This Lemon Pound Cake with zesty lemon glaze is perfect for Sunday afternoon coffee. It is moist, zesty and simply delicious! And this recipe includes step-by-step recipe video!
Lemon flavours are best for pound cake
Lemon flavors are very popular in my family. We love this zing in our afternoon coffee cakes. This is why you find on my blog that many delicious tangy recipes like:
- GLAZED LEMON SCONES WITH POPPY SEEDS
- LEMON TART (TARTE AU CITRON)
- THE BEST LEMON CHEESECAKE
- DELICIOUS MINI LEMON TARTS
This versatile recipe for lemon pound cake, can be adjusted to your liking by changing the lemon for orange or any other citrus fruits. We mostly love lemon, because it has the best aroma and it adds the perfect acidity to this butter cake.
Did I say butter ? Yes I did, butter gives this creamy, moist texture to the cake, and I am using unsalted butter in this Lemon Pound Cake to bring the best out of this cake.
Ingredients for Lemon pound cake
For the cake
- unsalted butter
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- lemons for zest
- fresh lemon juice
- whole milk
- vanilla extract
For the Lemon glaze
- confectioner (icing) sugar
- fresh lemon juice
- whole milk
TIPS & TRICKS
Keep ingredients always in room temperature
The first to remember is to have all your ingredients at room temperature. Butter, eggs, milk are very important to keep in room temperature when preparing batter for cake. I usually leave my ingredients at least 2 hours before I will bake.
If you don’t have a butter you can substitute with vegetable oil. The cake still be moist and fluffy, but not as much buttery. In this case you would start to mix sugar with eggs until creamy consistency and then add the oil in lemon and milk mixture.
Lemon zest is the key ingredient in this pound cake and fresh lemon juice is very important in this recipe, it brings all that zing and aroma of lemon and this is what makes this whole cake so citrus aromatics. If you don’t have fresh lemons you can still use lemon extract as a substitute for lemon zest and store bought lemon juice for fresh lemon juice.
Substitutes for fresh lemon
In this case, instead of lemon zest use 1 tsp of lemon extract. And for lemon juice you follow the recipe as directed, using store bought lemon juice. Same case for the glaze, use store bought lemon juice, the quantity doesn’t change, follow the recipe as directed.
This is a quick flavourful coffee cake
This recipe for Lemon Pound Cakes takes 30 minutes to prepare and is fairly easy to make. Start preparing loaf pan 9 × 5 inches, butter and line with parchment paper and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 F / 180 C and place the rack in middle position of the oven.
Cream the butter with sugar. In a medium bowl start creaming/mixing the butter with sugar, until creamy. Then add whole eggs and mix well, until combined.
Now get ready dry ingredients. In another bowl, stir together all-purposed flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt and zest of lemon. Set this bowl of dry ingredients aside.
Prepare liquid ingredients. In a measuring cup mix together all liquid ingredients: lemon juice, milk and vanilla extract. Stir well to combine. Now we will be combining dry and liquid ingredients and mixing it into the creamed butter.
Alternate dry and liquid ingredients. Start adding into the creamed butter one third of the dry ingredients’ mixture. Mix it well to combine the flour with butter. Add one third of the liquid mixture. Always start to mix on low speed and increase the speed slowly. Always adapt the speed of the mixer. The flour or the liquids can easily splash out of the container, if you don’t start mixing slowly. Continue adding alternatively the dry & liquid mixtures, until you mix them all in. Scrape the sides of the bowl as well with rubber spatula to remove any excess of flour.
Pour the batter in prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes in preheated oven. Keep an eye on the pound cake, especially for the last 10 minutes of baking. Ovens vary with temperatures, so if the top of the cake starts to brown, place a piece of parchment paper over the loaf pan, so it doesn’t burn. Once the lemon pound cake is baked, remove the pan from the oven and place onto the cooling rack for 10 minutes.
In the meanwhile prepare Lemon glaze for this deliciously smelling Lemon Pound Cake. In a small bowl combine sugar, lemon juice and milk and mix until smooth. If the glaze is too runny add more sugar and on the other hand if the lemon glaze is too sticky, add more lemon juice or milk.
Pour the lemon glaze or drizzle over the Lemon Pound Cake and let it stand for 5-10 minutes. You can decorate this Lemon Pound Cake with slices of fresh lemon or edible flowers for a perfect look. Now you can prepare a coffee and slice this beauty and taste it!
STORAGE OF LEMON CAKE
How to store lemon pound cake. If this amazing Lemon Pound Cake will survive the invasion of your family, you can store it in an airtight container. If you haven’t poured the glaze over yet, you may wrap it well in a plastic food foil. Lemon Pound cake well wrapped will stay safely in the refrigerator for up to one week. Or you can freeze it for up to 3 months, stored in an airtight container.
MORE DELICIOUS DESSERT RECIPES
- Key Lime Cheesecake Tart
- Mini Banana Cheesecakes
- Black Forest Cupcakes
- LEMON CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE CHIPS
- FRENCH STYLE LEMON TART
- THE BEST LEMON CHEESECAKE
VIDEO HOW TO MAKE LEMON POUND CAKE
LEMON POUND CAKE
- loaf pan 9×5 inch
- 1/2 cup (115 g) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (250 g) sugar
- 2 arge eggs
- 1 & 1/2 cup (200 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 medium lemons for zest
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) lemon juice
- 6 Tbsp (90 ml) milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups 200 g confectioner (icing) sugar
- 6 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F / 180 C & place rack in middle position. Butter and line with parchment paper loaf pan 9 × 5 inch.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter with sugar with electric mixer & add one egg at a time. Mix well to combine.
- In another medium bowl, add all-purposed flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt and zest of lemon. Stir and set this aside
- Use measuring cup to mix this following ingredients. Measure lemon juice, add milk and vanilla extract. Stir it all well, to combine. Add this lemon mixture into the butter batter by alternating with the flour mixture.
- Start first with one third of the dry mixture & mix to combine. Then add one third of the liquid mixture & mix to combine. Continue adding alternatively, until you use all the dry & liquid mixtures. Make sure you combine well all the ingredients. At the end, use spatula to scrape the bowl from sides.
- Pour the batter in prepared loaf pan and bake on 350 F / 180 C for 45 minutes. Once baked, remove from oven and place on cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine sugar, lemon juice and milk and mix with electric mixer or whisker until smooth.
- Pour the lemon glaze over the Lemon Pound Cake and let dry for 5-10 minutes. Cut in slices and serve immediately!
- You can add fresh fruit into the prepared lemon batter, such as blueberries or raspberries.
- Make a double batch and freeze one lemon pound cake in airtight container. It will last up to 3 months.
- To defrost it: leave it on the kitchen counter for 1-2 hours.