If you love chocolate babka, but don’t want to wait for the babka dough to rise and rest. Then this is the simplest way how to make it. I have used premade puff pastry and transform it into beautiful swirls filled with poppy seeds and chocolate.
I am loving to work with puff pastry, and I am using it very often in savoury and sweet baked versions.
More recipes using PUFF PASTRY
- THE BEST APPLE STRUDEL
- VALENTINE’S STRAWBERRY PUFF HEARTS
- PLUM GALETTE
- HALLOWEEN THEMED FINGER FOOD
- PARMESAN STICKS
“This post may contain affiliate links. Please see disclosure page for more information.”
I have created this Poppy seed & chocolate babka and I love serving it as Sunday afternoon treat with coffee. I love Sunday baking and let me tell you, sometimes there is not that much time, so I like to skip the proving dough or resting it. It is time-consuming, so I came with this easy variation of babka from premade puff pastry.
WHAT IS BABKA?
Babka is usually dense cake, made out of brioche dough or you might know it under sweet bread. It’s a sweet yeast dough filled with fudgy chocolate, cinnamon, jam, poppy seeds in layers, swirls and baked. You must have already spot it on Instagram as a piece of cake/bread with hundreds of beautiful swirls.
Where to get poppy seed filling
I am taking a little twist on this babka, and I am using puff pastry and filling it with what my grandma used to fill it with poppy seeds filling with raisins and candied oranges. Plus I added a bit of melted chocolate in the filling. I am using this filling Helio Masa Makowa Poppy Seed Filling Fried Fruits and Honey
Poppy seed filling can be prepared at home, but you will need this special poppy seed grinder.
Can I use different filling?
You can always just use Nutella as your filling or any kind of chocolate or fruity spread and it will give the right satisfaction.
How to fill and roll puff pastry babka?
Usually babka is baked in loaf pan, but because we are using puff pastry, we will bake it on s simple baking sheet covered with parchment paper. How to fill the babka with poppy seed filling is easy. You roll out the puff pastry in rectangular shape and with spatula spread it all over the dough.
Roll it lengthwise into a tight roll. Now it’s the part where the long swirls will show up. The long cylinder of dough must be cut in almost half along the middle of the long roll (leave a little end uncutted, it will be easier to braid). Then, the two sides needs to be twisted like a braid. At the end you brush it off with egg wash and bake it for 35- 45 minutes. And that’s it. You enjoy sweet puff pastry slices with poppy seeds and chocolate.
POPPY SEED & CHOCOLATE BABKA
- 1 pre-rolled puff pastry sheet 15" x 12" or 1 lb of homemade puff pastry
- 1 can poppy seed filling
- 1/2 cup melted milk or dark chocolate
- 1 small egg (for egg wash)
- Preheat oven to 350F / 177 C and cover baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the rack in middle position.
- Place the poppy seed mixture in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Melt milk (or dark ) chocolate in microwave and mix it with poppy seed mixture. (Melt the chocolate on power 70% for 1 minute.)
- On a clean surface, dust 1 tbsp of flour & roll out the puff pastry on of 15" x 12" rectangular shape. If you are using already pre- rolled sheet, just unroll it and spread the poppy seed mixture, leaving a 1/2 inch border uncovered. (If you have smaller size of puff pastry, use less filling.)
- Tightly roll the dough into a log. Place the log on its seam. Using a sharp knife, cut the log in half lengthwise, but do not cut completely through. Then, the two sides needs to be twisted like a braid. Try to lightly twist and bring on the top the cut edge, so it creates beautiful swirls.
- Brush off the babka with egg wash and bake it in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Let it cool down for 5-10 minutes and cut slices 1 inch wide. You can also sprinkle the babka with confectioner sugar if you wish!
- This puff pastry babka can be filled only with chocolate, Nutella or any other of your favourite spreads.
- The size of puff pastry doesn’t necessarily have to be exact as written in the recipe. This recipe is very versatile, so you can use any size of puff pastry, just adjust the filling accordingly.