How to make the most delicious and fall-off-the-bone baby back pork smoked ribs? Easy, cook pork ribs in pressure cooker and then finish the baking in the oven or on the BBQ. Plus the homemade smokey BBQ sauce is the best sauce you will ever use for ribs.
How to make Fall-off-the-bone baby back pork ribs
It is a Father’s Day in Canada this weekend and every Dad needs to have a good meaty meal for his special day. And I am going to show you how to make the most delicious, tender, fall-off-the-bone smoked pork ribs. More importantly, this is the fastest recipe to make pork ribs, by using pressure cooker.
How long does it takes to make pork ribs in pressure cooker?
Baby back pork ribs are done in pressure cooker in 15 minutes per 1 pound (450 g) of ribs. For beef ribs it would take 20 -250 minutes per 1 pound of beef ribs (450 g). For this recipe, baby back pork ribs will take 45 minutes, because we are using around 3 pounds of baby back pork ribs, which is roughly 1.5 kg of ribs. So having your pork ribs cooked in 45 minutes is amazing, isn’t it? Of course these are also extra time for finishing the ribs either in the oven or on the BBQ. I have both options written in this recipe.
Can I use electric Instant Pressure cooker “INSTANTPOT” ?
Of course, you can. Instantpot is my best friend lately, and I am using it often these days. It is very useful, when you need to quickly prepare a meal during busy weekdays. And I love the idea of tossing everything in the Instantpot and then leave it a do the cleaning or whatever you need to do around the house and forget about the meal you are preparing. Because Instantpot takes care of it for you!
But I also use my old version of pressure cooker, which needs the stove and heat. I love it, because of it’s big size. I can prepare bigger portions in this pressure cooker, like stews, soups, etc.
SMOKEY BABY BACK RIBS – flavour is everything
Key ingredients to get the best flavor
- Liquid smoke
- BBQ sauce
For smokey flavor, I use Hickory smoke in liquid. I always find the liquid smoke in my grocery store. But there is always online store, where you can find liquid smoke.
Garlic is a flavour powerhouse. It adds nutritional punch and adds wonderful flavour to this smokey baby back ribs recipe.
I love pork ribs with my own BBQ sauce full of smokey flavour, slightly garlicky and tangy with ketchup aroma. You can buy already made BBQ sauce, but best is to make your own. And making your own BBQ sauce is so simple. Few ingredients combines together and delicious BBQ sauce is ready.
How to remove the membrane
I always remove the white membrane on the back of the ribs. It makes the ribs much more tender and the unpleasant chewy part won’t be bothering you. To remove the membrane, take a knife and slide under the membrane, cut it alon the edge of the ribs. Then with your hand pull it away from the bones. Use paper towel to hold the memmbrane, if it’s slippery.
Let’s cook these pork ribs
To cook the pork ribs in pressure cooker, divide the pork ribs in sections. I prefer to divide them in portions. Depending on the the size of the ribs, cut it in section of 4-5 ribs. Season them and sear them on both sides. Then place them in the pressure cooker, along with onion, hickory smoke and water
Once the pork ribs are in the pressure cooker, cook them for 45 minutes. In the meanwhile , you can prepare BBQ sauce. It’s very easy, you will simple combine all the ingredients in this recipe and wait until the pressure cooker is done doing it’s magic.
After 45 minutes of cooking the pork ribs in the pressure cooker, release the vapor. Remove the pork ribs from the pressure cooker and place them in oven safe dish. Brush 3/4 of the BBQ sauce on the ribs and either place the oven dish in the preheated oven (middle rack) 450 F/232 C for 20 minutes or until the sauce starts to caramelize. Or you can place them one by one on open BBQ over medium high heat.
Brush them with the leftover BBQ sauce every time your will turn them. Repeat 3 -4 times or until BBQ sauce will starts to caramelize. It might take up to 1 minute each turn.
How might also like these recipes
- Apple flavoured pork ribs
- Slow pork roast
- Italian style pork shank osso buco
- The best Swedish meatballs recipe/
- Mushroom risotto
SMOKED BABY BACK PORK RIBS IN PRESSURE COOKER
- Pressure cooker
For the ribs
- 4 pounds (1.5 kg) 2 full racks baby back pork ribs
- 3 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp hickory liquid smoke
- 2 cups water
- 1 large onion
- 2 tbsps canola oil
For smokey BBQ sauce
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp hickory liquid smoke
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp mustard
For the Baby Back Pork Ribs
- Clean, wash the Baby Back Ribs and dry with paper towel. Remove the white membrane from the back of the ribs with a knife. Use butter knife and paper towel; membrane might be slipping through the fingers. Cut the ribs in sections, about 4-5 ribs at a time.
- Season the Baby Back Ribs with salt, pepper, red paprika and rub minced garlic in the ribs. Reheat pressure cooker on high heat. (If you are using Instant Pot, it's sear button and put it on high). Add 2 tbsp of canola oil and sear each side of the ribs, approximately 1 min each side.
- Once seared, remove the ribs from pressure cooker and place them on a plate, set aside. Cut onion on large pieces and add in pressure cooker. Stir and cook for 2 minutes, add water, liquid smoke and stack the ribs back in the pressure cooker.
- Close the lid of pressure cooker and check if safety button is on right position. If you are using traditional pressure cooker, cook first 15 minutes on high heat, then turn on medium heat and cook for another 30 minutes. If you are using Instant Pot, choose pressure cook program and set it for 45 minutes high pressure.
- Turn off the heat and release the pressure, either naturally (let it sit for 10 minutes until the pressure will be released) or press the button release pressure manually. Open the lid carefull and remove the ribs one by one from the pressure cooker. Place them on baking sheet.
- Now you have 2 options. You either preheat you BBQ or oven.
- Preheat oven 450 F/232 C and brush over the ribs 3/4 of the homemade smokey BBQ sauce. Bake on middle rack, for 20 minutes or until the sauce starts to caramelize. At the end brush over the ribs the rest of the BBQ sauce and let stand on the counter for 5-10 minutes. Serve with your favourite side.
- Reheat BBQ on medium heat, place baby back ribs directly on the BBQ and brush the ribs lightly with BBQ sauce. Turn the ribs on other side, but only once the BBQ sauce lightly starts to caramelize (in about 1-2 minutes). Turn the ribs 3-4 times. If your ribs are already so tender and starts to fall apart, then brush the ribs once and turn them only once. Finishing the ribs with last touch of BBQ sauce before serving
For the Smokey BBQ Sauce
- While you pressure cooker is cooking your ribs, you can get ready smokey BBQ sauce.
- Place the chicken bouillon cube in medium bowl and pour over hot water. Mash it with fork to combine with water.
- Add all the other ingredients for BBQ sauce, stir with wooden spatula and brush over the Baby Back Pork Ribs.
- This recipe is suited for traditional and electric Instant Pot pressure cooker.
- I recommend always remove the membrane on the pork ribs. You will enjoy more these tender baby back pork ribs.
- BBQ sauce is smokey flavoured, you can either omit the hickory smoke and add Tabasco or any other hot sauce to spice up the BBQ sauce.
- The pork ribs has to be divided in portions of 4-5 ribs, to fit the pressure cooker.
- Always read safety instructions, that comes with your pressure cooker, as these may vary from one type to another. Also cooking instructions might be slightly different/adjusted for your type of pressure cooker. ALWAYS consult first cooking instruction booklet of your pressure cooker, before following cooking instructions in this recipe.
Pin this recipe for later!