This easily the best Lemon Pound Cake with Lemon sauce drizzle is perfect for Sunday afternoon coffee. It is moist, zesty and simply delicious! And it includes step-by-step recipe video!
Lemon flavors are very popular in my family. We love this zing in our afternoon coffee cakes. This is why you find on my blog that many delicious tangy recipes like:
- GLAZED LEMON SCONES WITH POPPY SEEDS
- LEMON TART (TARTE AU CITRON)
- THE BEST LEMON CHEESECAKE
- DELICIOUS MINI LEMON TARTS
This versatile recipe for lemon pound cake, can be adjusted to your liking by changing the lemon for orange or any other citrus fruits. We mostly love lemon, because it has the best aroma and it adds the perfect acidity to this butter cake.
Did I say butter ? Yes I did, butter gives this creamy, moist texture to the cake, and I am using unsalted butter in this Lemon Pound Cake to bring the best out of this cake.
TIPS & TRICKS
Ingredients always keep in room temperature
The first to remember is to have all your ingredients at room temperature. Butter, eggs, milk are very important to keep in room temperature when preparing batter for cake. I usually leave my ingredients at least 2 hours before I will bake.
If you don’t have a butter you can substitute with vegetable oil. The cake won’t be as moist, but still will be fluffy. In this case you would start to mix sugar with eggs until creamy consistency and then add the oil in lemon and milk mixture.
Zest of lemon
Zest of lemon and fresh lemon juice is very important in this recipe, it brings all that zing and aroma of lemon and this is what makes this whole cake so citrus aromatics. If you don’t have fresh lemons you can still use lemon extract as a substitute for lemon zest and store bought lemon juice for fresh lemon juice.
Substitutes for fresh lemon
In this case, instead of lemon zest use 1 tsp of lemon extract. And for lemon juice you follow the recipe as directed, using store bought lemon juice. Same case for the glaze, use store bought lemon juice, the quantity doesn’t change, follow the recipe as directed.
Quick coffee cake
This recipe for Lemon Pound Cakes takes 30 minutes to prepare and is fairly easy to make. Start preparing loaf pan 9 × 5 inch, butter and line with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 F / 180 C, place rack in middle position.
Cream the butter & prepare dry ingredients. In a medium bowl start creaming the butter with sugar, then add eggs and mix to combine. Now you will need to prepare the dry ingredient’s mixture and liquid ingredient’s mixture. In the medium bowl, mix all-purposed flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt and zest of lemon. Set this aside.
Prepare liquid ingredients. Next prepare the liquid mixture from lemon juice, milk and vanilla extract. Stir it well to combine. Take back the creamy batter from sugar, butter and eggs and start adding alternatively the flour mixture and lemon-milk mixture.
Alternate dry and liquid ingredients. You don’t want to ditch it in at once, because all the flour would start to fly away. Start first with one third of the mixture and then add the liquid mixture. Continue adding alternatively until you use all the dry & liquid mixtures.
Pour the batter in prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes. Once baked, remove from oven and place on cooling rack for 10 minutes. In the meanwhile prepare Lemon glaze for this deliciously smelling Lemon Pound Cake.
In a small bowl combine sugar, lemon juice and milk and mix until smooth. If the glaze is too runny add more sugar, if on the other hand the lemon glaze is too sticky add more lemon juice or milk.
Pour the lemon glaze or drizzle (as you wish) over the Lemon Pound Cake and let it dry for 5-10 minutes. You can decorate this Lemon Pound Cake with slices of fresh lemon. Now you can prepare a coffee and slice this beauty and taste it!
STORAGE OF LEMON CAKE
Storage. If this amazing Lemon Pound Cake will survive the invasion of your family, you can store it in air-tight container or wrap it well in plastic food wrapper. You can keep Lemon Pound cake well wrapped in refrigerator up to one week. Or you can freeze it, well wrapped, up to 3 months.
VIDEO HOW TO MAKE LEMON POUND CAKE
MORE DELICIOUS DESSERT RECIPES
LEMON POUND CAKE
- loaf pan 9×5 inch
- 1/2 cup (115 g) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (250 g) sugar
- 2 arge eggs
- 1 & 1/2 cup (200 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 medium lemons for zest
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) lemon juice
- 6 Tbsp (90 ml) milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups 200 g confectioner (icing) sugar
- 6 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F / 180 C & place rack in middle position. Butter and line with parchment paper loaf pan 9 × 5 inch.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter with sugar with electric mixer & add one egg at a time. Mix well to combine.
- In another medium bowl, add all-purposed flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt and zest of lemon. Stir and set this aside
- Use measuring cup to mix this following ingredients. Measure lemon juice, add milk and vanilla extract. Stir it all well, to combine. Add this lemon mixture into the butter batter by alternating with the flour mixture.
- Start first with one third of the dry mixture & mix to combine. Then add one third of the liquid mixture & mix to combine. Continue adding alternatively, until you use all the dry & liquid mixtures. Make sure you combine well all the ingredients. At the end, use spatula to scrape the bowl from sides.
- Pour the batter in prepared loaf pan and bake on 350 F / 180 C for 45 minutes. Once baked, remove from oven and place on cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine sugar, lemon juice and milk and mix with electric mixer or whisker until smooth.
- Pour the lemon glaze over the Lemon Pound Cake and let dry for 5-10 minutes. Cut in slices and serve immediately!
- You can add fresh fruit into the prepared lemon batter, such as blueberries or raspberries.
- Make a double batch and freeze one lemon pound cake in airtight container. It will last up to 3 months.
- To defrost it: leave it on the kitchen counter for 1-2 hours.