This delicate and soft blueberry Swiss rolls recipe is perfect for a Sunday afternoon coffee break. It’s a very simple recipe, done in only 1 hour.
How to make Swiss rolls
My mom used to make this jelly roll as the fastest dessert, when we had uninvited guests or just a quick dessert for Sunday afternoon. And this simple jelly roll always tasted so heavenly, soft and special. I believe, that all childhood memories are already very special to us, especially when it comes to food. That smell or texture of certain food, what you ate in childhood, will bring you, in no time, into the comfort zone and this is why I love this jelly roll this much.
This jelly roll can be made with different fillings. You don’t need to be stuck with blueberry jam. You can use whipped cream, custard cream, butter cream or even ice cream. I think a dark chocolate roll with white chocolate whipped cream would be an amazing alternative for this blueberry filling, right ? Mmm yes, next time the roll will be all about chocolate.
As I mentioned before, this is a very simple dessert, so you will need the basic baking tools such as large mixing bowl, standing mixer would be optional (you can use hand mixer), baking sheet and parchment paper.
As ingredients, we go with basics as well: flour, eggs, sugar, lemon zest and your favorite flavor of jelly. We will start with preheating the oven to 200 C / 400 F and line parchment paper on baking sheet. In a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks with vanilla sugar until creamy (for 5 minutes), stir in lemon zest and half of the sifted flour.In another bowl, place the egg whites, granulated sugar, pinch of salt and beat until it forms soft peaks. Add remaining flour.
Fold one-third of the egg-white mixture in the yolk mixture and
gently mixing them together. Then add this mixture to the remaining egg whites and fold together gently, not to lose any air. Spread the batter on a baking sheet, has to be 1 cm high. Bake for 12-15 min. or until golden light. Let cool for 5 min., then spread the jam evenly over the cake and gently (with light pressure) roll it. Trim the ends, dust with ice sugar, cut in a piece and serve.
More sweet recipes
- THE BEST APPLE STRUDEL
- PLUM GALETTE with almond filling
- How to make Delicious Mini Lemon Tarts
- CLASSIC BROWNIES RECIPE
- MINI BROWNIES CUPCAKES
BLUEBERRY SWISS ROLLS RECIPE
- 13 &½ tablespoon all-purpose flour sifted
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 1 medium lemon for the zest
- 3 large egg whites
- 6 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons confectioner sugar for dusting
- 1 cup blueberry jelly
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F and line parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- In a stand mixer with large bowl, beat the egg yolks with vanilla sugar until white and creamy (for about5 minutes). Add in lemon zest and half of the sifted flour. Fold it in with spatula.
- In another large bowl, place the egg whites, granulated sugar and pinch of salt. Beat with hand mixer until soft peaks are formed.
- Fold in remaining sifted flour. Fold one-third of the egg-white mixture in the yolk mixture and gently fold together, not to add up too much air.
- Fold in the remaining egg whites and mix together gently.
- Pour the batter on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. The batter has to be 1 cm high. Bake for 12-15 min. or until golden color.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the roll cool for 5 min. Spread the blueberry jelly evenly over the flat sponge cake and gently (with light pressure) roll it.
- Trim the ends, dust with confectionery sugar and cut in slices 1 inch large. Serve with whipped cream or fresh fruit.