Hi, I am back and with me the promised recipe for my famous Honey cake🍰 I have been often said, that this is so far the best cake ever and it was said by the people, who doesn’t even have a sweet tooth at all☺. This cake is one of the cakes I make very often, because of it’s popularity among my family and friends 😉
I guess, it must be really, but really good. Because I used to make it only for Christmas, but lately I have been asked to prepare it also for Sunday afternoon coffee break. ☺Well now, I am going to share the recipe with you. Mostly to show you, how easy it is, to be made.
The preparation time is not so long as it might seem, but it’s a good idea to do some of the procedures in advance, so it would ease and shorten the time of preparation. As well as, this cake really needs a time to sit in a cold place for 24 hours, to allow all the flavors to come together. Trust me, it will be worth it!😉
How does it taste this kind of a cake? Of course you will have a honey taste at first, because we will use a lot of honey. This cake is so called “Honey” cake 😀So while you will be enjoying your first bite of this amazing honey cake, your taste buds will recognize thin layers of soft caramel cream, with bit of a crunch of walnuts and soft perfume of rum aroma. Tender honey flat cake layers will be melting in your mouth and you can’t wait to get another bite. This cake has it’s very own special aroma. It has it’s special ancient look and taste, as honey does 🍯.
Make sure you prepare your caramel sauce day before, because it is made out of condensed sweet milk, cooked in the water for 2 hours. The honey wafers might have been done a day before as well. It will ease the assemble of the cake. You will have to cool off the condensed milk, as well as the honey wafers before assembling the cake.
You can make round version of this honey cake or square version. For the long rectangular version, i would recommend double portion of ingredients. This recipe calls for round 9″ pan.
- 450 g / 3 cups all purpose flour
- 180 g / 1 cup sugar
- 180 g / 3/4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 6 Tsp honey🍯
- 4 Tsp heavy cream
- 1 Tsp cocoa powder
- 70 g ground walnuts
- 120 g / 1/2 cup soft butter
- 2 cans (300 ml /each) of sweetened condensed milk (caramelized 1 day before: cook in the can, immersed in water in saucepan for 2 hours or in pressure cooker for 1 hour).
- 2 1/2 Tsp sugar
- 50 ml water
- 150 ml of rum
Decorating cover for cake
- 50 g or the rest of the dough baked
- 30 g of ground walnuts
- Prepare bain-marie and in large bowl add butter, sugar, eggs, honey and cream.
- On low heat, beat all the ingredient with hand mixer, until you get smooth liquid cream ( for about 5 minutes). Mix first slow, gradually add on speed.
- In another large bowl, sift flour, baking soda and cocoa powder.
- Add warm cream into the dry ingredients and gently mix.
- Divide the dough into five equal pieces (approx. 190 g/each).
- Cover the dough with plastic food foil, so it doesn’t dry out. Let it stand for 5 minutes. (Leave the dough always covered with foil, if you don’t work with it)
- Preheat your oven on 180 C/ 356 F, rack on middle position.
- Get ready baking sheet, so your 9″ spring pan would fit in.
- Place a parchment paper on your working surface and place first piece of honey dough previously weighted.
- Roll out the dough flat approximately 2-3 mm thin and little larger then 9″ spring pan.
- Place now 9″ spring form on the dough and push it in the dough, it should cut out the circle and you basically just remove the rest of the dough. You can help yourself with pizza cutter to cut out perfect shape.
- Place the parchment paper with cut out 9″ circle dough on a baking sheet and bake for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown, don’t over bake! It should be soft on touch, not hard.
- Continue baking the other 4 cakes and bake as well all the rest of the dough, it will be needed for the decoration.(Just roll it out in any kind of shape 2-3mm thick as well).
- Cool the cakes on wired rack. Little hint: I usually bake the dough the night before assembling the cake, it is time saver. But 2 hours is enough for them to cool off.
- Cook the sweetened condensed milk one day before or in the morning so at the evening you can assemble the cake. Otherwise it takes at least 2-4 hours to cool down the cans.
- In a saucepan add water and 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk. Water needs to cover completely the cans. Cook on low heat for 2 hours, or in pressure cooker for 1 hour.
- Once cooking time is over, remove the saucepan from stove and place it under cold running water for few minutes. Let cool off for 2-4 hours. Never open, I repeat, don not open the can upon removing from hot saucepan, unless it’s cooled down for at least 2 hours. You could get injuries, as the hot content of can might spray over your hands and your face.
- Once the can is cooled down for at least 2 hours, you can carefully open and place it in standing mixer and mix until smooth. Add soft butter and ground walnuts. Divide the cream in 4 equal parts and 1 small to cover the cake from outside.
ASSEMBLING THE CAKE:
- Prepare the syrup made from rum, hot water and sugar. Hot water is needed for sugar to melt. We will be applying the syrup with syringe on both sides of the cakes, so the syringe will make the job of having it perfectly measures, 20 ml from each side. So total for one flat cake 40 ml.
- Make sure your cream is soft and smooth, otherwise stiff cream could remove a bit of the cake top, which would make it difficult to cover the cake. We want it the easy way ☺
- Spread a bit of a cream on your cake stander and place your first flat cake on it (remove parchment paper), so it holds well and won’t slide.
- With the syringe, spray the 20 ml of syrup onto the top of the flat cake. The first (bottom) flat cake will be sprayed with syrup only on the top. The rest of the flat cakes will be sprayed from both sides.
- Now take your first equal part of cream and place it gently onto moistened flat cake and gently spread the cream over it.
- Take second flat cake and spray 20 ml of syrup on bottom side and place the flat cake with bottom down onto the creamed flat cake.
- Apply another 20 ml on the second flat cake, this time top side and cover with equal part of cream.
- You continue until you assemble all 5 flat cakes.
- Cover now the whole cake with the 5th equal part of cream.
- For the decoration: in the mixer ground together the rest of the dough baked and walnuts and sift it all over the cake. Help yourself with large spatula to cover the sides.
And there you go, your cake is ready to rest in the cold place (refrigerator or in place where temperature won’t raise above 10 C) for good 24 hours or at least overnight. Believe me, longer you let it stand, then better. If you happen to have any leftovers, I guarantee you, that these will taste the best, because of the longer time sitting in the refrigerator.
You can freeze the cake for 3 months. To defrost, let stand in room temperature for 6-8 hours. This cake is very well preserved with honey, so don’t be worry about getting spoiled. It would be eaten before it would even get the chance to go bad.☺
Preparation and baking is about 85 minutes. Of course I do not count the caramelize of condensed milk.
You might as well make it in rectangular form, where you just double the recipe. And you will come out with 6 flat cakes of 35 x 22 cm (14″x 9″). Always think of the rest of the dough to bake it for the decoration. I usually make this rectangular version for Christmas and cut it into small pieces like this ones.
Enjoy your cake and until next time have a good one, Julia Recipes 😀