These chocolate Cupcakes for valentines Day are full of real chocolate. Filled with cherry jam and topped with real fresh whipped cream. Decorated with some cute Valentine sprinkles.
Chocolate cupcakes are always a big win in my family. And when I fill them with cherry filling, it must be the Valentine’s time! Yeah, the time when we love everybody and everything and chocolate and sweets are all over the house. Let’s indulge in this lovely moment and make chocolate cupcakes with cherry filling.
These days, I am not alone in my kitchen. My daughter says, she wasn’t to learn more of my baking. And she starts to be more curious, about cooking and baking. So when it comes to decorate Valentine’s cupcakes, she will be around to help me out with these Chocolate cupcakes with cherry filling.
Chocolate moist cupcakes for Valentines
The base for the cupcake is moist and rich chocolate batter and this recipe calls for 12 cupcakes. I always make double doze, because my kids love to decorate and bring it to their teachers for Valentine’s Day. For the cherry filling, I used cherry pie filling, but you can also use any kind of cherry preserve or jelly.
Buttercream or whipped cream
For the butter cream, I have used lightly whipped cream with sugar. But you could also use cream cheese or any other butter cream to decorate the chocolate cupcakes. I prefer lighter cream, because the chocolate cupcakes are already fairly rich and heavy with cherry filling, and so I have decided to combine it with fluffy light whipped cream.
Exciting heart shaped topping
As for the topping, my daughter decided to go with sugar shaped mini hearts and pinkish candy sprinkles these cupcakes for valentines Day. Wilton has many varieties and options to top your Valentine’s treats, so visit your local grocery store and get your decorating fantasy go crazy.
Ingredients for Chocolate cupcakes for Valentines with cherry filling
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- cocoa powder
- unsalted butter
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- vegetable oil
- bittersweet chocolate chips
- cup cherry pie filling
- whipping cream
- confectioner sugar
- sugar sprinkles or sugar hearts
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE BATTER
Prepare this easy cupcakes batter
Start first combine all the dry ingredients, except the brown sugar. All the dry ingredients should be always sifted, especially the cocoa powder and flour. If you won’t sift the cocoa powder, it will create little cocoa balls in your cupcake batter, and it won’t be well incorporated. If you are using self-raised flour, you don’t have to use baking powder. Set these dry ingredients on the side.
Melt the chocolate in microwave. Extra chocolate will make these cupcakes for valentines even better. Always use power 70% and 1 minute at the time. Stir the chocolate in between each interval. It will take up to 2 minutes to melt this amount of chocolate. Set aside.
In the meanwhile; in a stand mixer, mix butter with brown sugar, until creamy & fluffy. Add one egg at a time and combine until it’s well incorporated. Make sure your eggs are at room temperature. Continue adding the rest of wet ingredients (vegetable oil & vanilla extract) and let each ingredient to get well combined after each addition.
Take the dry ingredients and mix it into the wet ingredients batter. Divide the mixture equally into the cupcake tin; use ice cream scoop and add 1 and 1/2 scoop into each tin.
Bake the cupcakes for Valentines.
Place the cupcake tin in a preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. At the end insert a skewer, if it comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Allow cupcakes to stand in the tin on a cooling rack for 10 minutes, then carefully remove and allow cooling completely.
These cupcakes are filled with cherry pie filling. But you can use as a filling Nutella, Peanut butter, jams or salted caramel.
In the medium bowl, with electric mixer and whisk attachment, whisk on medium-low speed chilled whipping cream until frothy. Add confectioner sugar and increase the speed to high. Whip until the mixture thickens.
Assemble the cupcakes for Valentines.
Core each cupcake with the Cupcake Corer or use Wilton no. 1A and fill each hole with a teaspoon or two of cherry pie filling. Use disposable pastry bag and fill it with whipped cream. Cut 1/2″ inch of pastry bag and pipe the whipped cream onto cupcake with circular motion. Sprinkle with sugar sprinkles or sugar hearts.
Tips and Tricks
Whipping cream is best to be whipped, when very cold. Take the whipping cream out of the refrigerator right before whipping it. You may also chill in the refrigerator the whisk(s).
Add the sugar into whipped cream when it’s in a half-way of mixing. You will notice, that it suddenly starts to thicken, this is the time to add sugar.
Instead of disposable pastry bags, you can use milk bags. Cut the end of the bag (where you previously made a hole for pouring the milk), rinse it and dry it. Fill it with whipped cream and cut a small hole at the other end. Pipe as usually.
Little trick, for making the holes in the cupcakes for Valentines. Make during the day cupcakes and let the cupcakes cool down overnight, it’s easier to cut out the holes.
More recipe ideas for Valentine’s Day
- VALENTINE’S STRAWBERRY PUFF HEARTS
- NUTELLA PUFF PASTRY TWISTS
- VALENTINE’S CAKE POPS RECIPE
- NUTELLA SWIRL CHEESECAKE
- STRAWBERRY CREAM CHEESE MOUSSE
“THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE DISCLOSURE PAGE FOR MORE INFORMATION.”
CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES FOR VALENTINE’S DAY
- 1 cup (120 g) all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup (25 g) cocoa powder sifted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (185 g) butter softened
- 3/4 cup (150 g) brown sugar
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (155 ml) vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (80 g) bittersweet chocolate chips melted
- 3/4 (180 ml) cup cherry pie filling
- 1 (250 ml) cup whipped cream chilled
- 1/2 (50 g) cup confectioner sugar (icing sugar)
- sugar sprinkles or sugar hearts
- Prepare cupcake tin for 12 cupcakes with cupcake papers cups and preheat the oven to 160 °C/ 325 F.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients (except brown sugar). Sift the flour & cocoa powder first, then add baking powder, salt and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave. In medium microwave proof bowl, power 70% for 1 minute. Remove from the microwave, stir and set aside.
- In a large bowl of stand electric mixer, cream softened butter and brown sugar together on high until light and fluffy. (About 3-5 minutes).
- Add these following ingredients: two extra large eggs, vanilla extract, vegetable oil and melted chocolate. Let each ingredient to get well combined after each addition.
- At the end add the dry ingredients reserved earlier. And mix them together with wet ingredients.
- Divide the mixture equally into the cupcake tin; use ice cream scoop and add 1 and 1/2 scoop into each tin. Place the cupcake tin in a preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. At the end insert a skewer, if it comes out clean, the cupcakes are done.
- Allow cupcakes to stand in the tin on a cooling rack for 10 minutes, then carefully remove and allow cooling completely.
Filling for the cupcakes
- Core each cupcake with the Cupcake Corer or use Wilton tip no. 1A and fill each hole with a teaspoon or two of cherry pie filling.
- In the medium bowl, with electric mixer and whisk attachment, whisk on medium-low speed chilled whipping cream until frothy. Add confectioner sugar and increase the speed to high. Whip until the mixture thickens.
- Use disposable pastry bag and fill it with whipped cream. Cut 1/2" inch of pastry bag and pipe the whipped cream onto cupcake with circular motion. Sprinkle with sugar sprinkles or sugar hearts.