written by @juliarecipes
Halloween is my favorite spooky season to have fun with friends. Every year I have a Halloween party at my place, so I always have to come up with something spooky, funny and yummy.
I have been browsing Pinterest for last two weeks and I loved these Witches fingers design. My daugther was thrilled when she saw that, so we decided to make these. Usually this witches fingers are made either from pretzels sticks or sugar cookie dough. But I decided to experiment a bit and was wanting to have savory finger food, so I opted for pizza dough and added cheddar cheese inside the dough and it came out fantastic.
I am using pre-made pizza dough, which I had already frozen from previous batch, so it was fairly easy to make. And of course it cut down also on time. But you can get a pizza dough at any grocery store and if you are not so into pizza dough, you can substitute with puff pastry. Puff pastry is available at the frozen food section of your grocery store.
For the food coloring, you don’t necessarily need to use any. If you make your witch fingers with natural color of pizza dough, it will still look spooky. My daughter wanted to add many colors, so it came out sort of dirty witches fingers dough, but I liked that, it looked very realistic.
If you don’t feel like using cheese, no problem, these witches fingers are very savory and you can also dip them in salsa or cheese sauce if you’d like to. When you take them out of the oven, they are so crispy from outside and fluffy from inside, it’s just delicious. Little almond as a nail is not only very classic for witches fingers, but it’s quiet good as a little crisp of baked almond.
Technic of rolling is very simple. Some people will roll on the wooden board, I prefer to roll it in between the palms of my hands. Always using bit of flour, so the dough doesn’t stick on your hands.
TIP: Cut smaller pieces of dough, because even though it might seems small, it will puff in the oven. My first pieces of fingers were so big, that they looked like swollen witches fingers. They still tasted delicious, but as a look, it was weirdo puffy fingers. So I suggest rolling finger 4 inches long and 1/2 inch wide.
I have also made brownie cupcakes and I covered them in marshmallow spider net. For the brownie cupcake recipe go here and for the marshmallow spider net, take few marshmallows and place them in small microwave bowl. Microwave fro 30 seconds and let cool for a minute.
Then take the melted marshmallow in your hands (this is were it will become sticky) and try to tear them apart with your fingers and place them over the brownie cupcakes. Once you have the marshmallow in your hands, you will get it, how sticky it gets!
Preparation time: 15 minutes⭐cooking time: 35 minutes⭐ servings: 10 portions
- 1 ball pizza dough
- few slices of cheddar cheese
- 10 raw almonds
- 1 small egg
- Few drops of food coloring
- Preheat oven on 375F/177C.
- On a floured work surface, knead the dough for few minutes to activate the glutens. Add few drops of food coloring on the dough and kneed to dough for few minutes, so the food coloring gets absorbed.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal pieces and roll the dough up to 4 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. Cut the dough long-wise, but don’t cut through, place the cheese stripes inside and close the dough, roll twice to reshape the dough.
- Make small cuts with knife in the middle and on the each side of the dough and then push with your two fingers on each side of the dough to create knuckles.
- Take an almond and push it in the dough on one of the sides.
- Place the withes fingers onto baking sheet.
- Brush with egg wash and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Enjoy your Halloween party my friends and be safe.🎃