Yes it’s the famous Levain bakery chocolate cookies recipe, that everyone goes crazy over. The load of chocolate in chewy gooey giant cookie is over and beyond I have ever tasted.
Do you see that great amount of chocolate melted inside the cookie? Yeah, that’s what it is all about…choco choco choco trip, trapped in warm cookie dough. Heaven on earth, delicious cookie, I don’t know how to call it, it’s a perfection…. I guess if a scone and cookie would have a baby, this would be it. This is all you will ever dream of! Give a try to this recipe.
I am going to have to warn you, before we will start to bake this unique sort of cookies. Once all these babies and you will have 12 of them, will get out of the oven, please.. but please, ask someone from the household to hold you back for at least 5 minutes. Because there is serious risk, that you won’t be able to wait for these Levain bakery chocolate cookies to cool down and “you will”, literally, “you will” grab one, break it in half and stuff your face with the “hot” (really hot-burning) chocolate chips melted inside the cookie. Yeah, that’s what happened to me…my tongue still hurts! But it was all worth !
LEVAIN BAKERY CHOCOLATE COOKIES DOUGH 101 – TIPS
“The cookie dough for Levain bakery chocolate cookies“ prep is little different, then the usual cookie dough. There will be two different steps and the ingredients will be added into the mixing bowl little different way, then usual chocolate chip cookie recipe.
First thing to remember is “the butter” needs to be cold, not room temperature as in traditional recipes.
“Sugar” will be used brown and regular (white refined granulated sugar). But you can choose to use only brown sugar for chewier cookie. Brown sugar adds more moisture because of molasses, the cookies dough firms up faster and thus the chewier texture.
“Chocolate chips” use large chocolate chips or chocolate chunks. This will create the large spots of chocolate all over the dough. If you can use good quality chocolate, such as Ghirardelli or Baker’s.
“Eggs “will be added at the end of the recipe. Right after the last step, when adding the flour. Please do not rush and take your time to read the instructions.
HOW TO MAKE Levain bakery chocolateCOOKIE DOUGH BATTER
Get all the ingredients ready and start with combining in medium bowl flour, soda bicarbonate, baking powder and salt. In another medium bowl of standing mixer, start mixing on low speed butter, cut in pieces. Add both sugars at the same time to the butter and combine. It will be crumbly, sandy texture, we do not want to over mix it. It should not be creamy!
Add chocolate chips or chocolate chunks and combine. Now we will add the flour mixture. Add it in two batches. First half will get incorporated easily, the second batch of flour mixture will be crumbly, but that’s ok. We will save the batter with eggs. Now add two large eggs (whisked) and combine. Once the dough comes together, stop mixing. We do not want to over mix it.
Now cooking scale and your hands will come handy. We will have to divide the dough into 12 equal balls. I have all calculated this for you in advance, so it will be roughly 125 grams each ball. Make balls and weigh each ball to have the equal amount of cookies dough in each ball.
FREEZE the cookie dough BEFORE BAKING
We have to freeze these cookie dough balls for at least 2 hours, before we will bake them. And I will explain why. So baking is sort of science and to make sure we get the crispy bottom, crunchy top and gooey and fudgy melted centre, it has to be frozen prior baking.
Once those babies are frozen, we will bake them straight from frozen. Oven needs to be hot in advance 350 F/ 180 C, including the baking sheet. Yes reheat the oven including the baking sheet with parchment paper on it. Pop 6 cookies per baking sheet onto the baking sheet and bake on middle position for 17-19 minutes. If you are using convection oven (the one with the fan), go with less time, 17 minutes. Once baked, take them out, transfer them on cooling rack and wait 5 minutes, before you will take a bite.
More chocolate recipes
- CHOCOLATE ALMOND BABKA
- CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES WITH CHERRY FILLING
- PUFF PASTRY CHOCOLATE AND POPPY SEED BABKA
- MINI DONUTS WITH CHOCOLATE GLAZE
- TRIPLE LAYER CHOCOLATE NO BAKE CHEESECAKE
What you will need to bake these chocolate chip cookies
NEW YORK STYLE LEVAIN BAKERY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- 2 cups (400 g) chocolate chips or chocolate pieces (milk chocolate)
- 1 cup (230 g) cold unsalted butter (cut into small cubes)
- 3/4 cup (175g) brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 g) regular sugar
- 3 1/3 cups (500 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp soda bicarbonate
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, soda bicarbonate, baking powder and salt. In another medium bowl of standing mixer, add butter (cut in pieces) and start mixing on low speed.
- Add sugar and combine. It will be crumbly, sandy texture, but it's ok. Add chocolate chips or chocolate chunks and combine.
- Add the flour mixture in two separate batches. First half will get incorporated easily, the second batch of flour mixture will be crumbly. Add two large eggs (whisked in advance) in the standing mixer and combine. Once the dough comes together, stop mixing. We do not want to over mix it.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal balls of 125 grams (4.4 oz) and freeze the cookie dough balls for 2 hours, in airtight container.
- Preheat oven 350 F/ 180 C with the baking sheet and parchment paper on it. Pop first batch (6 cookies) onto the baking sheet and bake in the oven (middle rack) for 17-19 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies on cooling rack and wait 5 minutes, before you will take a bite. Repeat the baking process with the remaining second batch of cookies.
Oh my word, such a decadent chocolate chip cookie! But worth every calorie 😉 Used chocolate chunks and they were perfect.
Thank you Kelli:) Yes it’s worth every bite!:)
These look absolutely amazing. I am making them now – they are in the freezer. Cannot wait to try a big bite of these cookies!
Can’t wait for you to tell me how you like them. I am about to pop in the oven more chocolaty version, posting it soon:)
These are absolutely fabulous, and perfect with my morning coffee!
Yes Alexandra, with coffee these cookies are amazing:) Have a fabulous day!
Yum! Love Levain Bakery! Your chocolate chip cookies look amazing. Great tips to achieve that same texture.
Thank you Tara:) I am happy to hear you love these cookies!
Oh wow! These are my absolute favorite kind of chocolate chip cookies! The more chocolate the better, and keep it soft and gooey!
Big yes Alison, more chocolate the better 🙂 Thank you so much!