These savoury homemade cheesy puff pastry breadsticks are a delightful and effortless appetizer or snack. It combines the buttery flakiness of store-bought puff pastry with the irresistible allure of gooey melted cheese. These golden, twisty delights are seasoned with a hint of garlic and sea salt, making them a crowd-pleaser at any gathering. Whether you’re entertaining guests or simply indulging yourself, this quick and easy recipe is sure to satisfy your cravings for cheesy, savoury goodness.
Why you’ll love this easy cheesy breadsticks recipe
This recipe is incredibly simple and doesn’t require much time or effort. It’s perfect for those moments when you want a tasty snack or appetizer without spending hours in the kitchen. The combination of flaky puff pastry, melty cheese, and savoury seasonings creates a flavour explosion that’s hard to resist. It’s a great way to satisfy your craving for cheesy, savoury snacks.
If you have friends or family over, these cheesy breadsticks are an excellent way to impress your guests without the need for extensive cooking skills. They look and taste fantastic. You can customize this recipe by adding your favourite seasonings, herbs, or even different types of cheese to suit your taste. With just a few simple ingredients, this recipe won’t break the bank, making it a cost-effective choice for satisfying your cheesy cravings.
Store-Bought Puff Pastry: It provides the flaky, buttery layers that make these homemade breadsticks so delightful. Puff pastry is essentially layers of dough and butter that puff up during baking, creating a crispy, airy texture.
Grated Parmesan Cheese: Parmesan cheese adds a salty and nutty flavour to the breadsticks. It contributes to the cheesy richness and provides a slightly sharper taste compared to mozzarella.
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese: Mozzarella cheese is the main source of creaminess and cheesy flavour. When it melts during baking, it becomes gooey and creates that delicious, cheesy pull when you break a breadstick.
Unsalted Butter: Butter is brushed on the puff pastry strips before adding the cheese and seasonings. It not only enhances the flavour but also helps the breadsticks achieve a beautiful golden colour during baking.
Garlic Powder & caraway seeds: Garlic powder infuses the breadsticks with a subtle garlic flavour. And caraway seeds add extra earthy flavour.
How to make cheesy breadstick with puff pastry
Step 1 – Preheat the oven
Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease it to prevent sticking.
Step 2 – Prepare the puff pastry
Unfold the thawed puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll it out slightly to smooth and enlarge it if necessary. Cut it into strips, about 1 inch wide, or your desired size for the breadsticks.
Step 3 – Cheese filling
In a small bowl, mix together the shredded mozzarella and grated Parmesan cheese.
Step 4 – Assemble the breadsticks
Take each strip of puff pastry and brush it with melted butter. Sprinkle a generous amount of the cheese mixture over the buttered strip. You can also add a pinch of garlic powder & coarse salt.
Step 5 – Twist and place on baking sheet
Gently twist each strip to create a spiral effect. Place the twisted breadsticks on the prepared baking sheet, leaving a little space between each one.
Step 6 – Bake & serve
Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for about 12–15 minutes, or until the breadsticks are golden brown and puffed up. Remove the cheesy breadsticks from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping, if desired.
- Bacon and Cheddar Twist: Replace the mozzarella and Parmesan with cheddar cheese. Add cooked and crumbled bacon pieces to the cheese filling. Sprinkle some finely chopped green onions on top for extra flavour.
- Spinach and feta twists: Mix chopped spinach and crumbled feta cheese into the mozzarella. Add a dash of nutmeg to the filling for a Greek-inspired twist.
- Pesto and sundried tomato breadsticks with Italian seasoning: Spread a thin layer of basil pesto on the puff pastry before adding the cheese. Top with chopped sundries tomatoes and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Sweet and savoury combo: Instead of garlic powder and oregano, use cinnamon and sugar for a sweet variation. Sprinkle a little sea salt on top for a sweet and salty combination.
- Herb and seed cheesy breadsticks: Mix a variety of dried herbs like rosemary, thyme, and sage into the cheese mixture. Add some sesame seeds or poppy seeds for texture and visual appeal, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Use Quality Puff Pastry: Choose a good-quality store-bought puff pastry for the best results. Look for one made with real butter for a rich and flaky texture.
- Thaw Properly: Follow the instructions on the puff pastry package for thawing. Typically, puff pastry needs to be thawed in the refrigerator, not at room temperature, for even results.
- Flour for Rolling: Lightly flour your work surface when rolling out the puff pastry. This will prevent it from sticking and tearing.
- Even Cheese Distribution: When adding the cheese filling, make sure to distribute it evenly along the length of each strip to ensure that every bite is cheesy.
- Don’t Overstuff: Avoid overloading the pastry with cheese, as it can lead to leakage during baking. A moderate amount of cheese is sufficient.
- Chill Before Baking: Once you’ve twisted the breadsticks, place them in the refrigerator for about 15–20 minutes. This helps the puff pastry maintain its shape and rise better in the oven.
How to store puff pastry cheesy breadsticks
Let the breadsticks cool to room temperature before storing to prevent condensation inside the storage container. If you plan to eat the breadsticks within a day or two, you can place them in an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag. Make sure they fit without too much empty space to minimize air exposure.
If you want to enjoy the breadsticks again, you can reheat them in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for a few minutes. This will help restore their crispiness.
Puff pastry should be thawed in the refrigerator, following the instructions on the package. This usually takes a few hours or overnight.
Yes, you can use different types of cheese. Mozzarella, cheddar, Swiss, feta, and Parmesan are all great options. Mix and match to suit your taste
Yes, you can make them in advance and reheat them in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for a few minutes to restore their crispiness.
You can experiment with seasonings like rosemary, thyme, paprika, cayenne, or your favourite herbs and spices.
Ensure the breadsticks are adequately spaced on the baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven. Avoid underbaking, and if the cheese leaks out, use parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- CAPRESE STYLE TOMATO & MOZZARELLA APPETIZER
- NUTELLA TWISTS WITH PUFF PASTRY
- PUFF PASTRY POPPY SEED CHOCOLATE BABKA
- PUFF PASTRY PEACH GALETTE
- MAPLE PECAN PLAITS PASTRY
CHEESY BREADSTICKS WITH PUFF PASTRY
- 1 sheet of store-bought puff pastry thawed
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
- Marinara sauce for dipping (optional)
- Preheat the oven & place the parchment paper on the baking sheet or lightly grease it to prevent sticking.
- Unfold the thawed puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll it out slightly to smooth and enlarge it if necessary. Cut it into strips, about 1 inch wide, or your desired size for the breadsticks.
- In a small bowl, mix together the shredded mozzarella and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Take each strip of puff pastry and brush it with melted butter. Sprinkle a generous amount of the cheese mixture over the buttered strip. You can also add a pinch of garlic powder & coarse salt.
- Gently twist each strip to create a spiral effect. Place the twisted breadsticks on the prepared baking sheet, leaving a little space between each one.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for about 12–15 minutes, or until the breadsticks are golden brown and puffed up. Remove the cheesy breadsticks from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping, if desired.
Pin it for later!
Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.”