This recipe is a base for Easy Classic Bread, baked in dutch oven. One day I was saying to myself, I should add some grains to this EZ Bread. But making a whole grain bread, it just ain’t me! I like good tasting food, please don’t get me wrong, yes we definitely need to eat healthy and whole grain bread might not taste, for most of you, that bad. But I think, if you want to go completely healthy, then you are sacrificing all these amazing flavors and textures…anyways I decided to add a bit of grains. And this time it will be almost half and half grains (rye flour) and white flour.
If you really want to use only rye flour you will have to either double the amount of the flour or reduce by half the amount of water. Why? Because rye flour has a lot of humidity in itself, or better say rye seeds are very moist by themselves. The bread will be more dense and more dry. That doesn’t mean it won’t be tasty. It really depends on each of you how you like it. I prefer little dense and still have it nice moist texture, that’s why I prefer this type of bread.
Just a little note, if you want to have your bread with nice white ornaments, simply sift a bit of a flour on it, before you let it rise for the second time. Once you sift the flour, use a sharp knife or scissors to cut out lines. And there you go, beautiful loaf of bread is ready to put in the oven now.
Let’s do the recipe:
- 1 cup of rye flour
- 2 cups of white flour
- ½ tsp dry yeast (or fresh)
- 2 tsps salt
- 1 ⅔ cup warm water (130F/55C)
- In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Stir in warm water until it’s well combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 3 hours.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface (aprox. 3 Tbs) and sprinkle dough with a flour (1Tbs). Fold dough with your hands over for about 10 times & shape into a rough ball. You might have to add more then flour, the dough should not be sticky.
- Place in a parchment paper-lined bowl and cover with a towel. Let stand on counter top for about 35 minutes.
- Meantime place Dutch oven with lid in a cold oven and preheat to 450° F. It might take 15-20 min.
- When oven reaches 232C/450° carefully, using oven gloves, lift the parchment paper and dough from the bowl and place gently into the hot pot. (parchment paper goes in the pot too) Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove lid. Return to oven uncovered and bake 10 – 15 more minutes.
So now I am wishing you a good luck with the recipe, its so easy, that nothing can go wrong. But if something doesn’t work out with the bread, let me know here below and I’ll more than glad to help you out!
Enjoy the bread or Bon Appetit!
Leave a Reply