TACOS WITH BRUSSELS SPROUTS
written by @JuliaRecipes
“This post may contain affiliate links. Please see disclosure page for more information.”
I have been experimenting with Brussels sprouts for the last month and I am being convinced, that this is one of the most powerful vegetables ever. I knew, since I was a little girl, that cabbage is fully packed with enormously high concentration of vitamin C, but what I didn’t know is that it also contain vitamin K, Thiamine, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Potassium, and it is as well very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin B6, Folate and Manganese. It is low in saturated fat and cholesterol. It supports your cardiovascular and digestive system, it works as an anti-inflammatory boost and it might prevent cancer. Is this enough for you? Hihi, I am telling you, this is the vegetable to add to your diet and Brussels sprouts have the same benefits as cabbage.
I love tacos and unfortunately during the winter time, it’s less likely, that we would use barbecue under the snow (even though I heard stories, that some people go crazy for BBQ and they move their grills in garage and using it there during the winter). But ,as soon as the good weather hits this country, we all Canadians, get out and fire up the BBQs😃. I think I heard once, that actually Canadians are using barbecue, way more often then Americans! 😮I had a hard time believing this, despite the fact, that America has many more sunshine states, then Canada has, where people can grill all year around. But who knows, maybe we Canadians, are so eager, after many months buried under the snow, we just want to catch up and will fire up the grill twice a day during the no snow season 🤣.Yup, everything is possible!
All right folks, let me get back to my recipe. So, as I was saying I am starting to love Brussels sprouts and trying to make my whole family to love it as much as I do. And most importantly, I’d like to add this vegetable to our diet for all it’s benefits. As all mothers, we know, it’s not easy to make our children (husbands 😜) to eat good green vegetables, so I am coming out with this easy recipe for tacos with Brussels sprouts. I believe you, it is not very common, to add this kind of greens in our diet and especially, how to prepare it. So my advice here is, always make it roasted, grilled or baked. I have never find an interest in steamed or cooked in water Brussels sprouts. I am not gonna lie, they honestly stinks, when cooked in water. I have tried many herbs to put all together in the pot, but that cooked smell never went away. So I do stick to my roasted version and in my opinion , it is the best.
I am using for this recipe iron cast skillet, because I will put the skillet in oven to roast a bit. Start with good olive oil or butter, this will add great flavor to your Brussels sprouts. Most of the time I cut few pieces of bacon or lard to accompany and make the flavors to come together. If you add to your skilled or baking sheer garlic, either crushed or whole (cut in half), it will add even more flavor. If you like spiciness, add some jalapeno or some great spices as chili. In this recipe I added little sweet pepper, because I served it to children, it adds color and nice flavor as well. I also added cherry tomatoes, that was optional, because I wanted to have a lot of vibrant colors and cherry tomatoes were on hand.
Cilantro and lime are essential for tacos, you can’t go without it. It brings all the great taco flavors to your dish. As I didn’t wanted to go completely vegetarian on this dish, I added pieces of chicken sausages with mozzarella and red bell pepper filling. Those were already fully cooked and I just cut them on pieces and reheat them in iron cast skillet. Once all this is cooked and roasted, you can start to assemble your tacos. Use old fashion taco tortillas, reheat them little in microwave and then add all the ingredients inside, top it with your favorite toppings, hot sauces, organic salsa, sour cream, mustard sauces and don’t forget to garnish with cilantro and splash it with lime, mmm Oh yeah, this feels like a summer! 🌞Ehm, I forgot, accompany with good Mexican beer 🍺
TACOS WITH BRUSSELS SPROUTS
Preparation time: 15 minutes⭐cooking time: 30 minutes⭐ servings: 4-6 adults
- 1 pkg of corn tortillas (gluten free)
- 4 cups Brussels sprouts
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 4 slices of bacon or lard (cut in small pieces)
- 2 Tbs olive oil or butter
- 4 chicken sausages fully cooked
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 5-6 small sweet peppers
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup organic salsa
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbs cilantro + for garnish
- hot sauce piri-piri Nando (my favorite)
- In a large iron cast skillet, reheat the olive oil or butter and place bacon,cut in small pieces, fry it for 5 minutes and then place washed brussels sprouts in the skillet.
- Because I love garlic, I always use the whole bulb cut in half (washed) and roasted on the skillet. If you are lover of a garlic, add the bulb of garlic, cut in half into the skillet together with Brussels sprous.
- Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, then add cherry tomatoes, sweet pepper cut in pieces (cleaned from seeds), season with salt and pepper.
- Chop cilantro and add it in the skillet, stir and splash the vegetable with half of a lime, then place the iron cast skillet in preheated oven on 350F/177 C and roast for another 15 minutes.
- In the meanwhile in another skillet reheat 1 tsp of olive oil and reheat/ fry your sausages cut in pieces, from both sides.
- Now it’s time to assemble. Add ,on the bottom or reheated corn tortilla, your favorite salsa and top it with Brussels sprouts mix, sausages, fresh jalapeno or fresh sweet peppers, hot sauce piri-piri. Add some sour cream or cheese, whatever you like on your tacos and don’t forget to splash it with lime and garnish with cilantro. And it’s done! Enjoy healthy Brussels sprouts tacos!