CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD WITH PEARS
written by @juliarecipes
“This post may contain affiliate links. Please see disclosure page for more information.”
You must be going crazy just by pronouncing the title of this recipe hihihi, this chocolate banana bread is going to be one heavy chocolate bomb. Oh yes, it’s a chocolate banana bread, but I am not going that crazy on chocolate, even though I am using this amazing Hershey milk chocolate chips. It is one of the banana breads, which is moist, chocolaty, no aftertaste of over ripped bananas. Just moist and fluffy at the same time with little bites of pear and chocolate chips.
So imagine having all your favorite things in this banana bread and you just add small cubes of pears, little swirl of almond butter or peanut butter and there it goes your little chocolate banana bread heaven. I know some of you might suggest little scoop of vanilla ice cream on the top, then this recipe is changing from food heaven to food porn hahaha. I am sure you definitely agree with me.
This recipe is fairly easy, that you can all prepare in hand, no mixer needed. You will need large bowl, whisk, spatula and baking loaf pan. I usually start preparing my wet ingredients first and then the dry one. Once all the ingredients are on the place, I reheat the oven and cut my parchment paper. Cut two pieces of parchment paper to cover the pan from both sides. One stripe of parchment paper should be large and wide, the other one long and narrow, make sure they are long enough, so once the loaf is ready to take out from the pan, you can easily grab the parchment paper with your hands.
Can you freeze bananas?
Of course you can, I freeze them all the time. Once they start to have little dots on the skin I remove the skin and cut them in small circles and place it in the Ziploc and freeze it. When I need them, I just take them out the morning I am planning to do banana bread and place them on the kitchen counter in the Ziploc. Don’t forget to label it “FOR BANANA BREAD”. I have to label it, because I am using also bananas for “nice cream” . Yes bananas are also the main ingredient for nice cream and you should use always yellow bananas for nice cream…ok yes so this is why need to label 🙂 It Freezes up to 3 months max.
In this banana recipe I use walnuts, but if you don’t like walnuts, you can go for any other kind of nuts or if you are allergic to nuts, don’t use any. Your banana bread will be as much delicious with all the chocolate and pears. I also did this time little touch up on the top of the banana bread and that’s a little swirl with peanut butter, you can always opt for organic almond butter or organic cashew butter, or white chocolate yum!
CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD with PEARS
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes⭐cooking time: 1 hour & 15 minutes⭐ servings: 10 slices
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup golden/brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream or yoghurt
- zest from one lemon
- 3 medium ripe bananas mashed + 1 banana for the decoration
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup organic cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts + for garnish
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 2 canned pears cut in cubes
For the peanut butter drizzle:
- 1 Tbsp of organic peanut butter (heat for 30 seconds in microwave)
- Preheat the oven on 170 C /350 F
- Butter and dust with flour 1 loaf pan 9″ or cut out 2 pieces of parchment paper and place it in the loaf pan.
- In a large bowl mix the brown sugar with butter for 5 minutes at medium speed, or until white and fluffy.
- Add egg and egg whites, vanilla and mix until well blended.
- Add sour cream ( or yogurt ), zest from one lemon and mashed bananas.
- In another bowl mix flour with baking powder, salt, nuts, chocolate chips.
- Slowly incorporate the flour mix into the wet batter and add chopped canned pears. (You can use mixer or just wooden spatula).
- Pour the batter slowly into loaf pan lined with parchment paper, top with cut bananas (in circle), add chocolate chips and few walnuts and drizzle with peanut butter.
- Bake on the middle rack 350 F for about 60 minutes, then insert the toothpick to make sure, it doesn’t stick. If it still stick bake for another 15 minutes, but cover it with parchment paper, so it doesn’t burn the top.
- Take it out of the oven and let cool down on wired rack for 20 minutes.
- Cut in slices and serve (with vanilla ice cream) YUM!!