Rich, smooth, bursting with flavor from the homemade pumpkin spice, is this best pumpkin pie recipe ever. With little addition of special ingredients and adjustment of my favourite flavors, this become my favourite desert for Thanksgiving or any other holiday.
I need to confess here. I have never been a huge fan of pumpkin pie, until now. It is not easy to please everybody’s taste buds. Nor it’s easier to please your own. We all have different preferences and there are numerous recipes for pumpkin pie on the internet, so which one to choose and which one will you really like.
So I will try to describe the flavours and consistency of this pumpkin pie and why do i call it the best pumpkin pie ever!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see disclosure page for more information.”
If you scroll down the recipe, you will notice, that I am using sweet condensed milk and sweetened coconut cream. Why not using the sugar? Condensed milk will bring smoothness into the texture of pumpkin filling and at the same time it will sweeten our pie. Why then the sweetened coconut cream? Simply to give a little coconut flavour and also coconut cream is little less sweet than regular condensed milk.
I have also opted for caramelisation of those two sweetened milks. And that is simply to make the texture thicker without any cornstarch or other thickeners. As well as caramelized sweet milk sound and is much better in pumpkin pie. So another extra flavour added.
Pumpkin purée, fresh pumpkin or pumpkin pie filling?
My preferences are between pumpkin purée and pumpkin pie filling. I do not use fresh pumpkin in desserts, rather keep them for savory dishes, like soups. For pumpkin pie filling It all depends on what brand you will use for pumpkin pie filling. Some brands will add plenty of sugar and spices in pumpkin pie filling, so then I would opt for 100% pure pumpkin puree, because you can dose your own spice and sweetness. For this recipe I am using classic 100% pure pumpkin purée.
- caramelized sweetened coconut and condensed milk
- dark rum
Those two ingredients will turn your pumpkin pie into the most delicious pumpkin pie, you have ever eaten. And with a dollop of whipped cream and little dash of fresh nutmeg or cinnamon, will change your Thanksgiving into the most festive season ever.
I always start my recipes with all ingredients on the counter, this way I know if I am missing on something, don’t need to send my hubby at the neighbours to borrow two eggs. Preheat your oven to 220 C / 425 F. Place the rack in middle position. Because I am caramelizing the condensed milks, it will need some time to cool down, so it would the first thing, we would start with.
In a small pan, pour both sweetened milks and bring it to a boil. Constantly whisk, so the bottom doesn’t burn. Reduce the heat on low medium a let simmer, while whisking gently for about 20 minutes or until the sweetened milk will caramelize. It needs to change colour from yelowish-whitish to light golden brown. It might take about 15- 20 minutes. Once it turns light brown, remove it from the heat and lightly whisk the caramelized mixture, until it cools down a bit, for about 1 minute.
In a large bowl, whisk in the caramelized mixture and add pumpkin purée. Combine those two together and add all the spices, vanilla extract, rum, heavy cream. Whisk until thoroughly combined. If your mixture now should cool down to room temperature. If so you can add the egg yolks and egg. If your mixture is still warm, whisk it until it reaches room temperature. Do not add eggs into the warm mixture, because it could cook inside and your pumpkin pie would get ruined. Plenty of egg lumps would be floating in your dessert.
Once the filling is ready, we can pass to the pie crust. You can get either a pie crust already pre-rolled or in the pie plate. If you have a pie crust in a plate, just pour the pie filling in and tap on the work surface to release any air bubbles.
If you have your own pie dough, then on a clean floured surface, roll the pie dough and place it in the 9″ pie plate. Trim off the excess of pie dough. From the leftover pie dough, we will make braids. Roll out 15″ long pie dough and cut 6 equal strips. We will make two braids, each will need 3 strips. Take and pinch three tops together and begin braiding. Make two braids and let them aside. Now pour the pumpkin filling in the pie crust and place the 2 braids around the pie plate and brush them lightly with egg wash.
Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 170 C / 350 F and bake until just set in the middle, about 40 – 45 minutes. Check for doneness with pairing knife inserted into the filling. It should come out clean. If the edges will start browning early, you can cover it with a piece of parchment paper. Just cut out a hole in the middle so the vapour can escape. Otherwise, it would create a condensation and the middle of the pie would be wet. Allow cooling completely before serving. Serve with dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon of freshly grated nutmeg.
How to avoid cracking in the pie
The ratio of egg yolks and eggs, together with heavy cream will assure no cracks will appear. Also, the baking time is important and the pairing knife test as well. At end of the baking, the centre of the pumpkin pie will be slightly wobbly. Thant is perfectly fine. It will set as it cools. But be careful not to overcook. Overcooking might cause the filling to crack.
THE BEST PUMPKIN PIE
Preparation time: 15 minutes ⭐cook time: 45-50 minutes⭐ servings: 8 slices
- 1 can of pumpkin purée
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can sweetened coconut cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp rum
- 5 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 9″ unbaked pie crust
- Egg wash: 1 medium egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 220 C / 425 F. Place the rack in middle position.
- Pour both, sweetened milk & coconut cream in a small non-stick pan and simmer until caramelized, whisking constantly. The colour needs to turn to very light brown.
- Cool down the caramelizes milk, while whisking, for about 1 minute.
- In a large bowl whisk pumpkin purée with caramelized milk, cinnamon, ginger, salt, nutmeg, heavy cream, vanilla extract and rum.
- Once the mixture will be in room temperature add egg yolks and egg and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- On a clean floured surface, roll the pie crust and place it in the 9″ pie plate.
- Trim off the edges and from the leftover pie dough, cut 6 equal strips. Pinch three tops together and begin braiding. Make two braids. Let aside.
- Pour filling into the pie shell and lightly tap on the work surface to release any air bubbles.
- Place the 2 braids around the pie plate and brush them lightly with egg wash.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 170 C / 350 F and bake until just set in the middle, about 40 – 45 minutes. Check for doneness with pairing knife inserted into the filling. It should come out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before serving. Serve with dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon of freshly grated nutmeg.
Pin it for later!