Pumpkin bundt cake with lemon cream cheese frosting is moist bundt cake suitable for Thanksgiving table. Share a slice with freshly whipped cream, o not!
October has arrived and Thanksgiving is around the corner. I wanted to go with something different from classic pumpkin pie. But still something simple for the busy season. So I came up with a pumpkin bundt cake recipe with cream cheese frosting. And it is moist and soft bundt cake with extra pumpkin purée flavour and just so yummy.
“This post may contain affiliate links. Please see disclosure page for more information.”
Everything pumpkin, everything orange
If you are the person who loves everything pumpkin as soon as October hits the door, then this is one of the recipes you want to try. You can’t go wrong with this simple vanilla bundt cake with addition of pumpkin purée.
What’s fun about this recipe, is that you can bake the bundt cake a day before Thanksgiving. And so your oven will be free for the big day just for the turkey. This was always my concern, when I was preparing a dessert on Thanksgiving.
When I was making this recipe for the first time, I used organic high quality pumpkin purée, with beautiful orange colour. But the second time, I used a different brand of pumpkin purée and the colour didn’t come out this nice. So I have decided to use tiny food colouring to help the orange colour stand out, and you can do too.
Unfortunately adding more purée will not solve the colour issue. It will make your bundt cake more dense, almost gummy texture. So I would recommend to use food colouring in gel form.
You may also add little of the pumpkin purée of orange food colouring to the cream cheese frosting to have pumpkin cream cheese frosting. This will add up more cheerful colour to the Thanksgiving theme.
Ingredients for pumpkin bundt cake
For the bundt cake
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- large eggs
- brown sugar
- heavy cream 35 %
- vanilla extract
- pumpkin purée
For the cream cheese frosting
- cream cheese
- lemon juice
- powdered sugar
- zest from lemon
This recipe for Pumpkin bundt cake is adapted for the classic 9″ bundt cake pan, and it holds up to 6 cups of bundt cake mixture.
How to make pumpkin bundt cake with glaze
Always start your baking with clean space on your kitchen counter and your ingredients on hand. Measure dry ingredients first and place them together in medium bowl, whisk and set aside. Prepare the bundt cake pan with baking spray (containing flour). If you don’t have this one, you can use cooking spray, brush it all over the bundt cake pan, then dust it lightly with flour.
To make your bundt cake fluffy, you must start to whisk (with whisk attachment) egg yolks with sugar. I recommend stand mixer fitted paddle attachement, we will be mixing a lot. Separate the yolks from whites and reserve egg whites in a medium bowl, set aside.
Whisk egg yolks with sugar until fluffy, about 5 – 8 minutes. The mixture must be white-ish and fluffy (as we are using brown sugar, the mixture will be slightly beige). Slowly start adding vanilla extract and heavy cream, until well combined. The mixture will be very liquid, so whisking it on medium slow, even just slow, is strongly recommended.
Add flour mixture spoon by spoon. Once your batter is well combined. Take the egg whites in medium bowl and whisk them until stiff peaks. With spatula, slowly incorporate egg whites into the batter. Separate the batter in half and half.
Use the previous medium bowl, where you whisked the egg whites. The First half of the mixture will stay white, so you can already pour it inside the bundt cake pan. The second one will be orange, because of the pumpkin purée. Add to the second mixture 5 tbsp of pumpkin purée and lightly incorporate with spatula.
If you would like to add some food coloring, now it’s the time. Add few drops and lightly incorporate the food coloring into the batter. Pour the batter over the white mixture and bake in preheated oven, 170 C/ 350 F for about 45 – 50 minutes. Insert a toothpick at the end of the baking, to make sure, the batter is well baked. Your toothpick should come out clean. Than means the batter is baked.
More PUMPKIN recipes
- PUMPKIN PIE SPICE CHEESECAKE BARS
- PUMPKIN DONUTS
- THE BEST PUMPKIN PIE RECIPE
- PUMPKIN SPICE CHEESECAKE TART
- PUMPKIN MAC AND CHEESE
“THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE DISCLOSURE PAGE FOR MORE INFORMATION.”
PUMPKIN BUNDT CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE GLAZE
- 4 cups (480 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream 35 %
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1 drop orange gel food colouring optional
Lemon cream cheese glaze
- 1 pkg (250 g) cream cheese
- 5 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup (125 g) powdered sugar
- 1 medium lemon for zest
- Preheat oven to 177 C/ 350 F and position the rack in the middle of the oven. Spray bundt cake with cooking spray or butter and dust with flour. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, salt. Give a quick stir and set aside.
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites. In a large bowl of stand mixer, with paddle attachment mix egg yolks with brown sugar on high speed for 5 – 8 minutes. Reserve egg whites for later.
- Reduce the speed to low and add vanilla extract and heavy cream, spoon by spoon. Now start adding slowly spoon by spoon dry ingredients. Mix on low-medium speed, until well combined.
- In another large bowl with whisk attachment, whisk egg white until stiff peaks. With spatula slowly incorporate egg whites into the batter. Separate the batter in half-and-half. Use the previous bowl for egg whites.
- The first half of the batter will stay white, so you can already pour it inside the bundt cake pan. Add to the second batter 5 tbsp of pumpkin purée and lightly incorporate with spatula. Add some orange food colouring, if you desire deep orange colour. Incorporate gently into the batter.
- Pour the second batter over the white batter in the bundt pan and bake 45 to 50 minutes. Insert a toothpick at the end of the baking, to make sure, the batter is well baked.
- Remove the bundt cake pan from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Invert the cake into the cooling rack and glaze it with lemon cream cheese glaze.
Lemon cream cheese glaze
- In a medium bowl, mix room temperature cream cheese with sugar and until smooth (you may also use food processor or blender for smoother consistency of the glaze).
- Add slowly lemon juice and zest from one lemon in the cream cheese and cover the bundt cake with the glaze. Let the glaze set for 5 minutes.
- Serve with extra whipped cream on the side.
Pin it for later!
Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.”
It looks gorgeous!
I l love this recipe. Thanks for sharing it.
I am so happy you like this pumpkin bundt cake, hope you will try making one for upcoming Thanksgiving dinner 🙂
Looks pretty & sounds delicious!
Thank you Megala, I love converting old style recipes into something new and into the season. Have a wonderful day!
Thats nice! Good day to you too.
That’s fairly similar to something my grandma used to make, it makes my mouth water involuntarily 🙂
It’s actually the older recipe I got from my grandma. I have converted it into pumpkin flavoured bundt cake. Grandma’s recipes are the best!
Thank you so much for your kind comment Chocoviv 🙂
You’re welcome 😇
You’re welcome 😇