Finally I got myself into writing about this delicious traditional Czech meal: Roasted beef with creamy sauce and famous Czech dumplings; which, of course, has to be accompanied by one of the excellent Czech beers, such as Pilsner Urquell or Budweiser (in Czech Plzen and Budvar). Why you have to accompany “most”of the Czech meals with beer? Let me get into this just for a second. Everybody is telling me, that Czech cuisine is very tasty, but at the same time fatty and calories rich cuisine. How do you digest all the rich sauces, fat meat and all the delicacy eating every day. Well first of all, Czechs don’t eat every day roasted tenderloin with creamy sauce and secondly they will always accompany these good meals with one velky pivo 🍺 (meaning big 0,5l beer). And yes, that one beer helps out to digestive system to deal with rich creamy sauces or fatty meals.
I could talk about other Czech delicatessies here, like dumplings-porc-sourcraut or porc saussages and smoked meat, I could go on and on all day, because there is so many!! But I will get back to another Czech specialties some other time!
Well back to the roasted beef. Best meat to choose would be tenderloin or sirloin. My mom used to lard the meat with bacon. She used to buy the best bacon, called English bacon; it had this delicious smoked flavor and was cut fairly thick. Yum, we were usually stealing it from the fridge, before mom had a chance to lard the meet ☺ So yes, you can lard your meet if you wish to, with the bacon or lard. Larding is done this way: you stick your knife into the meet to make a hole and then with help of a knife or wooden stick, you will push the bacon inside the meat.
The traditional way of preparing this meal is to braise the meat altogether with the vegetables in the iron cast pot and cook it on the stove top. Iron cast pot needs to be fairly large. I would recommend at least 6-7quart (6-7 litres). If you do have the iron cast pot, prepare everything on the stove top and let simmer for about an hour, hour and half, depending how the meat will be big…if not you can use my technique with half of the vegetables cooking in large saucepan with lid on the stove top and the other half of vegetables with the meat in the glass-oven safe dish in the oven.
I have been cooking it for quite long separately ( and i think it tastes better) Why it has a better taste? It’s because I find, that baked vegetables with the meat gives better taste to the sauce. And that’s the whole secret of good tasty “svickova” !
Enough of talking and let’s do the recipe:
Serving: 4-6 people, Preparing & cooking time: 2hrs
- 6 tablespoons of butter
- 6 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 700g/1,5 lb beef tenderloin
- 2 cups of water for meat+ 2cups for vegetables
- salt and white pepper
- 2 onions chopped
- 4 large carrots
- 1 medium celery
- 4 large parsnip
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 6 balls of Allspice (Jamaica pepper)
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 20ml/1,5 tsp of vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of cranberry sauce
- 1 tablespoon of mustard dijon
- 1 tablespoon of honey mustard
- 1 small lemons for juice
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 cup of 35% cream
- whipped cream, slices of lemon and cranberry sauce for decoration
- Clean and cut in cubes all the vegetables.
- In a large saucepan reheat oil and season your meat with salt and pepper and sear it on all sides. (optional).
- In a large glass-oven safe dish place half of the vegetables, 3 bay leaf, 3 balls of allspice and the meat.
- Add 2cups of water and 3 tablespoons of butter on the top of the meat.
- Cover with lid and roast the meat with vegetables in the oven for 2 hours on 160C/320F. Baste the meat every 30 min., so it stays juicy.
- Meanwhile you can start preparing the starter for the vegetable sauce.
- In a large saucepan reheat oil and butter. Saute chopped onion and add the rest of the vegetables, salt and pepper. Add bay leaf, allspice, dried thyme, both mustards, cranberry sauce and sugar (let sugar caramelize a bit).
- Let simmer for 20-30 min. or until all vegetables are soft.
- Remove bay leaf and allspice and wait until meat is done. (in the meanwhile you can prepare dumplings…see below the recipe).
- Once the meat is done, place all the baked vegetables and all juices from roasted meat in saucepan altogether with the stove top cooked vegetables.
- Blend the vegetables with hand blender and add lemon juice from 1 lemon, vinegar and more sugar if needed.
- Once well blended, add sour cream and cream 35%.
- Sauce has to be thick as a creamy soup or potage. You can add milk to dilute or instant thickener to thicken the sauce.
- Cut the meat 0,5″ thick and serve on vegetable sauce, garnished with slice of lemon and topped with whipped cream and cranberry sauce. Accompany with dumplings and glass of 🍺 or two 🍻.
In the meanwhile…..Once the vegetable sauce is done, we can start preparing dumplings. Or you could do them while waiting for meat to be done. There is many sorts of dumpling you can make. You can make plain dumplings, potato dumplings and for this recipe I am using Carlsbad dumplings. It is sort of an elite in dumplings 🙂 Carlsbad dumplings are full of softness and fluffiness with a little hint of green parsley. It gives a bit more color on the plate and flavor as well.
- 2 eggs
- 40g plain flour
- 175ml/ 3/4 cup of milk
- 2 tsp of parsley
- 250g/ 6 large toast
- In medium bowl, cut the toasts in cubes and pour over melted butter.Add milk, salt, 2 egg yolks and parsley. Combine will with spatula.
- Mix the egg whites until soft peaks forms and add to the mixture.
- Place plastic food wrap (30x30cm, 11″x11″) on the working surface and place 3 full Tbsps of the mixture approx. 5 cm from the edge of the food wrap, leaving 5 cm on the sides.
- Roll the mixture inside the plastic food wrap and secure the ends by holding and twisting the sides of the food wrap.
- Steam for 20 minute. Let cool and cut the edges with scissors. Unroll the dumpling and either cut in on slices or cut the edges and then cut diagonally in the middle.
Hope you have been enjoying cooking with me, I know it is a long preparation, but believe it is worth all the hard work. So now please enjoy this delicious meal. You deserve to sit down after long cooking day and enjoy the first bite of this delicious meal. Bon Appetit!
If you have any questions concerning this recipe, please let me know.
Yours Julia Recipes😀