Christmas sangria is a refreshing drink with lots of bubbles and fruity flavors. It’s a perfect bubbly drink to celebrate the Christmas season.
I have created this recipe, while sitting next to the Christmas tree and listening to Christmas song from Michael Bubble. By the way, I love Michael Bubble’s songs, he is such a great singer. All his Christmas song are older songs and are so beautiful. Definitely check his Christmas album.
Why this sangria is perfect for Christmas
This Sangria makes the perfect drink for Christmas. Perfumed with Christmas spices like anise and cinnamon, it brings the holiday spirit and at the same time it’s refreshing and bubbly. You will love this light and fruity drink with sparkling wine, fruit juices and vodka. It is not too strong, so you can have more than one glass. Best when served in wine or champagne glasses for more festive look.
Ingredients used in Christmas sangria
Orange, is wonderful for its sweet fruity and refreshing taste. Orange is the staple fruit on our table during Christmas. In this recipe, orange will be used as an enhancement for the flavor and aroma, as well as a decoration.
Apples, are a fantastic addition to Sangria drink, because they keep their shape and give light refreshing aroma. For green apple, I used Granny Smith and for red apple, I used McIntosh.
Lemon, bring little zing to the drink, but small size will be enough. You can also substitute for lime.
Anise, cloves and cinnamon stick, are the Christmas unforgettable aromas that can’t miss. For some, these aromas might be too strong. I recommend removing these spices right after the 6-hour marination. Or don’t use them at all, if you don’t like them.
Orange juice works best for me, it also brings nicer color. Recipe also offers to use apple juice. I prefer using orange juice over apple juice, because it’s less sweet. But both juices work very well.
Sparkling white wine & vodka, are must in sangria! I love sangria sparkly, this is why I recommend sparkling wine. But you can use any dry white wine, best to choose from sauvignon or chardonnay. Make sure the white wine is not sweet. Bubbles will be added with Ginger Ale or Soda. Vodka goes really well with white wine, but you can also use whiskey or bourbon.
Ginger Ale or soda, think of adding more bubbles. Choose your preference, sweet bubbly or non-sweet. I prefer the light sweetness of Ginger Ale, so I always use it. My husband prefers soda, so we usually add these two directly to our glasses. Let me know in a comment, what do you prefer: Ginger Ale or Soda in this Sangria drink.
Tools needed for Sangria
How to make this Holiday Sangria
- In a large jar, combine orange, green apple, red apple, lemon, anise, cloves and stick of cinnamon. Pour over vodka, orange (or apple) juice. Stir with a wooden spoon, cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 6 hours, best for 24 hours.
- When ready to serve, add the sparkling wine, ginger ale and ice.
- Serve in champagne glasses and garnish with carambola fruit star.
FAQ & Storage
For the best results and best aroma for Christmas, Sangria
Don’t skip the marination of fruits and spices in the juices for a minimum of 6 hours. If you can let the sangria marinate for 24 hours, the flavors will be more intense, and you will have the best sangria.
Might be too strong for some. In this sangria I use anise, cloves and cinnamon stick. You can choose not to use some or none of these spices. It is totally up to your taste buds, but it brings the Christmas aromas in this sangria. Preferably remove the spices after 6 hours of marinating, it should be enough to get the best balance of these Christmas spices.
Is very important, 6 hours minimum, if you can let it marinate in refrigerator for 24 hours, then do it. The Sangria will have the best aroma and taste.
What wines to use in Sangria
Best is to use dry white sparkling wine. But non-sparkling dry wine as sauvignon blanc or chardonnay will work as well. As long and you use dry white wine. Remember, we don’t want to have this sangria overly sweet, it used already lots of sweet fruits and juices.
How to store Sangria
If you are using a pitcher, remove the fruits and discard them. Cover the top of the pitcher with plastic food wrap and refrigerate. Consume within 4 days. When you are ready to reuse the sangria, cut fresh fruit and place it inside the pitcher with the sangria.
Can I freeze Sangria?
Yes, you can freeze sangria. First remove and discard all the fruit, strain and pour the sangria in a freezer-safe, airtight container. I use Ziploc and it works just fine. Write down the date when you placed it in the freezer. Frozen sangria can be stored in freezer for 3 months. How to defrost Sangria? Leave the sangria to thaw at room temperature for two hours. Pour the sangria in a pitcher and cut fresh fruit and add it to the pitcher, serve.
Serve this Christmas Sangria as a refreshing drink to accompany your Christmas menu.
- CHOCOLATE COFFEE DRINK
- TURKEY ROLL WITH CRANBERRY STUFFING
- TANGY CRANBERRY SAUCE WITH PORT WINE
- POPULAR PALOMA COCKTAIL RECIPE
- NEW YEAR’S EVEN COCKTAIL IDEAS
- 1 medium orange thinly sliced
- 1 medium green apple cored and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red apple cored and thinly sliced
- 1 small lemon thinly sliced
- 1 small anise star
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 cups (500 ml) apple or orange juice
- 1 cup (250 ml) vodka
- 3 cups (750 ml) or 1 bottle of sparkling white wine
- 1 cup (250 ml) ginger ale or soda
- 4 cups (1 litre) ice cubes
- 1 piece carambola fruit thinly sliced for garnish
- In a large jar, combine orange, green apple, red apple, lemon, anise, cloves and stick of cinnamon. Pour over vodka, orange (or apple) juice. Stir with a wooden spoon, cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 6 hours, best for 24 hours.1 medium orange, 1 medium green apple, 1 medium red apple, 1 small lemon, 1 small anise star, 2 whole cloves, 1 stick cinnamon, 2 cups (500 ml) apple or orange juice, 1 cup (250 ml) vodka
- When ready to serve, add the sparkling wine, ginger ale and ice.3 cups (750 ml) or 1 bottle of sparkling white wine, 4 cups (1 litre) ice cubes, 1 cup (250 ml) ginger ale or soda
- Serve in champagne glasses and garnish with carambola fruit star.1 piece carambola fruit