Delicious, fluffy and moist. This is how it should taste this amazing lemon cake. And of course fast and made from easy ingredients, which you usually should not run out of (well usually), because today’s schedules are pretty tight and we busy moms need something easy and fast!
Well, yes maybe you don’t have lemons at the moment in your fridge, it’s ok, use oranges! Ok, maybe you are saying, Julia I have no oranges either! It’s alright my dear reader, don’t need oranges nor lemons, just leave out the lemons or oranges and just substitute the lemon juice for more milk, water or oil and add some natural flavoring, as lemon extract. If don’t even have this either, you won’t have a lemon cake but still you can get a vanilla cake 😉
So here is the recipe, enjoy and don’t forget to let me know how did it go!
- 4 eggs
- 220 g / 1 cup sugar
- 250 g / 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 ml canola oil
- 100 ml hot water for fluffy cake or milk for moist cake
- 1 large lemon for zest
- 2 medium lemons for juice
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- Preheat oven to 302F/150C. Grease one 8” cake pan on the sides and put parchment paper on the bottom.
- In a large bowl beat the egg yolks with sugar until creamy. Add gradually vanilla extract, water/milk, canola oil, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and add it to the batter gradually, mix on low speed.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and soft peaks are formed.
- Fold the egg whites carefully in the batter and pour into the prepared 8” cake pan.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake at 302F/150C for 1 hour. Let stand for 15min. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar over the top.
I am hoping, that you find this recipe really easy and you did had fun and good quality time in the kitchen, either by yourself or with your kids or your partner. Now you must be already relaxing over good cup of a coffee and enjoying your masterpiece lemon cake!