It is getting chili outside and when it’s cold, we tempt to cook comforting meals. This time I decided to make roasted duck. In my family, it is one of the favorite meals, we are looking forward to sit down together for Sunday lunch, the whole house smells so good and of course we always fight for the crispy duck skin😄. It is a delish!! Some might think, that cooking duck takes a lot of time and it is hard to prepare. But believe me, it’s very easy and everybody can do it. It is as easy as cooking a chicken, but with slightly longer cooking time 2 – 2.5 hours.
There are only 4 main ingredients to be ised in this delicious recipe and it is fresh duck, salt, caraway seeds and red paprika in powder. You can also add allspice and bay leave for better taste. I use these spices almost in every recipe, it gives a great taste of home for me 😀 So you see, not so bad huh? No onions, no garlic, no special seasoning, trust me, it will be perfect!!👍
You will need big roasted pan with cover. I cook the duck always covered for first 1 hour and half, at least. That’s what will make your duck juicy and tender. Duck has a lot of fat and thick skin. It takes time, to let go the juices, that’s why the cooking time is slightly longer, yeah it needs a heat and sweat to get the fat out of that skin. Only for last 30 minutes of cooking, I uncover and sizzle that skin until nice brown and crispy. The skin won’t be as hard as french recipe for canard confit, no worries. It will be soft and juicy skin from inside and crispy from outside.
Roasted duck, yield 4-6 persons.
- 1 whole duck (2.5 kg or 5 pounds)
- caraway seeds
- red paprika in powder
- bay leave
- allspice 3-4 balls
- Preheat oven on 177C/350F, lowest rack.
- Clean the duck under running water and remove the insides (livers, stomach, neck), if included in your duck.
- Season with salt, pepper, caraway seeds, red paprika, inside out. And be generous, I put 2 Tbs of salt on the entire duck, it absorbs a lot of salt.
- Place the duck in big roasting pan, add bay leave and allspice and add 2 cups of water.
- Cover with the lid and bake for 1 hour & 30 minutes, take out from the oven and spoon the bird with the fat getting from the duck. If you have a lot of fat, you can take it away during the cooking and preserve it in a jar. It makes excellent substitute for butter or oil, try roasted potatoes in duck’s fat, very yummy.
- You cover for another 30 minutes and after 30 minutes of cooking, remove the lid and cook uncovered on 160 C/320 F or until the skin is golden brown and crispy.
- The cooking time may vary, because of a weight of your bird. For every additional 1 kg ( 2 pounds) of bird add 30 minutes of cooking.
- The meat will be tender and juicy, the skin will be crispy and flavorful.
RED CABBAGE preparation:
This red cabbage recipe is very easy and very tasty. If you have never tried to cook red cabbage, you should try it. It is excellent source of vitamins and it is very tasty. It is sweet & salty and it’s a perfect marriage to the roasted duck.
- 1 red cabbage
- 1 medium onion
- 3 slices of bacon cut in small pieces
- caraway seeds
- 2 Tbs fat from duck
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 1/2 cup of water
- Wash cabbage and remove few leaves before cutting.
- Cut in half and remove hard stem and cut in very thin slices.
- In a large pot, start to cook sliced bacon and onion, until onion goldens. You won’t need oil, because bacon will release enough fat.
- Add red cabbage, season with salt, pepper and caraway seeds.
- Stir and add 1/2 cup of water, stir again and let simmer covered for 20 minutes or until soft.
- Once cabbage is soft, add sugar and duck’t fat, stir and serve.
POTATO DUMPLINGS preparation
One of the best and dairy/egg free, potato dumpling recipe. So easy, that everybody can do it and you will love it, your kids will love it, your whole family will go crazy after these dumplings. It is fluffy soft dumplings, you can use it as a side dish for any kind of meat dish. My kids loves it so much, they dip it as bread in sauces, soups.
- 1 kg/ 2 pounds of potatoes
- 500 g / 2 cups semolina flour
- 2 Tbs vegetable oil
- In a large pot, boil potatoes in their own skin, for 40-45 minutes.
- Place potatoes in large bowl and let cool down.
- Remove skin and grate the potatoes on large grater.
- Add 5 Tbs of vegetable oil and semolina flour, work it with your hands.
- Create 2 small loafs, cover well in plastic wrap and boil in water for 20 minutes.
- Remove from boiling water, let cool and cut on small pieces.
Enjoy your roasted duck with potato dumplings and red cabbage!😍