I guess with the age your taste buds are more sensitive/distinctive or on the other side more open minded to try new things 😀. Well however it is with you, for me, it is certainly more mind opened and even eager to try new tastes from all over the world!
I first tasted fresh figs in Greece and let me tell you, that fresh figs straight from the tree are so amazing and delicious!! Firm from outside and soft, juicy & sweet from inside. At that time I loved their sweetness and easy access on the trees, while walking down the beach. Now, I start to experiment with figs. As I get older, my taste buds do as well and as I am so in love with goat cheese, I had to try to pare these two ingredients together. The result of this paring is sweetness, cheesiness and crunchiness in your mouth😀😍. You will love it!
You will need only 5 ingredients for this easy and amazing recipe… ( and I do not count bread or salt & pepper 😂). Figs (of course), goat cheese, honey, walnuts, stash of mini basil or sage. Preparation time is like: you turn around the kitchen and it’s done. So if you are thinking what fast can I prepare as an appetizer for my invitees, this is a pretty good shot. You will bake it for about 5-10 minutes and you serve it immediately. It won’t be hot, only slightly warm.
- 10 figs
- 200 g / 1/2 cup goat cheese
- 10-15 walnuts
- stash of mini basil or sage
- Wash and dry the figs.
- Cut an X in figs, but go only until three quarters. Before doing so, remove the stem by cutting with knife (it’s better if you do so, because the stem might be hard and you can cut nice X exactly in the middle of the fig).
- Fill each fig with 1 spoon of goat cheese or as much as you like. Do so gently, because overripe figs tend to tear apart.
- Drizzle with honey, add salt, if goat cheese is not enough salty and pepper.
- At the end add few mini leaves from basil and add some crushed walnuts.
- Bake in ceramic dish in preheated oven on 350F/177 C for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve warm with pieces of bread (baguette).
Hm, after few minutes in the oven, it will start to smell so good in your kitchen, all the invites will be looking for the source of this sweet odor.
Let me know how it went, I would love to hear a feedback from you! Bon Appetit!