Apple smoked pork ribs are one of our favourite pork ribs recipes. This baked pork ribs have smokey flavor with caramelized apples and homemade BBQ sauce. This is the classic we always make for Father’s Day.
“This post may contain affiliate links. Please see disclosure page for more information.”
BEST apple smoked pork ribs for Father’s Day
We have a Father’s Day around the corner, so I would love share with you this new recipe. My family loves pork ribs and so when I came up with the idea of baking apple pork ribs with hickory liquid smoke, everybody was in. My son even called me, his favourite chef right after tasting these pork ribs. If you are looking for tasty pork ribs and you want to elevate a bit the flavours, then this apple smoked pork ribs are exactly what you are looking for.
KEY INGREDIENTS FOR APPLE SMOKED PORK RIBS
- Liquid smoke
- BBQ sauce
Seasoning is very simple, yet powerful ! You can use grocery store BBQ seasoning, but I always use my own homemade seasoning. Usually BBQ seasoning contain lots of sugar, unflavoured dry mustard or salty dry garlic powder. I prefer using fresh minced garlic to get the best flavors possible. And there is enough sugar in the BBQ sauce already, so no need the sugar in the seasoning. My seasoning contains only salt, pepper, sweet paprika and then I rub minced garlic in the ribs. If you like spicy, use 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper.
For smokey flavor, I use Hickory smoke in liquid. I always find the liquid smoke in my grocery store. But there is always online store, where you can find liquid smoke. My favourites are Hickory smoked liquid or Mesquite smoked liquid. I do not find a big difference in between those two liquid smokes, but the Mesquite might have lighter flavor and more natural smoky flavor, then the famous Hickory.
Garlic is a flavour powerhouse. It adds nutritional punch and adds wonderful flavour to this smokey baby back ribs recipe.
I love pork ribs with my own BBQ sauce full of smokey flavour, slightly garlicky and tangy with ketchup aroma. You can buy already made BBQ sauce, but best is to make your own. And making your own BBQ sauce is so simple. Few ingredients combined and delicious BBQ sauce is ready.
How to remove the membrane FROM PORK RIBS
I always remove the white membrane on the back of the ribs. It makes the ribs much more tender and the unpleasant chewy part won’t be bothering you. To remove the membrane, take a knife and slide under the membrane, cut it along the edge of the ribs. Then with your hand pull it away from the bones. Use paper towel to hold the membrane, if it’s slippery.
How to make apple smoked pork ribs
Oven method finish
This recipe is adapted for oven method with quick finish on the BBQ; which is optional. Few ingredients needed and little prep time, then baking will take up to 2 hours (depending on the size of your ribs).
You will need for this apple smoked pork ribs recipe; baking sheet and few sheets of aluminum paper. Once you removed the membrane, season the ribs and place them on baking sheet lined with aluminum paper. The aluminum paper has to be big enough to wrap the ribs in.
Place cored and cut apples all over the ribs and pour over mixture of lemon juice and liquid smoke. Cover the ribs with aluminum paper well from all sides, that no steam can escape. And all the flavors stays nicely locked inside.
Place the baking sheet with ribs in the oven (middle rack) and bake it for 2 hours. In the meanwhile you can prepare homemade BBQ sauce. Remove baking sheet with ribs from the oven and place it on the wooden board. Open the aluminum wrap and remove baked apples, set them aside on a plate. Brush the ribs with 3/4 of BBQ sauce.
Set your BBQ on high and place the ribs on BBQ rack for 5 minutes from each side. Once the ribs will get nice char colour from the fire, remove it from the BBQ. Place it on the serving plate or board and brush it with remaining BBQ sauce and serve with your favourite sides. We love mashed potatoes or homemade no kneed bread.
APPLE SMOKED PORK RIBS
- baking sheet
- aluminum paper
For the ribs:
- 3-4 pounds ( 1.5 kg )baby back pork ribs
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 large cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons hickory liquid smoke
- 2 small lemons
- 2 large apples (McIntosh) cored and cut in slices
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
For the smokey BBQ sauce:
- 1 cube chicken bouillon example Knorr
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hickory liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Clean, wash the baby back ribs and dry with paper towel. Remove the white membrane from the back of the ribs with a knife. Use butter knife and paper towel; membrane might be slipping through the fingers
- Preheat oven to 350 F / 180 C. Place aluminum sheets (big enough to cover the ribs from bottom, top and sides) on baking sheet. Season the ribs with salt, pepper, sweet paprika and rub minced garlic in the ribs.
- Squeeze the lemons in a small bowl and add liquid smoke. Pour it all over the seasoned ribs. Place the cored and sliced apples all around the ribs. Cover the ribs with aluminum paper from all sides, that no steam can escape.
- Place the baking sheet with ribs in the oven (middle rack) and bake it for 2 hours to 2,5 hours. Check after 2 hours, if meat starts to fall from bone, it's done.
- Open the aluminum paper and remove apples on a plate, set aside. Brush the ribs with the 3/4 smokey BBQ sauce. The remaining sauce will be used for the last brush before serving. And set your BBQ on high heat. Place the ribs on BBQ grill for 5 minutes from each side.
- Once the ribs will get nice grill marks from the fire, remove it from BBQ and place it on the serving plate or wooden board. Brush them with the remaining smokey BBQ sauce.
- Reheat in microwave the baked apples and place them on the top of the ribs. Serve the ribs with your favourite side dish. We love mashed potatoes or good piece of homemade bread.
For the smokey BBQ sauce
- Place the chicken bouillon cube in medium bowl and pour over hot water. Mash it with fork to combine well with the water. Add all the other ingredients for BBQ sauce, stir with wooden spatula and brush over the Baby Back Pork Ribs.
Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.”