Another week passed by and I am hoping you enjoyed it as much as I did. Summer always pass by fast, so I wanna make the best of it. So we, as a family spend a lot of time outside, even our dinning was moved onto the patio. Everything tastes much better outside!
This week I have decided to share with you one of the most common dish in Czech Republic. And it is stuffed peppers with minced meat, tomato sauce and Czech dumplings. In Czech this dish is simply called “Rajska” and everybody knows, what you will get on the plate, once ordered in the restaurant (yes, you can get this dish in pubs and restaurant in Czech Repubic) or simply preparing it at home. Those of you, who are reading this article and are Czech might giggle a bit while saying the name of the dish “Rajska”. Because it might bring on your mind, very famous quote, from one of the best Czech movies Pelisky. And the quote states: Little girl asking her mom: “Again! we are eating Rajska?” 😂
Anyways, this dish was/is very common in Czech families and schools, and was practically served every week, because it is easy to prepare and easily affordable. So you can see on the picture, that we will need some minced meet. As I mentioned before, once I use minced meat, I always mix three kinds of meat for better taste. And it is: beef, pork and veal. We will use a lot of onion and garlic, some Czech herbs and spices. Preparation time is approximately 20 minutes and cooking of stuffed peppers will be around 40 minutes. If you will be preparing tomato sauce from scratch, count extra 20-30 minutes. In this recipe I am using pre-cooked and crushed tomatoes in jar, so I simply empty the content in the saucepan and season it.
Here is the recipe:
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 35 ml/ 3 Tbsp warm milk
- 100 g/ 0.22 lb ground beef
- 100 g/ 0.22 lb ground pork
- 100 g/ 0.22 lb ground veal
- 1 small egg
- 40 g/ 1/3 cup bread crumbs with Italian seasoning or dry bread
- 2 medium cloves of garlic,minced
- 2 Tsp dry marjoram or fresh parsley chopped finely
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 medium onion (chopped finely)
- 1 Tsp of dry paprika
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1l / 4 cups of tomato sauce , here is the recipe for TOMATO SAUCE
- In medium bowl, mix all the ingredients and pour over warm milk. Mix well with your hands or spatula.
- Stuff the red bell pepper with the meat mixture.
- Preheat oven on 177 C / 375 F.
- In the oven safe dish pour 2 Tbsp of olive oil and 1/2 cup of water and place stuffed red bell pepper in it.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes uncovered, on middle rack.
- Follow the instruction for tomato sauce here TOMATO SAUCE
- Serve with rice or Czech dumplings, here is recipe for CZECH DUMPLINGS
Hopefully you won’t find this recipe too difficult, the tomato sauce can be simply just bought at the store, if you don’t have enough time to prepare it and you just bake the stuffed peppers.
Also Czech dumplings might be longer to prepare, so you can substitute for rice. Or simply once you decide making dumplings, make double or triple portion and freeze it. It can be stored up to 3-4 months in the freezer. That’s what I always do!
Enjoy your meal! And thank you for following! JuliaRecipes.
Leave a Reply