THANKSGIVING PUMPKIN BUNDT CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE GLAZE
Thanksgiving is around the corner and I wanted to go with something different then classic pumpkin pie. But still something simple for busy moms. So I came up with pumpkin bundt cake, covered in cream cheese glaze in lemon flavor. And it is of course a yumminess, just look at the pictures!
“This post may contain affiliate links. Please see disclosure page for more information.”
I still keep the classic Thanksgiving theme “everything pumpkin” for the dessert and it’s different then any other Thanksgiving classic. You can’t go wrong with the simple and delicious recipe like this one. You can bake the bundt cake one day in advance, so you don’t have to worry about the space in your oven, when the bird will occupy your whole kitchen 🙂
This bundt cake is very moist and fluffy, plus with the lemon cream cheese glaze it’s a match in heaven. And because I like the contrast in between the orange and white color, I have decided to make this bundt cake in two colors. White and orange. The orange stands out so well on the white and it makes it more interesting cake, then ever. You can definitely adjust the recipe and make your bundt cake in one orange color. But in this case the orange color will be little bit less pronounced.
If you really want to get a beautiful orange color (in case you decided to make it uni-color), you can always use few drops of natural food coloring to spice it up. I would not recommend to use more pumpkin puree to achieve better orange color, because it will make your cake more heavier, dense and it won’t bake properly. That is why I am proposing to use natural food coloring.
This recipe for Pumpkin bundt cake is adapted for classic 9″ bundt cake pan and it holds up to 6 cups of bundt cake mixture.
Always start your baking with clean space on your kitchen counter and your ingredients on hand. Measure dry ingredients first and place them together in medium bowl, whisk and set aside. Prepare the bundt cake pan with baking spray (containing flour). If you don’t have this one, you can use cooking spray, brush it all over the bundt cake pan, then dust it lightly with flour.
To make your bundt cake fluffy, you must start to whisk (with whisk attachment) egg yolks with sugar. I recommend stand mixer, we will be mixing a lot. Separate the yolks from whites and reserve egg whites in a medium bowl, set aside. Whisk egg yolks with sugar until fluffy, about 5 – 8 minutes. The mixture must be white-ish and fluffy (as we are using brown sugar, the mixture will be slightly beige). Slowly start adding vanilla extract and heavy cream, until well combined. The mixture will be very liquid, so whisking it on medium slow, even just slow, is strongly recommended.
Add flour mixture spoon by spoon. Once your batter is well combined. Take the egg whites in medium bowl and whisk them until stiff peaks. With spatula, slowly incorporate egg whites into the batter. Separate the batter in half and half. Use the previous medium bowl, where you whisked the egg whites. First half of the mixture will stay white, so you can already pour it inside the bundt cake pan. The second one will be orange, because of the pumpkin puree. Add to the second mixture 5 tbsp of pumpkin puree and lightly incorporate with spatula.
If you would like to add some food coloring, now it’s the time. Add few drops and lightly incorporate the food coloring into the batter. Pour the batter over the white mixture and bake in preheated oven, 170 C/ 350 F for about 45 – 50 minutes. Insert a toothpick at the end of the baking, to make sure, the batter is well baked. Your toothpick should come out clean. Than means the batter is baked.
THANKSGIVING PUMPKIN BUNDT CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE GLAZE
Preparation time: 20 minutes ⭐cooking time: 45-50 minutes⭐ servings: 12 slices
for bundt cake
- 4 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs (separated egg yolks from egg whites)
- 1 & 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 & 1/2 cup of heavy cream 35%
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp pumpkin puree
for lemon cream cheese glaze
- 1 pkg cream cheese (1 cup)
- 5 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup confectioner sugar
- zest from one small lemon
- Preheat your oven on 170 C/ 350 F and position the rack in the middle of the oven.
- Spray your bundt cake with cooking spray and dust with flour or use Wilton cake release pan non-stick coating.
- In medium bowl, combine dry ingredients : flour, baking powder, salt and set aside.
- In another medium bowl of stand mixer, separate the egg yolks from egg whites and whisk (with whisk attachment) the egg yolks with brown sugar on high speed for 5 – 8 minutes. Reserve egg whites for later.
- Into the egg mixture, add vanilla extract and on slow speed add spoon by spoon heavy cream.
- Change your attachment to paddle. And add the dry ingredients spoon by spoon into the mixture and continue mixing on medium low speed, until well combined.
- Take the reserved egg whites and whisk them in another medium bowl, until stiff peaks. With spatula slowly incorporate egg whites in the batter.
- Separate the batter in half and half. Use the previous medium bowl, where you whisked the egg whites.
- First half of the batter will stay white, so you can already pour it inside the bundt cake pan.
- Add to the second batter 5 tbsp of pumpkin puree and lightly incorporate with spatula. Add some orange food coloring, if desired. Add few drops and lightly incorporate the food coloring into the batter.
- Pour the batter over the white mixture and bake in preheated oven, 170 C/ 350 F for about 45 – 50 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick at the end of the baking, to make sure, the batter is well baked. Remove the bundt cake pan from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes
- Invert the cake into the cooling rack and glaze it with lemon cream cheese glaze.
- For the glaze: In a medium bowl, mix room temperature cream cheese with sugar and until smooth (you can also use processor or blender to achieve smooth consistency of the glaze). Add slowly lemon juice and zest from one lemon and cover the bundt cake with the glaze. You can serve immediately or reserve it in refrigerator. Take it out of the refrigerator at least 10-15 minutes prior serving.
Pin it for later!