VIETNAMESE SPRING – SUMMER ROLLS
writen by @JuliaRecipes
“This post may contain affiliate links. Please see disclosure page for more information.”
The promised recipe for spring rolls is here! Honestly, it has been a while I haven’t done these fresh spring rolls, I would say since my kids were born! OMG time flies, we used to have so much free time, me and my hubby before our kids were born. Making all sort of amazing foodie escapades in restaurants, eating and exploring new recipes. Where are those days!
I am so happy, that I started to write this blog, because with all the foodie-recipe ideas I had long time ago and now with the experience I have now, it is the best combo ever! And as a mommy, I know how to transform non likable recipes for kids into more friendly version, so stick around guys, you will definatelly like it!
All let me explain you what are we going to be addidng in these beautiful and colorfull summer rolls. You will need some rice paper wraps, mint leaves, cilantro leaves this vietnamese noodles, julienne cut vegetables as cucumber, carrots, red cabbage. I added in my summer rolls letuce salad, avocado, red bell peppers for color and shrimps. And some sesame seeds for the top of the roll for nicer look.
Tips: for the peanut sauce you can use hoisin sauce, I substitute this sauce with soya sauce and sugar, that’s what basicaly hoisin sauce is made of. When you mix your peanut sauce, place it for a few seconds in microwave, it will be easier to combine the ingredients. You can use peanuts and pistacios to top the sauce for better looks.
Rice paper rolls are tricky, many people makes a mistake with rice paper rolls, to leaving them way too long in the water, so it becomes very soft and soogy and it tears and breaks. Only 20 seconds in tap warm water is practically enough for rice paper roll to soften. Don’t worry, if your rice paper roll feels still a bit hard, it will soften in the process of rolling. If you do not serve your rolls right away, prevent the drying by placing wet paper towel over the rolls. Make sure, you always tighten well the paper roll and make sure to stick the end of the paper roll well, the contact of paper on paper is the key to stick together the roll. Well, I think now you are ready to roll the Vientamese spring rolls, go a ahead and roll some rolls😜
VIETNAMESE SPRING – SUMMER ROLLS
Preparation time: 30-40 minutes⭐cooking time: 10-15 minutes⭐ servings: 6 medium rolls (4 persons)
- 1 pkg of rice paper rolls
- 100 g vermicelli rice noodles (cooked according the packaging)
- 8 medium shrimps (cooked and sliced in half)
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced in julienne style
- 1 large carrotte, sliced in julienne style
- handfull of red cabbage, sliced in julienne style
- 1/2 of red bell pepper, sliced in julienne style
- 1 large avocado, halved, pitted, and sliced
- 6 lettuce leaves
- fresh mint leaves
- fresh cilantro leaves
- organic sesame seeds
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsps sugar
- 1-2 tbsp finely chopped roasted peanuts
- 1 tsp of hot sauce of your choice (optional)
- you can use hoisin sauce instead of soy sauce and sugar
- First we will prepare the peanut sauce. Whisk together all the ingredients in a medium bowl, except the peanuts, these you will sprinkle over it, before serving. You can put the bowl with ingredients in microwave for 30 seconds to melt the peannut butter.
- Split the shrimp in half lengthwise and set aside. You will end up with 16 thinner pieces of shrimps.
- Fill a wide, shallow bowl with warm tap water. Working with one spring-roll wrapper at a time, soak until lightly pliable, but not completely softened, about 20 seconds. Transfer to a flat surface and smooth.
- Place a pile of noodles on the bottom third of the wrapper and spread them out a bit, leaving a 1 ½-inch border. Add cucumbers, herbs, carrots,red bell pepper, slices of avocado.
- On the row above the noodles and vegetable pile, add 4 shrimps making sure the pink-orange sides face down and place lettuce over it. Start folding the bottom of the wrapper tightly over the noodle layer. Tuck in sides, and finish rolling over the shrimp layer. See pictures bellow.
- Remember, do not overstuff the roll. Start small then add more, as needed, as you roll each one.
- Transfer roll to a plate and cover with a slightly damp paper towel. Repeat to make 6 summer rolls.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with the peanut dipping sauce and Enjoy!!
Here you can see how to place your ingredients on the rice paper.
The lettuce got over the shrimps and you cover first quarter of your rice paper, then you fold on the sides and continue rolling towards the lettuce.
And there it is done! Place on plate and cover with wet paper towel and plastic wrap until serving.
“Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.”
Loved it 🙂
Thank you so much Priya 😍
You call me Priyo not Priya 🙂
Oups Priyo 😊sorry🤗
Looks so good Julia!! So healthy and vibrant. And I love the look of that dipping sauce you made (:
Thank you so much Nicolas 😍
Julie Michele Tuttle
Looks amazing! I’m making these for a party tomorrow<3
That dipping sauce is giving me life right now.
I am loving the PB sauce so much 😃😋