This easy beef kofta kebabs with tzatziki sauce recipe has been one of our favorite summer BBQ recipes so far. These kofta kebabs are packed with flavor, fresh Mediterranean herbs and spices and can be accompanied by roasted potatoes, pita or fresh cucumber salad.
What is kofta or kefta kebabs
Kofta kebabs are Mediterranean meatballs made out of ground meat and grilled on skewers or baked in the oven. You can find many variations from different countries. In kofta recipe you can use lamb, beef, veal or mixture of all three ground meats. In this recipe I was inspired by Greek version of kofta kebabs with Mediterranean herbs and tzatziki sauce.
How to cook these EASY BEEF KOFTA KEBABS WITH TZATZIKI
In this recipe I will show you three different options on how to cook kefta kebabs. The main (and my favorite) method is grilling or BBQ method, but it’s also possible to cook the kefta kebabs in the oven or sear in the pan.
- Grilling or BBQ method is my favorite. It gives the kofta kebabs more flavor and I found it much tastier, when made on BBQ. Place kofta kebabs on the preheated gas grill on medium-high heat. And grill them for 4 minutes on one side, turn them over and grill for another 4 minutes.
- Oven method is the easiest one, because we will place the kofta kebabs on a baking sheet (lined with parchment paper), drizzle them with olive oil. And bake it in preheated oven on 400 F / 200 C for 45 minutes. Turn the kofta kebabs in a half time. It takes little longer then the BBQ method, but not much of an effort here.
- Pan method requires extra olive oil and more effort, because we will have to turn each kofta kebab individually . But they come out really yummy. So in winter times, when BBQ isn’t available, pan method could be used.
Should I used wooden or stainless steel skewers
Great question. Both are pretty simple to use, the only thing with wooden skewers is, that you have to soak them in cold water for at least 30 minutes. With stainless steels skewers it’s ready to use right away.
Step-by step how to prepare kofta kebabs
- Ground beef meat
- fresh herbs (oregano, parsley, thyme)
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- First clean and chop green onion, garlic and mixed fresh herbs. Mix it together with ground meat, eggs, breadcrumbs, salt & pepper. Best way is to use your hands. Work it well with your hands, so all the herbs gets through the meat.
- Start to mold small oval shaped koftas. Koftas should be long about 4-5 inches and large about 1 1/2 – 2 inches. Poke the skewers inside the kofta kebabs and place them on a plate or baking sheet lined witch parchment paper.
- Preheat the grill/BBQ on medium- high heat 400/450F or 200/230 C and grill 4 minutes from one side and another 4 minutes from the other side. Always make sure the internal temperature of ground meet is to be 160 °F (71.1 °C) to be considered as safe. Some BBQ might heat differently than others. Always check the temperature of the ground meat.
Kofta kebab dipping Tzatziki sauce
- English cucumber
- Greek yogurt
- minced garlic
- olive oil
- fresh dill
- salt & pepper
- Peel the cucumber, remove the seeds and grate the cucumber. Squeeze out the excess cucumber water and place it in a bowl.
- Stir together grated cucumber with Greek yogurt, minced garlic, olive oil, chopped dill, lemon juice and finish it with seasoning: salt and pepper.
What’s best match side dish for kofta kebab?
More BBQ recipes
“This post contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy”
EASY BEEF KOFTA KEBAB WITH TZATZIKI SAUCE
BBQ Kofta kebabs
- 4 small green onions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound (450 g) ground lean beef
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tsps fresh thyme chopped
- 1 tsp fresh oregano chopped
- 3-6 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Tzatziki dipping sauce
- 1 medium english cucumber peeled & removed seeds
- 1 pound (450 g) Greek yogurt
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped dill
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
BBQ kofta kebab
- Soak 10 wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes, if you are going to use them. If you are using stainless steal skewers you can proceed to step 2.
- In a large bowl, place the ground beef meat. Add chopped onion, garlic, eggs, fresh herbs (parsley, thyme & oregano), paprika, salt, pepper and breadcrumbs.
- Mix this all together with your hands and start to mold small oval shaped koftas. Koftas should be long about 4-5 inches and large about 1 1/2 – 2 inches. Poke the skewers inside the kofta kebabs and place them on a plate or baking sheet lined witch parchment paper.
- Preheat the grill/BBQ on medium- high heat 400/450F or 200/230 C and grill 5 minutes from one side and another 5 minutes from the other side. Always make sure the internal temperature of ground meet is to be 160 °F (71.1 °C) to be considered as safe. Some BBQ might heat differently than others. Always check the temperature of the ground meat. Serve immediately with your favorite side dish.
Tzatziki dipping sauce
- Peel the cucumber and remove the seeds with a spoon. Grate the cucumber and squeeze out all the excess cucumber water and place it in a bowl. Stir together grated cucumber with Greek yogurt, minced garlic, olive oil, chopped dill, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.”