Mac and cheese reinvented! I love bacon, well who doesn’t, right?! Ok, yes you are right, it has nothing to do with mac & cheese, but now it actually will ☺ I think you are already sensing where am I going with this and plus you couldn’t miss the bacon in the picture! Yes, my version with macaroni and cheese definitely contains BACON!!!!! “Contains”, ughhh, it sounds like, kind of something not good or even almost poisoness is containing this recipe….hahaha!!! Trust me, bacon is good. Bacon is actually healthy for you, but in moderate consummation and in this recipes you can use moderate amount of bacon. You either add or reduce the amount, depending on your diet. In this recipe, I am using frozen green peas, to add a bit of vegetable to the diet, so you don’t feel as guilty!
Mac and cheese is one of the easiest and most yummiest dishes ever. It is not only popular for kids, it often finds a big popularity even among us, the adults!
So let’s do the Mac&cheese reinvented by Julia Recipes😀
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 5 cups macaroni or other pasta
- Dash pepper
- 4 cups warm milk
- 4 ½ cups mixed cheese (mozzarella, cheddar, romano, parmesan), shredded
- 1 ½ cup bacon
- 1 small onion
- 2 cups of frozen green peas
- Cook macaroni in a large pot according to package directions. 4 litres of water.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook the bacon, chop the onion and add it to the bacon.
- Remove excess fat from bacon and add butter over medium heat.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in warm milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened.
- Stir in cheese until melted.
- Drain macaroni; add to cheese sauce and stir to coat.
- Add 2 cups of green peas and let simmer for 2-3 min.
- If desired, sprinkle with paprika.
And enjoy your meal or Bon Appetit from Julia Recipes!