PLUM GALETTE WITH ALMOND FILLING
I am dreaming of summer on another fall Friday! Last weekend, when I was doing my grocery, I saw plums on sale. It must be the last plums of this season, because the weather is really chilly, especially in the morning.
I love galettes for it’s easy preparation. It is such an easy an versatile dessert. You can fill the galettes with any kind of fruit, all year long. Peaches, strawberries, apples, pears, plums…etc.
I have to say though, that plum galette is one of my favorites. Plum taste vary by the kind of plums you choose. They taste sweet and sometime little tart, particularly the skin might be slightly tart.
It is juicy when eaten fresh and yummy when used in jam-making or other recipes. Plum juice can be fermented into plum brandy. In central Europe it is very popular. Well I don’t make plum brandy, but I make plum galletes.
What is particularly very yummy in this recipe, is that I am using a special almond filling or as I call it almond paste, which is infused with rum. If you are not a fan of a rum or you plan making this plum galette for the kids (even though I think that little drop of a rum alcohol will evaporate by the baking process ), you can use rum essence.
This almond puree can be easily substitute with any kind of nuts and those who are allergic to nuts can use simple all-purpose flour and add few drops of almond essence.
We will need for this recipe pre-made puff pastry, almond meal (flour), sugar, plums, unsalted butter, and apricot jam. You can use brown sugar, it gives more caramelized taste once it’s bakes. And I also use few blanched and sliced almonds, which I sprinkle on the sides of the galette, once egg washed.
You will simply start washing your plums first and removing the pit. Cut the plums on thinner slices, it will be easier to cut the galette after. Once all your plums are ready, you will need to prepare the almond paste.
Then roll out the puff pastry into the shape of oval or circle (doesn’t need to be precise here, it is artisan galette). Pour the almond paste onto the puff pastry and spread equally. Then it’s time for plums, place them in circular pattern, while leaving the edges of puff pastry free.
Dot the butter over the plums and sprinkle the sugar over the plums, then fold the puff pastry. Run the egg-wash on the edges of the dough and sprinkle the edges with little bit of sugar and place few blanched and sliced almonds on the edge as well. Now bake the galette accordingly your puff pastry package, I baked it for 45 minutes on 180 C/ 355 F.
Once the galette will be golden brown on the edges, usually it’s done. Take the galette out of the oven and brush slightly with the apricot jam over the plums and on the edges of the galette as well. Let it cool for 15 minutes and let’s cut it and enjoy it.
PLUM GALETTE WITH ALMOND FILLING
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes⭐baking time: 40-45 minutes⭐ servings: 8 portions
- 1 pkg of puff pastry (445 g/ 1 lb)
- 1/4 cup sugar – plus 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons ground almonds
- 1 tsp of rum or rum essence
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 pounds dark plums—halved, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small bits
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 1 small egg (for egg-wash)
- 1/2 cup of blanched and sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 180C / 355 F.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the sugar with the ground almonds and flour and add rum.
- Clean the plums, halved, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- Spread the almond paste evenly over the dough to within 2 inches of the edge.
- Arrange the plum wedges on top and dot with the butter. Sprinkle all but 1 teaspoon of the remaining 1/3 cup sugar over the fruit.
- Fold the edge of the dough up over the plums to create a 2-inch border and run egg-wash over the edges.
- Sprinkle the border with the reserved 1 teaspoon of sugar and sliced almonds.
- Bake the galette in the middle of the oven for 40 – 45 minutes or accordingly your puff pastry packaging
- Once baked, take it out of the oven and evenly brush apricot jam over the hot fruit; brush some up onto the crust, too, if desired. Let the galette cool to room temperature before serving.
Pin it for later!