyo, these cupcakes are so chocolaty! 🙂
Chocolate and cherry is my FAVORITE combo, and I love the idea of using them in cupcakes! That real cherry on top is just perfection.
Thank you Heather 🙂 When cherries are in season, real cherry must go on the top !
Perfect presentation and yummy cupcake bites for a Kids party. Chocolate is always kids favorite flavor too.
What a showstopper for parties! Adding whipped cream is such a game changer – it makes everything extra moist and delicious!
Thank you Jeannette, yes that whipped cream makes all the difference:)
I love blackforest cakes and its amazing that I saw your recipe cause now I can make cupcake versions of black forests. Thank you for giving clear instructions, its easier for us newbies in baking.
My pleasure Maria, my hubby likes the individual cupcakes even more than the cake itself 🙂
Oh YUM! Such a great idea and I love the cherry filling.
Thank you Katherine 🙂