Who follows me on Instagram @juliarecipes , you must have notice, that I am trying to keep this week a healthy week. And I was thinking, that I might inspire you, to do as well, with a few tips and recipes. We all have had a lot of celebrations going on lately ( Christmas, New Year), and I am sure you must have felt it on your pants, as I did 😜.So for that occasion, I wanted to show you how to make simple homemade granola bars.
Have you ever wonder how much calories and sugar and processed ingredients are in store bought granola bar? Don’t even ask! You would be surprised how much processed sugar, as molasses and glucose syrup they add in your cereal bar?
Sometimes, you are even better of taking a cookie as a snack, then some of the granola bars. This brings me to to share this super duper easy and healthy recipe for homemade granola bars. You can make these anytime, from the ingredients, what you probably already have at home.Just a few ingredients (try to go with organic ingredients, to assure you of the healthiest option of granola bars) are oats, puffed rice, nuts ( lot of nuts 😉) and honey. There is endless varieties. You can add dried fruit like cranberries, blueberries, raspberries or apricots. You may go with chocolate chips to make your kids happy, even marshmallow pieces would be a great fun!
As far as it goes with nuts, I am using cashews nuts , pistachios, walnuts and almonds. That is what I had on hand at the time creating these cereal bars. But it is always your choice, what you want to have in your granola bars.Dried coconut flakes are great option as well and for the those who likes chocolate, you can ad any kind of chocolate. Preferably dark chocolate chips adding into the mixture or you can drizzle melted chocolate over the cereal bars.This recipe makes up to 24 regular bars. The cost might vary, depending what you will put in your granola bar, but this recipes, where we have cashew, pistachios, chocolate and other nuts would be probably of $0.48 per bar.
If you stick simply to almonds, puffed rice, peanuts, then it would be much less. At the end it will definitely cost you less, then store bought granola bars, that is for sure. Time preparation is no more then 45 minutes, including 30 minutes of baking. I am sure, you will and your family enjoy making your own homemade granola bars. It is a perfect afternoon activity!
HOMEMADE GRANOLA BARS
- 3 cups (350 g) raw unsalted nuts (cashews, walnuts, almonds, pistachios, chocolate chips)
- 2 cups (60 g) puffed rice
- 1 cup of oats
- 3 tablespoons (42 g) coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped and melted
- Preheat your oven to 300°F / 150 C. Line with parchment paper 9 x 13-inch baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, place the raw nuts, chopped chocolate, puffed rice, and salt, and mix to combine. Break up any large pieces of nuts or chocolate.
- Add the coconut oil and the honey, and mix to combine well.
- The mixture will be very thick and sticky.
- Transfer the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, and spread it into an even layer. Cover with another parchment paper, and press firmly. To make sure that you even even surface, use another baking sheet to press onto the parchment paper.
- Remove the top baking sheet and parchment paper, and place the pan in the center of the preheated oven.
- Bake until the mixture is lightly browned and bubbling, about 20 minutes
- . Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the bars, holding it, on parchment paper on flat surface and with large knife, or with dough scraper, slice the bars in your desired size.
- Place the bars in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes, or in the freezer for about 5 minutes, until completely chilled.
- Remove the bars from the refrigerator or freezer, and separate them.
- Drizzle with the optional melted dark chocolate and allow to set. Serve.
- Store the bars in the refrigerator or freezer.
The versions of granola bars are endless, once you make them with coconut, another time with apricots. You dip them in dark chocolate or white yogurt. You might cut them in small pieces to get nice granola clusters. It is all about your imagination and what you like or prefer as ingredients. I am definitely recommending to try these at least once, you would be surprised, how good fresh homemade granola bars are amazingly good!😃
Leave a Reply