This easy Lemon Pound Cake with Lemon sauce drizzle is perfect for Sunday afternoon coffee. It is moist, zesty and simply delicious! And it includes step-by-step recipe video!
Lemon flavors are very popular in my family. We love this zing in our afternoon coffee cakes. This is why you find on my blog that many delicious tangy recipes like:
- GLAZED LEMON SCONES WITH POPPY SEEDS
- LEMON TART (TARTE AU CITRON)
- THE BEST LEMON CHEESECAKE
- DELICIOUS MINI LEMON TARTS
This versatile recipe for lemon pound cake, can be adjusted to your liking by changing the lemon for orange or any other citrus fruits. We mostly love lemon, because it has the best aroma and it adds the perfect acidity to this butter cake.
Did I say butter ? Yes I did, butter gives this creamy, moist texture to the cake, and I am using unsalted butter in this Lemon Pound Cake to bring the best out of this cake.
TIPS & TRICKS
The first to remember is to have all your ingredients at room temperature. Butter, eggs, milk are very important to keep in room temperature when preparing batter for cake. I usually leave my ingredients at least 2 hours before I will bake.
If you don’t have a butter, you can substitute with vegetable oil. The cake won’t be as moist, but still will be fluffy. In this case you would start to mix sugar with eggs until creamy consistency and then add the oil in lemon and milk mixture.
Zest of the lemon and fresh lemon juice is very important in this recipe, it brings all that zing and aroma of lemon and this is what makes this whole cake so citrus aromatics. If you don’t have fresh lemons you can still use lemon extract as a substitute for lemon zest and store bought lemon juice for fresh lemon juice. In this case, instead of lemon zest use 1 tsp of lemon extract. And for lemon juice you follow the recipe as directed, using store bought lemon juice. Same case for the glaze, use store bought lemon juice, the quantity doesn’t change, follow the recipe as directed.
This recipe for Lemon Pound Cakes takes 30 minutes to prepare and is fairly easy to make. Start preparing loaf pan 9 × 5 inch, butter and line with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 F / 180 C, place rack in middle position.
In a medium bowl start creaming the butter with sugar, then add eggs and mix to combine. Now you will need to prepare the dry ingredient’s mixture and liquid ingredient’s mixture. In the medium bowl, mix all-purposed flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt and zest of lemon. Set this aside.
Next prepare the liquid mixture from lemon juice, milk and vanilla extract. Stir it well to combine. Take back the creamy batter from sugar, butter and eggs and start adding alternatively the flour mixture and lemon-milk mixture. You don’t want to ditch it in at once, because all the flour would start to fly away. Start first with one third of the mixture and then add the liquid mixture. Continue adding alternatively until you use all the dry & liquid mixtures.
Pour the batter in prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes. Once baked, remove from oven and place on cooling rack for 10 minutes. In the meanwhile prepare Lemon glaze for this deliciously smelling Lemon Pound Cake.
In a small bowl combine sugar, lemon juice and milk and mix until smooth. If the glaze is too runny add more sugar, if on the other hand the lemon glaze is too sticky add more lemon juice or milk.
Pour the lemon glaze or drizzle (as you wish) over the Lemon Pound Cake and let it dry for 5-10 minutes. You can decorate this Lemon Pound Cake with slices of fresh lemon. Now you can prepare a coffee and slice this beauty and taste it!
If this amazing Lemon Pound Cake will survive the invasion of your family, you can store it in air-tight container or wrap it well in plastic food wrapper. You can keep Lemon Pound cake well wrapped in refrigerator up to one week. Or you can freeze it, well wrapped, up to 3 months.
Share with me your beautiful creations on INSTAGRAM @juliarecipes
LEMON POUND CAKE
Preparation time: 30 minutes ⭐ Baking time: 45 minutes⭐Servings: 6 – 8 slices
- 1/2 cup (115 g) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (250 g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 & 1/2 cup (200 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- zest from 3 medium lemons
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) lemon juice
- 6 Tbsp (90 ml) milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (200 g) confectioner (icing) sugar
- 6 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F / 180 C, place rack in middle position. Butter and line with parchment paper loaf pan 9 x 5 inch.
- In a medium bowl cream the butter with sugar with electric mixer, add one egg at a time and mix to combine.
- In another medium bowl add all-purposed flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt and zest of lemon. Stir and set this aside.
- In a measuring cup, measure 1/4 cup of lemon juice, add 6 Tbsp of milk and 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract. Stir well to combine.
- Into a butter batter add alternatively the flour mixture and lemon-milk mixture. Start first with one third of the dry mixture, mix to combine. Then add one third of the liquid mixture, mix to combine. Continue adding alternatively until you use all the dry & liquid mixtures. Make sure you combine well all the ingredients. Use spatula to scrape the bowl.
- Pour the batter in prepared loaf pan and bake on 350 F / 180 C for 45 minutes.
- Once baked, remove from oven and place on cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- In the meanwhile prepare Lemon Glaze. In a small bowl combine sugar, lemon juice and milk and mix with electric mixer or whisker until smooth.
- Pour the lemon glaze over the Lemon Pound Cake and let dry for 5-10 minutes. Cut in slices and serve immediately!
PIN IT FOR LATER!