Puff pastry apple galette is the simplest galette you will ever make. Easy dessert for beginner and young bakers. Store bought puff pastry will save you all the hassle.
Fall baking is for apple galette
Fall season is slowly installing its colors here in Montreal and the only thing I can think of is my Apple galette accompanied by my favorite warm drink: pumpkin spice latte. Classics of the falls are finally here. When you have the temperatures drops, and the thermometer in the morning shows 5 C, you know it’s time to start baking apple treats. I love fall season, wearing cozy warm sweaters, cuddle under a warm blanket and munching on this apple galette.
Country style puff pastry apple galette
This apple galette is made from store purchased puff pastry, and it’s very easy to make. The only work you will have to do is peel and core the apples. It also has sweet almond filling to add some texture. At the end I love to drizzle the galette with caramel sauce, this will bring the galette to another level.
Apple galette is far the most favorite in my house, and I am using the simple recipe for all my galettes.
What ingredients are used for apple galette
- Puff pastry
- Ground almonds
- All-purpose flour
- Apples (Pink Lady are my favorite)
- Unsalted butter
- Apricot preserve
- Sliced almonds
Kitchen tools needed for apple galette
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Apple corer
- Pairing knife
- Medium kitchen bowl
- Rolling pin
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Medium saucepan
- Silicon spatula
Puff pastry apple galette success
The key for successful Apple galette is the puff pastry used in this recipe & apples. We want to have the galette edges to be flaky and buttery. I usually buy puff pastry, because it saves me time and it’s an excellent choice for beginner bakers.
Also, apples plays a great role in delicious, a successful apple galette. This is why you should read, what kind of apples are best to use with puff pastry.
What apples to use for cooking and baking
During fall, there are many varieties of apples to choose for cooking and baking. If you decided to go apple picking, check before what apples are in season. Every few weeks, a different sort of apples is available to pick.
So you better think in advance, what apples to pick for our Apple galette and I will tell you which one is the best to use. I used for my recipe Pink Lady apples. Usually their harvest in during the month of October, but because here in Montreal we had a beautiful hot summer, the harvest was early in September.
Guide on cooking and baking with apples
Here you can find the most common apples on the market and how to use them in cooking or baking
- Granny Smith is green flesh with juicy, sweet white flesh. They are perfect for baking, they keep well their structure and balance perfect sweet-tart flavor. Perfect in Apple tarts.
- McIntosh are juicy, sweet, pinkish-white flesh, red skin and are perfect for use in applesauce.
- Pink Lady is a sweet pinkish/greenish apple with sweet white flesh. Another great variety to use for baking, holds its shape when baked and adds a great tartness.
- Pacific Rose apple has white flesh, nice crisp, and its flavor is sweet but slightly tart. Can be used for apple pies, but better used fresh in salads or apple sauces.
- Paula Red apples are suitable for both, eating fresh and cooking, although they become extremely soft when cooked, which suits them better for applesauce.
- Red Delicious apples are best used in fresh preparations like for salads or eating as is. Their flesh does not hold up well when cooked or baked.
- Golden delicious are sweet apples, with a rich, mellow flavor. It is one of the best all-around cooking apples, as it maintains its shape after baking. So great for any kind of baking. Pies, crumbles, pies or cakes.
Do not be afraid, this is rustic or country style Apple galette recipe, so we won’t be paying much of attention to the looks of this galette, so any shape you desire to have, round, oval, square, you name it, and it will be delicious. Trust me!
- SIMPLE APPLE PIE
- PUFF PASTRY PEACH GALETTE
- APPLE STREUSEL MUFFINS RECIPE
- PLUM GALETTE WITH ALMOND FILLING
- THE BEST APPLE STRUDEL
APPLE GALETTE WITH SALTY CARAMEL SAUCE
- 500 g (1pkg ) of puff pastry
- 1 small egg beaten for egg wash
- ¼ cup sugar + some sugar for sprinkle
- 3 tablespoons ground almonds
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 large apples core and cut in thin slices
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter cut in small slices
- ½ cup apricot preserve strained
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream (35%)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch flaky sea salt
- Thaw puff pastry according to the puff pastry manufacture box. Preheat the oven to 177C / 355 F. On a clean, lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry into a 16-by-18-inch oval shape, 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick. Transfer the dough to a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. (if you are using pre-rolled puff pastry, place the dough on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper)500 g (1pkg ) of puff pastry
- Wash, core and cut apples on thin slices. In a small bowl, mix with spatula, fine sugar with ground almonds and flour. Spread this mixture evenly over the dough to within 2 inches of the edge. Arrange the apple slices on top and place pieces of butter slice on top. Fold the edge of the dough up over the apples to create a 2-inch border. Sprinkle sliced almonds over the apples, then brush the edges of the galette with egg wash and sprinkle with the 1 teaspoon of sugar.¼ cup sugar, 3 tablespoons ground almonds, 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 4 large apples, 1/2 cup unsalted butter, 1 small egg
- Bake the galette in a preheated oven for 25-35 minutes. Take the galette out of the oven and brush the edges and middle of the galette evenly the apricot preserve. If the apricot preserve is too thick, add 1 tablespoon of warm water and mix it until smooth consistency. Let the galette cool to room temperature before serving.½ cup apricot preserve
- For salty caramel sauce. In a medium sauce pan, melt butter, add brown sugar and cream. Bring to a light boil and then turn down to a simmer for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla with salt. Let the caramel sauce to come to room temperature to thicken. Use it to drizzle the apple galette. Slice the galette as pizza and serve.3 tablespoons unsalted butter, 3/4 cup brown sugar, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 pinch flaky sea salt, 4 tablespoons heavy cream (35%)