THAI SHRIMPS IN COCONUT CREAM
written by @juliarecipes
HOW I ACCIDENTALLY CAME TO THIS RECIPE
When I was making today my first batch of baked spirilized veggies, which btw came out so delicious, I had no idea, that I will end up with Thai coconut shrimps. And voila, the reason is, because I had these frozen shrimps in my freezer since Christmas and it needed to go.
USE INGREDIENTS YOU ALREADY HAVE AT HOME
So I am back from my spring break vacation and was a bit too lazy, to go to do grocery shopping or wait, no! I had a reason not to go to do grocery, because I have decided, that I will try to use everything we have at home, to save on my grocery bill this week. I mean, I need to use all my freezer stock ups, my pantry, you know…we buy stuff on special, because one day we might need it, well that day was today 🙂
And it came out quiet delicious! These coconut shrimps were done in 15 minutes and I didn’t even defrost them. I used frozen shrimps in the shell. I always use shrimps with shell (well almost always, especially this jumbo or larger scale ones). Why? Because the shell has a lot of power in words of flavor. You will get more shrimpy flavor from the shrimps which are shelled, already peeled shrimps won’t get you as much as flavor, as the one with the shell on.
USE COCONUT CREAM FOR THE CARAMELISATION
Simple garlic butter on a pan, toss your frozen or defrosted shrimps in it, cook on medium high for few minutes (for the frozen version ruffly 10-15 minutes cooking). Add 1 can of coconut cream (I used coconut cream, because it’s little sweeter, then coconut milk), let simmer on low heat, just few minutes, until the milk caramelize and thickens. Seasoned with pepper only, because my garlic butter was already salted and I added half of a teaspoon of curry for the spiciness & voila, there you have it! Simple, quick, delicious and my freezer is one bag of shrimps lighter!:-)
SIMPLE RECIPES ARE THE BEST
I love simple recipes, especially, when you are like, Oh no, not today, I don’t feel like spending hours in kitchen. This is exactly the recipe you need for lazy Sunday quicker up made lunch. And as for the side dish, my kids had fun spirilizing zucchinis, sweet potatoes and red beet root.
BAKED VEGGIES AS SIDE DISH
Baked spirilized vegetables. Yes baked are so much better and almost no supervision required. No pans, only baking sheet with parchment paper, toss all the veggies on the baking sheet, season with salt and pepper or your favorite veggie seasoning, drizzle of olive oil and bake for 15-20 minutes. For those, who likes more deeper and complex flavor can add crushed garlic or drop of sesame oil. Lovely, just lovely baked veggies!
THAI SHRIMPS IN COCONUT CREAM
Preparation time: 15 minutes ⭐ cooking time: 20-30 minutes⭐servings: 4 persons
- 1 pound of large shrimps
- 2 Tbsp garlic butter
- 1 can coconut cream (you can use coconut milk and add 1 tsp of sugar or honey)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 6 zucchinis (3 green & 3 yellow) spirilized
- 1 large sweet potato spirilized
- 1 large beet root spirilized (peeled skin)
- drizzle of olive oil
- salt & pepper
- cilantro leaves for garnish
- Start with preparing your vegetables. Wash and spirilize zucchinis & sweet potato with skin on. Beet root needs to be peeled and then spirlized. Wash your spirilizer right after using beet root, otherwise, it might stain your spirilizer.
- Preheat oven on 170 C/ 325 F. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper. Place all spirilized vegetable on the baking sheet, season with salt and pepper and drizzle over olive oil. If you want to spice bit up the flavor, evenly dispose crush garlic over the vegetables. Place in the oven and bake for about 15- 20 minutes, toss lightly with fork during halfway time of baking.
- In a large skillet, on medium high, melt the garlic butter and place shrimps with shell on the skillet.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes if frozen, if you are using fresh shrimps it will be done in 5-7 minutes. Flip the shrimps halfway time of cooking.
- Add coconut cream and add curry seasoning. Cover shrimps in coconut cream.
- Let it simmer for another 5 minutes, or until you see the color of coconut cream will slightly caramelize and reduce in quantity.
- You are ready to serve these delicious coconut shrimps. Place the baked vegetables on the plate, as well as the shrimps. Use remaining coconut sauce to drizzle the shrimps. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!